Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.01.2016, 09:41 AM   #941
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I never hear Kanye played on "black" radio, whether it be the "classic hip hop" station or the 3 that play current hip hop here in Houston. I never heard Public Enemy on black radio either, until the oldies hip hop market started, and then I hear them on late saturdays when the DJ is feeling adventurous.
Old 03.01.2016, 10:19 AM   #942
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I grew up during the 80's when the punk and independent bands did their own thing and kept prices low at the door. I absolutely HATED going to see Nine Inch Nails and seeing that they were selling shitty fucking t-shirts for $45 (in 1992 dollars!) What a rip-off. No entertainer is worth that bullshit.

For around a decade and a half I would not go to any shows that cost more than $20 for a ticket, and I got to see Mr. Bungle, Fugazi, Dinosaur, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, Nirvana, RHCP, Skinny Puppy, MInistry, etc., not to mention countless smaller acts.

The only reason I deigned to pay $100 a ticket to go see an octogenarian was because my wife has been a lifelong Tony Bennett fan and she had never seen him perform...

Yeah. $20 for a ticket is fair for a good band. I've seen plenty of bands for that amount or less. Nirvana, SY, Dino here too. But I've usually paid around $30-35. One of the last times I saw SY the ticket was $35. But I've only spent $100 or more a handful of times, usually at festivals for multiple day passes.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2016, 10:31 AM   #943
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I never hear Kanye played on "black" radio, whether it be the "classic hip hop" station or the 3 that play current hip hop here in Houston. I never heard Public Enemy on black radio either, until the oldies hip hop market started, and then I hear them on late saturdays when the DJ is feeling adventurous.

I don't listen to to radio much, but I've heard "Stronger" a ton of times. "Christmas in Harlem" is another one that get a ton of play during the holidays. That's a great song by the way, overlooked in the Kanye canon because it's a non-album track, but a genuinely great song.

I think a lot it has to do with the fact that most of Kanye's music since 2010 has been extremely non radio friendly. I heard "Bound 2" a few times, but other than that I'm not sure what would get a lot of air play from the last few albums. Though the 808's singles did do very well... better perhaps than the album did.
Old 03.01.2016, 02:48 PM   #944
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
that basically sums up my experience with friends and music.

"Hey man, listen to this".

then again, I am naïve. thinking if I get close to someone they'll dig what I like.
Hey man, listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7cLZRqqznU

!!!

(Rob and SuchFriends, don't sleep too.. NR and Sev already like the dude but y'all should watch it anyway because it's an amazing showcase of TALENT and versatility.. AND this performance fucking rocked!)
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2016, 03:06 PM   #945
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I grew up during the 80's when the punk and independent bands did their own thing and kept prices low at the door. I absolutely HATED going to see Nine Inch Nails and seeing that they were selling shitty fucking t-shirts for $45 (in 1992 dollars!) What a rip-off. No entertainer is worth that bullshit.

For around a decade and a half I would not go to any shows that cost more than $20 for a ticket, and I got to see Mr. Bungle, Fugazi, Dinosaur, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, Nirvana, RHCP, Skinny Puppy, MInistry, etc., not to mention countless smaller acts.

The only reason I deigned to pay $100 a ticket to go see an octogenarian was because my wife has been a lifelong Tony Bennett fan and she had never seen him perform...
Considering that touring is the primary source of income i confess to feeling guilty to still be paying 90s prices for shows. Last show i went to was $10, several were under $20 and a few were just $5!!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2016, 03:13 PM   #946
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
chief keef rolls 13 gram joints
Old 03.01.2016, 05:42 PM   #947
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
im gonna be honest with you guys. most black guys I know do not flat out like Kanye West. most of them are my age or maybe a little younger who sorta love most hip hop.

i'll play Kanye for them and they're like " naw man, ain't feeling that shit". uh ok but, listen to this song....."naw man, turn that shit off". it could be of course that they're not that into music or hearing anything outside of radio. my friend Big Joe is like..."clint man, you listen to some out there shit".

now, I have met younger black kids that are extremely into him. weird.

yeah, I know a lot of black folks. not trying to come off as some naïve white guy but, Kanye is way more popular with the youngins.

uhm, just thought I throw that out there.

Yes I've noticed this as well. I used to live near several younger black folks and they would hang out with me and talk about rap, and they liked Kanye, but were more into whatever was hot right then.

Older black folks, from my experience, are polarized by Kanye. For good reason, many of them feel like he doesn't set a great example for black people. At the same time, plenty of people feel the opposite. Also, I've found, most people over a certain age don't listen to hip-hop. so I'm a little stunted developmentally, apparently.
Old 03.01.2016, 06:31 PM   #948
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Kanye had a Christmas song? I had no idea.
Old 03.01.2016, 07:18 PM   #949
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Kanye had a Christmas song? I had no idea.

Dude! What? Seriously? You've never heard "Christmas in Harlem?" Wow!!!

Waste no time, my friend. Check that shot out now. It may be a little late for Christmas, but this song has soul enough for the whole year!

Kanye West (feat. Cyhi Da Prince & Teyana Taylor) -"Christmas in Harlem"

(Sorry- there's a Glade ad at the beginning... get through it though, song's worth it)
Old 03.01.2016, 09:48 PM   #950
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah, I've been on job sites with younger black kids working painting to pay maybe hopefully for college who were obsessed with Kanye.

ha! I had one these kids plug his phone into my construction boom box to blast Watch the Throne and not to mention the conversation I had with him about hip hop. moments like these make my job worthwhile.

That's legitimately awesome man.
When I was still wasting a huge chunk of my life working for a shitty marketing and accounting firm, the one great thing about my job was that I was allowed to sit down at my desk, plug in my headphones, and listen to whatever the fuck I wanted to listen to, often for the entire 8-12 hours I was there. That's where I fell in love with Kanye.

I hated that job and everyone I worked with, but the music made it bearable.
Old 03.01.2016, 09:54 PM   #951
Severian
invito al cielo

TDE (which I now know means Top Dawg Entertainment, thanks to louder) apparently teased that there may be a new Kendrick album in 2016. Yowza!
Old 03.01.2016, 11:55 PM   #952
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ha! that was pretty tight. dude did a james brown and rocked the kit mid song.
YES!!! Hell yeah.
Old 03.01.2016, 11:56 PM   #953
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
TDE (which I now know means Top Dawg Entertainment, thanks to louder) apparently teased that there may be a new Kendrick album in 2016. Yowza!
. He's been working with mainstream producers. Watch his next album being the opposite of TPAB. Reinventing himself on every album.
Old 03.01.2016, 11:59 PM   #954
louder
invito al cielo

Man it's been an AMAZING fucking year for music. I got info on another major artist (whose name I can't reveal yet) dropping soon. And his album might be the best of them all.
Old 03.02.2016, 11:08 AM   #955
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Man it's been an AMAZING fucking year for music. I got info on another major artist (whose name I can't reveal yet) dropping soon. And his album might be the best of them all.

What's this about man? Are you sworn to secrecy or something?
Old 03.02.2016, 11:11 AM   #956
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
. He's been working with mainstream producers. Watch his next album being the opposite of TPAB. Reinventing himself on every album.

Wish he would get into production himself. But I'm glad to hear there will be a change sonically on the next album. TPAB was good, but nobody should try something like that twice. In fact I'd love for him to do a (you guessed it) Kanye produced project! I mean, what the hell could be better than that?
Old 03.02.2016, 11:23 AM   #957
Severian
invito al cielo

Since I stopped following Kanye on Twitter, I've been visiting Pitchfork on an almost daily basis for my Yeezy fix. (Spoiler: pitchfork LOVES Kanye West and will report on ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING he says or does... did you guys know that?)

Anyway, apparently Kanye's involved in the 2 Chainz / Lil Wayne (sigh) collaboration, and I guess something from the project is dropping on Friday.

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/63902-ka...opping-friday/

You know what's sad? While reading this, I was like "oh, okay! Cool..." and then I saw the words "Lil Wayne" and I was like, "awww, man."

Old 03.02.2016, 11:35 AM   #958
Severian
invito al cielo

I was listening to "Gone" from LR so much last week (both the studio version with Cam'ron and the Late Orchestration version with just Cons) that I got all nostalgic and dug out my copy of Cam's Purple Haze, and bought consequence's Don't Quit Your Day Job! Both albums are quite good, if a little (ok, a lot, especially in Cam's case) heavy on the skits.

I'm so glad skits are over. They made rap albums so hard to listen to and take seriously as *albums* because you were always having to skip forward. At the best of times they were funny ONCE, or in the case of "Method Man" they turned into something more than a skit and ended up helping to define the artist. But goddamn, if Late Reg. didn't have skits on it, that album would be a solid 10.
Old 03.02.2016, 11:56 AM   #959
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I love Purple Haze that the skits don't even bother me. It's that good.
Old 03.02.2016, 01:27 PM   #960
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I love Purple Haze that the skits don't even bother me. It's that good.

Hell yeah man. I forgot how much I love "Get Down"... Gotta be one of my favorite rap anthems. Haven't heard it in ages but it's a "Hard Knock Life" level song in my book.
454647 48 4950515898148 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth