Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums: 2017
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.02.2018, 12:31 PM   #461
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
other planetariums in the country have 360 video groups as well. COSI's is called domelab. do you live in ohio or where? wondering how you know of shiflet but haven't seen him play.

no. I'm in Europe. found him via TYPE label, who released his Merciless LP which I really like and I have it on vax. he also has a plenty of split releases with other musicians like Daniel Menche, 16 Bitch Pile Up, Aaron Dilloway, Pete Swanson... his name pop out on peoples mixtapes from time to time, I heard his stuff on WFMU too, also I have found some of his field recordings on the internet. he is not that unknown. btw, I think he is a big SY fan too . yeah, haven't seen him live. and in planetarium setting? nice.

oh, I see, I'll be checking cosi's domelab.

cheers.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2018, 03:10 AM   #462
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
wow. wtf is that? great for recording continuous drone. haven't read the comments below yet. is this all internal effects or it is running via some external effect. hold on...

1; long delay (capable of near infinite feedback looping)
2; tight, notated granular delay
3; huge plate reverb
4; shimmering reverb
5; distortion and multi-filter
6; pitch delay
7; stutter glitch
Alter 2 has the following effects:
1; analog delay
2; reverb with infinite capture and lp + hp filters
3; choral reverb
4; palindrome reverse delay - backward/forward repeat
5; time stretch
6; pitch shift (notated semi-tones
7; time stretch glitch

nice. pricey as fuck..

but man, that nano garden...half cheaper...

the resonating garden is I believe 3 separate effect units (3x Folktek Alter) + 3x pickup microphones that feed the effect units.
I'd instantly buy it, but I'm worried about import tax and customs - I heard that it's a nightmare with shipping larger units from US to our homeland.
We'll talk more when we meet for beers on Thursday.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2018, 05:39 AM   #463
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah, Big Brave were amazing live. espec. doing their drone ambient stuff with guitar feedback. def. surprise for me this year. I checked their stuff after, but it was not as intense as seeing them live. recording of their set I did from Le Guess Who, where they participated in 12 hrs. drone thing turned out brilliant.

Prurient live was also great to see.

Sarah Davachi too (glad that after missing to make a recording of her gig in Vienna I managed to record her gig in Utrecht, which turned out to be a brilliant recording too. yeah 2 times for me this year. she is from Canada, so it was lovely to see her traveling Europe so intensively last year).

Thurston Moore live with the band + impro after long-ish time...da best.

Pissed Jeans + Protomartyr - so refreshing to hear and see a propper punk/rock show after long-ish time.

not as many gigs last year as I would wish, but it could be worst. few more memorable gigs from the top of my head right now. My Cat Is An Alien, Andrea Belfi, Wolf Eyes, Lawrence English, Okkyung Lee, Kara Lis Coverdale, Lee Ranaldo, have to mention _slavo_´s Casi Cada Minuto, he is always good live, oh yeah I really enjoyed The Ex live surprisingly, Sun Kil Moon...

then there were gigs where I was not sure what to think of them + pretentious + at times cool at times horrid. + funny, like f. e. Ben Frost, Shabazz Palaces, Princess Nokia, Visible Cloaks and few more...

pissed off I have missed GAS live (clashed with Thurston Moore / Hans Bennik) and maybe William Basinsky too (still haven´t heard his last album).

prurient, the ex and thurston were great! sorry i missed Sarah Davachi.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2018, 01:38 AM   #464
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Rolling Stone top 20 avant records 2017

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...-eater-w514246

Old 01.05.2018, 01:41 AM   #465
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
the resonating garden is I believe 3 separate effect units (3x Folktek Alter) + 3x pickup microphones that feed the effect units.
I'd instantly buy it, but I'm worried about import tax and customs - I heard that it's a nightmare with shipping larger units from US to our homeland.
We'll talk more when we meet for beers on Thursday.

how do you always find those things? i am completly hooked. never heard about folktek before. now I see they do eurorack stuff too. i am blown away by resonating garden and that omnichord modified by folktek? uff.

Old 01.05.2018, 01:49 AM   #466
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
prurient, the ex and thurston were great! sorry i missed Sarah Davachi.

that Prurient new release is something else. almost 3 and half hours of doom electronics in collab. with Matt Folden of Dual Action and Jim Mroz of Lussuria mixed by guy from Shifted. it is not easily digestable though.

just seen Big Brave are returning to Europe for Roadburn fest and they should be touring 3 weeks intensively after the fest. it would be nice to catch them.

Old 01.05.2018, 03:27 AM   #467
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
how do you always find those things? i am completly hooked. never heard about folktek before. now I see they do eurorack stuff too. i am blown away by resonating garden and that omnichord modified by folktek. uff.

Folktek is a pretty well-known brand if you're into this sort of thing. I've had my eyes on their stuff for several years but this is the first time that I'm actually considering purchasing something from them.
If there wasn't this terrible thing with import tax and customs fee for shipping from US from Slovakia, I'd buy it instantly.
But I don't want to end up paying 200-300 EUR more than the initial price, innit.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2018, 04:28 AM   #468
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Folktek is a pretty well-known brand if you're into this sort of thing. I've had my eyes on their stuff for several years but this is the first time that I'm actually considering purchasing something from them.
If there wasn't this terrible thing with import tax and customs fee for shipping from US from Slovakia, I'd buy it instantly.
But I don't want to end up paying 200-300 EUR more than the initial price, innit.

that sucks alright. besides RG is pricey enough on its own. no exclusive dealer in EU for the similar price i suppose, once you have yr. eyes on it, huh?

Old 01.05.2018, 06:04 AM   #469
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
My Favourite 2017 Albums

‎1. Alice Coltrane - World Spirituality Classics 1: The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane ‎Turiyasangitananda‎

It’s a pleasant surprise to see Alice Coltrane and Ornette Coleman on Moshe and the Rolling Stone list, yet neither is on the others list??? I haven’t heard either one, but I hope to pick each up in the near future.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2018, 06:10 PM   #470
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
It’s a pleasant surprise to see Alice Coltrane and Ornette Coleman on Moshe and the Rolling Stone list, yet neither is on the others list??? I haven’t heard either one, but I hope to pick each up in the near future.

yeah, Moshe was praising this album, haven't had a chance to hear it.

did he catch to see Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda performed by the Sai Anantam Ashram Singers I wonder, since I can not see it on his live list?

Old 01.05.2018, 06:13 PM   #471
greenlight
invito al cielo

g, did U2 released album in 2017 as well? did not know that.

Old 01.05.2018, 06:55 PM   #472
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
g? did U2 released album in 2017 as well? did not know that.

Yeah, right at the end there. Songs of Experience. Haven’t heard it but got it for my stepfather for Christmas. Probably terrible beyond measure.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2018, 05:43 PM   #473
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
g, did U2 released album in 2017 as well? did not know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, right at the end there. Songs of Experience. Haven’t heard it but got it for my stepfather for Christmas. Probably terrible beyond measure.

Spot the Big Lebowski reference on the AllMusic review and win a prize (from me, seriously):

https://www.allmusic.com/album/songs...e-mw0003122263

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2018, 08:35 PM   #474
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Spot the Big Lebowski reference on the AllMusic review and win a prize (from me, seriously):

https://www.allmusic.com/album/songs...e-mw0003122263

What the hell man? I don’t want to read a G-D AllMusic review just to mine my Lebowski mind caves. I didn’t even realize AllMusic was still a thing.

Just tell us what the reference is, yo!
Old 01.06.2018, 08:37 PM   #475
Severian
invito al cielo

It’s really funny that major institutions have such different opinions on this thing. Rolling Stone called it “brilliant.”
Old 01.06.2018, 08:38 PM   #476
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Just tell us what the reference is, yo!

No! I mean, yes, eventually, soon, I will, but hey, let's give them peoples here a chance to win the prize first...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 01.06.2018, 08:53 PM   #477
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
It’s really funny that major institutions have such different opinions on this thing. Rolling Stone called it “brilliant.”

FUCK Rolling Stone. I know — "Oh, that's original, you're only the fiftieth million person to say that" — but look at that damn list: it includes a bunch of albums from the Magnet and The Wire spheres (oooh, RS is hip now!) only to pack the top 10 with Sam Smith, QOTS, Taylor fucking Swift, U2, Lorde and the flavor of the day, Kendrick Lamar. Wenner, just GO already.

Old 01.06.2018, 11:21 PM   #478
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
FUCK Rolling Stone. I know — "Oh, that's original, you're only the fiftieth million person to say that" — but look at that damn list: it includes a bunch of albums from the Magnet and The Wire spheres (oooh, RS is hip now!) only to pack the top 10 with Sam Smith, QOTS, Taylor fucking Swift, U2, Lorde and the flavor of the day, Kendrick Lamar. Wenner, just GO already.

Kendrick Lamar is legitimately responsible for the best album of the year, and he’s been the “flavor of the day” since 2012 (or earlier, in mixtape communities), so... flavor of the half-decade? Don’t fucking insult yourself by insinuating that he’s not one of the best things in music right now.

But I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. Those other albums do suck. Lorde isn’t bad though.
Old 01.07.2018, 03:10 AM   #479
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
did he catch to see Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda performed by the Sai Anantam Ashram Singers I wonder, since I can not see it on his live list?

I did. It was ok. It was more gospel than avantgarde...
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2018, 08:05 PM   #480
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
HEARs my annual favorites mixtape!

stream at mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/2chainz1cup...ts-disk-i-xxy/

https://www.mixcloud.com/2chainz1cup...ts-disk-ii-xx/

or
mp3s

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5z08np...tive+facts.zip
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
212223 24 2526 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth