Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page This girl needs your support RIGHT NOW!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.20.2013, 02:17 PM   #1
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
No this is not a sex related spam ad. Just please sign this petition:
Stop the prosecution of an 18 year old girl in a same-sex relationship

Or do whatever you possibly can to help her out otherwise. Here or here is a US press article about this story.

Thank you

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2013, 04:09 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i read that earlier on gawker. Not sure of what's what. If it was an 18 year old dude fucking a 15 year old girl, would people be screaming statutory rape? I don't know...

I'll say, however, that prosecutors have a lot of leeway, and this one appears to be an asshole.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2013, 04:13 PM   #3
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i read that earlier on gawker. Not sure of what's what. If it was an 18 year old dude fucking a 15 year old girl, would people be screaming statutory rape?

we had seniors going out with freshman in high school. The sex lives of the students was not the business of the State. These rightwingers are out of control. They hate our freedoms.

i thought there were laws to protect this situation? So the boy turns 18 and suddenly he's a rapist. Someone needs to start following these DAs around with cameras, you know they're fucking children and animals.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2013, 04:18 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
we had seniors going out with freshman in high school. The sex lives of the students was not the business of the State. These rightwingers are out of control. They hate our freedoms.

i thought there were laws to protect this situation? So the boy turns 18 and suddenly he's a rapist. Someone needs to start following these DAs around with cameras, you know they're fucking children and animals.

well, i grew up without those paranoias also, and when i was 15 no 15 year old girl would give us the time of day-- they prefered the older dudes. but that's the 3rd wold for you, which isn't so age-segregated.

this story in particular is not a boy/girl thing but it's about a girl-on-girl situation where presumably the prosecutor is being anti-lesbian. but the girl was maybe 14-- not sure about the age difference. in any case, politicians fuck goats and marco rubio makes love to water bottles.
Old 05.23.2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i read that earlier on gawker. Not sure of what's what. If it was an 18 year old dude fucking a 15 year old girl, would people be screaming statutory rape? I don't know...

I'll say, however, that prosecutors have a lot of leeway, and this one appears to be an asshole.

Paedo, more like.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
It's my understanding that in every State, minors do not have the right to consent to a relationship with an adult.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2013, 12:40 AM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I disagree with 17 year olds having long-term relationships with 14 year olds, so if she is 18 and 15 I think she should be old enough to make better decisions. Cutting off the sexual relationship would be appropriate, because age isn't just a number, and there is something a bit wrong with 17 and 14/15 to begin with. I'm not sure I agree with strict prosecution/persecution, but I definitely don't agree with them continuing that relationship, gay or straight.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2013, 01:09 AM   #8
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I disagree with 17 year olds having long-term relationships with 14 year olds, so if she is 18 and 15 I think she should be old enough to make better decisions. Cutting off the sexual relationship would be appropriate, because age isn't just a number, and there is something a bit wrong with 17 and 14/15 to begin with. I'm not sure I agree with strict prosecution/persecution, but I definitely don't agree with them continuing that relationship, gay or straight.

explain. I don't remember feeling any different at 17 than I did 15. I mean, I was still in school, still dealing with most of the same school/teenage related issued, hobbies were more or less the same. I don't know. Only real difference I remember was having a part time job.
Old 05.24.2013, 01:17 AM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
explain. I don't remember feeling any different at 17 than I did 15. I mean, I was still in school, still dealing with most of the same school/teenage related issued, hobbies were more or less the same. I don't know. Only real difference I remember was having a part time job.

Again, if a 17 going on 18 year old was in a relationship with a 14 going on 15, I'd be skeptical. Even if that 17 year old was emotionally less-developed, I would say we have to hold them equally accountable. If it were 18 and 17 I could see that, because again, I am just as uncomfortable if not more so with 17 and 14. That is essentially a high school senior and an 8th grader, even if the math works out to be freshman and junior. So since 17 and 14 was wrong, its the foundation for what continues to be wrong at 18 and 15, only at 18 we can arbitrarily break this whole thing up. If you can't see the difference between 18 and 15 you haven't walked into a high school in a while, but it is night and day.

I don't agree with throwing the book at them, or with persecuting them because of their being lesbians, but leniency and acceptability are two different things. I can be lenient with the 18 year old but not accepting of that age gap. 18 and 17 maybe, 18 and 15 is too far.

Old 05.24.2013, 08:06 AM   #10
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
This young man needs your help - he didn't even rap in a cathedral

He's 18 and lives in a small town outside Boston. He wants to be a rapper and calls himself "Cammy Dee" in his YouTube videos. He has been locked up without bail for weeks -- facing terrorismcharges and 20 years in prison -- all for lyrics he posted on Facebook calling the Whitehouse a "federal house of horror." The Marathon Bombing was merely mentioned. Shortly after that he was arrested and charged with Communicating a Terrorist Threat, a felony that carries 20 years in prison.

The post contained no specific threat of violence against any person or group of people, and in the context of the rest of the lyrics and Cams' rap persona, it was clearly nothing more than a metaphor. A search of Cam's house found NO evidence that he was planning any violence, but a judge still ordered him held without bail for the next 3 months, pending trial.

A search of Cam's house found no explosives, weapons, or ANY evidence that he was planning anything other than becoming the next Eminem.

Take a minute to watch the video of one of Cam's songs http://youtu.be/-wbJTHkdBMc and decide for yourself whether you think he's a threat to public safety, or just a teenager speaking his mind.

Cam is locked up right now and he needs your help. Civil liberties groups haven't jumped in to help. The judge has shown severe bias already. Cam's best shot at justice is to make sure that Authorities in this small town know that the rest of the country is watching, and that we won't let them set a precedent of arresting teenagers for angsty lyrics.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2013, 01:23 AM   #11
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Again, if a 17 going on 18 year old was in a relationship with a 14 going on 15, I'd be skeptical. Even if that 17 year old was emotionally less-developed, I would say we have to hold them equally accountable. If it were 18 and 17 I could see that, because again, I am just as uncomfortable if not more so with 17 and 14. That is essentially a high school senior and an 8th grader, even if the math works out to be freshman and junior. So since 17 and 14 was wrong, its the foundation for what continues to be wrong at 18 and 15, only at 18 we can arbitrarily break this whole thing up. If you can't see the difference between 18 and 15 you haven't walked into a high school in a while, but it is night and day.

I don't agree with throwing the book at them, or with persecuting them because of their being lesbians, but leniency and acceptability are two different things. I can be lenient with the 18 year old but not accepting of that age gap. 18 and 17 maybe, 18 and 15 is too far.

I think 18 and 15 is close enough. Both are insanely young. In most cases there will not be a drastic difference (if one at all...) in maturity.
Old 05.25.2013, 07:33 AM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I think 18 and 15 is close enough. Both are insanely young. In most cases there will not be a drastic difference (if one at all...) in maturity.

in a state of nature, once you hit puberty you're ready to make babies.

socially however it's a very different story.

hence this:

http://www2.winchester.ac.uk/edstudi...Civil-Disc.pdf

Old 05.25.2013, 07:38 AM   #13
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Socially attitudes towards puberty and so called mid-life crisis have changed quite a bit.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2013, 08:07 AM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Socially attitudes towards puberty and so called mid-life crisis have changed quite a bit.

social attitudes always change. what do you mean though? stuff like NAMBLA isn't gonna be mainstream any time soon.
Old 05.25.2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
i'd like to find out what you mean by social attitudes first.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2013, 08:20 AM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
i'd like to find out what you mean by social attitudes first.

well let's see. among the romans, girls were married right after puberty, men were usually older. many centuries later, rousseau and other people invented childhood. a special category of people-- not little adults but smething else. still, childhood more or less ended at around 13 (the age when a jewish boy does his bar mitzvah for example). in the middle of the 20th century childhood started becoming this protracted thing that seemingly never ends:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/317267

at the same time, since the 60s r probably 50s the availability of money in the hand of adolescents in the developed world has created the so-called "youth-rebellion" movements which are a form of channelling consumerism in the search of "freedom" among various products.

so we have the progressive infantilization of adolescents at the same time that adolescents demand adult rights.

which produces a very funny conflict for which i have no answers.

all i notice is that american colleges have become these day care centers for overgrown children and some people never turn into actual adults.

protect the children! but, fuckit, for how ever long?

here a funny book review:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic..._books_kolbert

social attitudes: who is a child, who is an adult, how do we deal with the space in-between?
Old 05.25.2013, 01:30 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

The problem is that in our "post-modern" world we have radically devolved the role of adolescence and basically replaced the ages 13-18 from a responsible transition into adulthood into an extended childhood. Instead of allowing for our young people the opportunity to mature, we intentionally stunt their emotional, psychological, and spiritual growth. We have CREATED this weird teenage phase. Teenagers have the potential to be mature, accountable, progressing young adults, but instead our society and system is designed to coddle them. UNFORTUNATELY THE ONLY TIME WE AFFORD TEENAGERS WITH ADULT OPPORTUNITY IS WHEN WE CONVICT THEM AS ADULTS FOR CRIMES

So in a biological sense, there is indeed not to much distancing 18 to 15, but in the pseudo-teenage world we've created for them, these folks are extended children. However, by 18 folks have been driving, working, paying bills (hopefully), more extended dating, maybe been to a funeral, have explored or applied to a college, been to a wedding more likely, and all kinds of other adult shit. At 15? Not so much. See the experience of the 18 years helps build greater maturity even if they don't want or realize it, and 15 while physically mature is more childish than they know. From my experience, freshman can almost be MORE mature than sophmores, because at 14 they are very eager to LEARN how to be older, and at 15-16 they get that cocky teenage swagger as if they had in that short learn learned it all. Then at 17 they get stressed by the onslaught of increasingly adult experiences and responsibilities so they mellow out, and by 18-19 I expect them to be adults. If they don't ACT like adults, that doesn't change the expectation. At college? It is a joke. ALL those fuckers KNOW better, but again, our society and the system coddles them. I say FUCK IT, make a lot of these fuckers PAY more themselves out the pocket, they will wise up and act their age REAL FUCKING QUICK

Old 05.29.2013, 07:17 AM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

these people need your support right now:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174551...strikes-today#

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth