Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I finished "Ulysses"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.14.2009, 03:17 PM   #21
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't say I didn't enjoy Ulysses, I did, immensely, even if it was long winded and utterly pointless. I didn't enjoy As I Lay Dying. I don't think Faulkner conveys his intended message well, at least in this book.
Old 04.14.2009, 03:28 PM   #22
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
Ya, I understand. I was going to challenge your tendency to hawk in on 'a message' or a thesis etc. I can't defend Faulkner though because I haven't read him yet.
Kloriel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 03:31 PM   #23
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I will say the passage that turned me against him was the paragraph about 1/4 of the way into the book where the youngest child rationalizes that since his mother is dead and the fish he caught is also dead, his mother is a fish. After that it launches into about 3/4 of a page of "what is being? are we being during sleep?" etc etc in a very poor attempt to make a point.
Old 04.14.2009, 03:56 PM   #24
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
im about 3/4 of the way through as i lay dying right now...im enjoying it...its not revelatory like most of the people who recommended it made it out to be...but it is a pretty good story with believable characters and...it has something to say about the demise of southern tradition in the wake of a rapidly changing national identity etc etc modernism.

oh yeah, add me to the list of people who got 100-somethign pages thorugh ulysses and then threw in the towel...a couple years ago.
Old 04.14.2009, 03:58 PM   #25
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
I have Ulysses in my bookshelf but I don't know if I'll read it right now.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 04:52 PM   #26
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I got 50 pages through Ulysses and was absolutely loving reading it, and then somehow i managed to lose the thing. The Biggest Book Ever, and i lose it.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 04:55 PM   #27
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
I received Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake a few days ago for my birthday from a friend whose never read a book before. He must have looked them up on a list or something and obviously he won’t be able to distinguish between something challenging (in a cosy 'intellectual' way like a cryptic crossword) and something infuriatingly difficult. I doubt I'll ever read Finnegan's Wake. However I have read the entirety of In Search Of Lost Time (and started doing so a second time) which isn't difficult at all despite its length, with the books being split into separate stories, and the books not having to be read all in one sequence (i.e., being self-contained in a way).
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 06:13 PM   #28
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thindarkduke13
Damn, it feels good. I can scratch that off my list of things to read before I die. I waa extremely condescending to all my friends today. One of my teachers too. He wasn't mad though; he thought it was amazing as he never finished it.

Congrats. I got it a few weeks ago for 4 euros (new).
Haven't even made an attempt in starting in it though. Plus it's in English, so I have no idea if I'll be able to understand much of it, but for that price it seemed worth a try.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 06:53 PM   #29
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRA
I received Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake a few days ago for my birthday from a friend whose never read a book before. He must have looked them up on a list or something and obviously he won’t be able to distinguish between something challenging (in a cosy 'intellectual' way like a cryptic crossword) and something infuriatingly difficult. I doubt I'll ever read Finnegan's Wake. However I have read the entirety of In Search Of Lost Time (and started doing so a second time) which isn't difficult at all despite its length, with the books being split into separate stories, and the books not having to be read all in one sequence (i.e., being self-contained in a way).

When I bought Finnegan's Wake the lady at the counter told me "Good Luck".. I think I'll tackle it and the rest of Joyce in the fall, because right now I'm all about crime/thriller/Florida stuff.
Old 04.14.2009, 09:06 PM   #30
thindarkduke13
bad moon rising

thindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's asses
About As I Lay Dying, I hated it at first, but I reread it twice and then it sunk in. I prefer The Sound and the Fury but AILD is still great. The Cora-Whitfield-Addie chapter triple punch is one of the most wonderful things I've ever read. Strangely enough, Ulysses didn't anger me like AILD did
Find the last poor Preterite one . . .
Till the Riders sleep by ev'ry road,
All through our crippl'd Zone,
With a face in ev'ry Mountainside
And a Soul in ev'ry stone

Now Everybody -
thindarkduke13 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2012, 10:02 AM   #31
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
my balls are busted with people telling me not to read it; and guess what, usually those people are the ones who havent.

i started it yesterday and i m doing smth that i hope is not a very bad idea, that it wont bore me. i read from the translation and then from the english book. i dont want to miss many things from his writing.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth