Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page South Park vs. Muslim Extremists....again.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.23.2010, 02:51 PM   #21
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
fuck the "sacred"

Really though? Doesn't everyone hold something sacred? The American constitution, for instance, or your love of 'real' instruments. There's a difference of order, of course, but no real difference in the hallowed status of certain things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 03:15 PM   #22
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Alternative interpretation: an easy way to get publicity for a lame cartoon.

Ditto.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 03:16 PM   #23
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
To me, all they do in SP is swearing (it fits with the current thread), but I never watched an episode entirely..
And I love the Simpsons, but I won't argue, it's a matter of taste.

You're thinking of '97 SP, back when the show was still burying it's roots. They've been much more political lately, without firmly leaning towards either side. The show is notorious for taking the piss out of everyone, and everything; and doing so at a blindingly quick rate due to their production techniques, often only days after an issue strikes.

I can partially dig older episodes of the Simpsons, and I know most of the main cast by name...but it's like beating a dead horse these days.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 03:23 PM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Really though? Doesn't everyone hold something sacred? The American constitution, for instance, or your love of 'real' instruments. There's a difference of order, of course, but no real difference in the hallowed status of certain things.

the constitution and analog instruments are not sacred. they are revered by me, but sacred means untouchable and implies infallibility. the moment anyone decrees that this or that is "sacred" they are exerting control over the thoughts and actions of those who do not view it as sacred or sacred yet.
Old 04.23.2010, 03:24 PM   #25
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.23.2010, 03:29 PM   #26
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
I just don't see the point of disrespecting people simply to upset them, and it seems that South Park does this alot.
Old 04.23.2010, 03:31 PM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
being "offended' is ussually the first step in honestly questioning what one believes.
Old 04.23.2010, 03:33 PM   #28
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
but we are not talking mainstream Islam here. we are talking about extremists pushing a middle ages rhetoric.
and frankly, most people (50%+) in the USA know jack shit about islam other than it exists.
I'm talking about South Park, and you are talking about Islam.
But what's the point about dissing Islam?
People who are raised in islamic countries join Islam because they're told to.
Eventually they'll quit later.

People who are raised in another religion, and later join Islam, like Cat Stevens, probably know more about it than you and me..

---

Do you seriously think that a dude with a big beard, living in north Africa, can have an influence on the content of a cartoon made by americans, for ameicans??
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 03:34 PM   #29
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

That's true. I think they take the wrong approach personally, though, and just end up really making people feel angry and aggressive.

Edit- in regards to Rob's post
Old 04.23.2010, 03:38 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm talking about South Park, and you are talking about Islam.
But what's the point about dissing Islam?
People who are raised in islamic countries join Islam because they're told to.
Eventually they'll quit later.

People who are raised in another religion, and later join Islam, like Cat Stevens, probably know more about it than you and me..

---

Do you seriously think that a dude with a big beard, living in north Africa, can have an influence on the content of a cartoon made by americans, for ameicans??

I am talking about idiot's reactions to a TV show they do not watch, whether they are muslim or fucking scientologists, it does not matter,. they are fuckheads.

I am down with "dissing" any and all religions. fuck em all. (anti-theism for humanity's win)

Obviously, a dude with a big beard, living 800 years ago, spouted some rhetoric which was turned into a religion which in turn has influenced the content of a cartoon made by americans for americans. It happened.

rather than let the furor start, comdey central (or viacom or whoever of the three large corporations that own all broadcasting owns it) decided to, without the knowledge or input of the shows creators or poducers, alter the show in case some fuck with a homemade bomb up his ass was watching and got mad, or just heard about it and got mad.
Old 04.23.2010, 03:48 PM   #31
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I think Paramount owns CC. But, SP's attacks aren't pointless. They even sum up the moral intent of the subject matter at the end of each episode. The entire series truly is brilliant.
Old 04.23.2010, 03:52 PM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flophousefloozie
That's true. I think they take the wrong approach personally, though, and just end up really making people feel angry and aggressive.

Edit- in regards to Rob's post

You have just defined why every satirist from Swift to Twain to South Park have been decried and ridiculed and why they SHOULD continue doing what they do. fuck people if they can't take a joke.
Old 04.23.2010, 03:54 PM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

paramount and all they own and control are actually owned and controlled by Viacom.
as of 2008 this is what Viacom owns
MTV
MTV2
mtvU
AtomFilms
Addicting Games
Gamerailers
Harmonix
MTVN International
MTV TR3S
Neopets
Parents Connect
Quizilla
Rhapsody
Shockwave
VH1
VH1 Classic
VH1 Soul
Virtual Worlds
XFIRE
Nickelodeon
Nick Jr.
BET
BET J
Nick at Nite
TV Land
NOGGIN
VH1
Spike TV
CMT
Comedy Central

Paramount Pictures
Paramount Home Entertainment
Dreamworks Studiis
Paramount Vantage
MTV Films
Nickelodeon Movies
Home Entertainment
Old 04.23.2010, 03:57 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and all the output of all those media companies are controlled by one rich old white guy and a board of directors of maybe 12-20 people.
Old 04.23.2010, 04:01 PM   #35
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
You have just defined why every satirist from Swift to Twain to South Park have been decried and ridiculed and why they SHOULD continue doing what they do. fuck people if they can't take a joke.

I agree to disagree. Yes, I think it would be good if more people could learn to take a joke, but some people are just sensitive, due to whatever circumstances in their life have brought them to be that way.

I think there are other approaches than to just keep hatrid spinning in an endless, circular battle. Muslim Extremists could mellow out, and not take everything so personally. South Park could stop stabbing at open wounds.
Old 04.23.2010, 04:01 PM   #36
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
IObviously, a dude with a big beard, living 800 years ago, spouted some rhetoric which was turned into a religion which in turn has influenced the content of a cartoon made by americans for americans. It happened.
Bullshit.
Tell some islamic-algerians that you are american, and you allow them to eat pig, it will have the same influence: almost none.

edit: Eugene, I stopped watching the Simpsons at season 13.
You may agree that it was a good show before it?..
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 04:10 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Bullshit.
Tell some islamic-algerians that you are american, and you allow them to eat pig, it will have the same influence: almost none.

yr comparing apples and oranges.

let some algerian TV show start making little jokes about Jesus, and then let some right wing fanatics start threatening the algerians with death for airing such a cartoon. THEN your comparison would hold water
Old 04.23.2010, 04:18 PM   #38
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I didn't know Viacom was above Paramount. Damn.
Old 04.23.2010, 04:27 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

There are THREE corporations that own every single "major" record label in the whole country.

hell, ONE corporation, clearchannel, owns 95% of the FM radio stations in the USA

I blame Bill Clinton for passing the FCC act,.
Old 04.23.2010, 04:28 PM   #40
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
edit: Eugene, I stopped watching the Simpsons at season 13.
You may agree that it was a good show before it?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
I can partially dig older episodes of the Simpsons, and I know most of the main cast by name...but it's like beating a dead horse these days.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth