Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page A request, or a challenge, however you want to take it.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.15.2010, 09:56 PM   #1
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Get some headphones and listen to the song Plume by Smashing Pumpkins. Listen to the solo, I mean really listen to it. Listen to all the different skronky tonalities and colors, and the bizarre mathy melodies. After you do that, why not listen to the entire album with headphones, paying special attention to the guitar playing.

I know alot of people hate on this band and they have good reason to. Billy Corgan turned into an unoriginal egomaniacal fool after he lost his hair, and the band broke up for good reason. To me Billy is like Tim Burton, he hasn't had an original idea since Siamese Dream but his early work was brilliant. (yes that was a South Park reference) But come on, he and James are phenominal guitarists and you'd have to be crazy to think they haven't made some incredible music
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2010, 10:12 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Incredible? Not sure if I'd agree with that, but yeah, they've got a few interesting multi-layered guitar things going on, true (I mean, every song has like 100 guitar tracks, it's definitely a cool sound!), I think everyone can recognize that. But then, CHINESE DEMOCRACY by Guns N Roses has some cool guitar noises/tones/textures, and that record is bullshit.

...But yeah, anyway, a more obvious example is Zero, the solo (and, hell, the main riff). There's some creative pinch harmonics/real harmonics stuff going on. But so what? A few cool guitar noises and tones and solos here and there -- I mean, the dude's written like 1100 songs (LITERALLY), obviously he's going to come up with some interesting stuff every now and then.

Also, I dunno if I'd call James a phenomenal guitarist -- he didn't even play on any of the records did he? I did see a show where he pointed a toy laser gun hooked to his guitar pickups to make laser noises which I thought was cool.

Anyway, I don't think most of their songs or their riffs are that creative or smart, but some of their stuff is at least listenable, and I'll agree that in the 1100 songs Corgan has written, there is an occasional interesting guitar noise or texture. I don't think that's anything groundbreaking, all the songs are just overproduced to the point where they can't breathe. I still think the best thing he ever did is the nanosecond of feedback squeal in Mayonaise.

PS: What's a mathy melody?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 04:39 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You can have a similar epiphany listening to most massively produced records. Avril Lavigne's 'Under my Skin' is astonishing with headphones. And a better record, but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I love Siamese Dream. Don't like anything after it or before it but that record is almost perfect to me.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 06:51 PM   #5
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Incredible? Not sure if I'd agree with that, but yeah, they've got a few interesting multi-layered guitar things going on, true (I mean, every song has like 100 guitar tracks, it's definitely a cool sound!), I think everyone can recognize that. But then, CHINESE DEMOCRACY by Guns N Roses has some cool guitar noises/tones/textures, and that record is bullshit.

...But yeah, anyway, a more obvious example is Zero, the solo (and, hell, the main riff). There's some creative pinch harmonics/real harmonics stuff going on. But so what? A few cool guitar noises and tones and solos here and there -- I mean, the dude's written like 1100 songs (LITERALLY), obviously he's going to come up with some interesting stuff every now and then.

Also, I dunno if I'd call James a phenomenal guitarist -- he didn't even play on any of the records did he? I did see a show where he pointed a toy laser gun hooked to his guitar pickups to make laser noises which I thought was cool.

Anyway, I don't think most of their songs or their riffs are that creative or smart, but some of their stuff is at least listenable, and I'll agree that in the 1100 songs Corgan has written, there is an occasional interesting guitar noise or texture. I don't think that's anything groundbreaking, all the songs are just overproduced to the point where they can't breathe. I still think the best thing he ever did is the nanosecond of feedback squeal in Mayonaise.

Yes, Zero is a boring and lame song. But yes, I do consider the solo on Plume to be incredible, in fact I consider most of Billy's guitar playing to be incredible because I think he is an incredible guitarist. I think Gish, and especially Siamese Dream and Pisces Iscariot are all incredible. Billy played all of the guitar on the Gish sessions but not Siamese Dream. James is also an excellent player in my opinion. I'm a big fan of his chorus riffs.

I think that with their early material, there is much more than just an occasional interesting noise or texture. I think people criticize them for a number of reasons, one being his voice which is bad I agree, but I think mainly because of Pavement and Sonic Youth's fans tendency to hate on them when most of them probably worshipped them in the 90's. I don't think they were the penultimate 90's band at all, but they did make some groundbreaking, yes groundbreaking music and Corgan is still
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 06:55 PM   #6
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
Get some headphones and listen to the song Plume by Smashing Pumpkins. Listen to the solo, I mean really listen to it. Listen to all the different skronky tonalities and colors, and the bizarre mathy melodies. After you do that, why not listen to the entire album with headphones, paying special attention to the guitar playing.

I know alot of people hate on this band and they have good reason to. Billy Corgan turned into an unoriginal egomaniacal fool after he lost his hair, and the band broke up for good reason. To me Billy is like Tim Burton, he hasn't had an original idea since Siamese Dream but his early work was brilliant. (yes that was a South Park reference) But come on, he and James are phenominal guitarists and you'd have to be crazy to think they haven't made some incredible music

OK. What are you on. I want some.
Old 04.16.2010, 08:25 PM   #7
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I've yet to see the appeal of any Smashing Pumpkins record, personally. I think SD is an overproduced mess and I've given it several listens and I still don't see where people get this amazing record from out of it.

Then again I absolutely every Corgan with every part of me so I'm pretty biased. But to each their own. I enjoy most Pearl Jam records and most people here have even less nice things to say about them than the Smashing Pumpkins.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 09:52 PM   #8
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I love Gish and Siamese Dream. Absolutely love them. They're the kind of albums that make me feel like I could love everybody in the world. But I think the Pumpkins suck after that.
Old 04.18.2010, 01:09 AM   #9
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
I've yet to see the appeal of any Smashing Pumpkins record, personally. I think SD is an overproduced mess and I've given it several listens and I still don't see where people get this amazing record from out of it.

Then again I absolutely every Corgan with every part of me so I'm pretty biased. But to each their own. I enjoy most Pearl Jam records and most people here have even less nice things to say about them than the Smashing Pumpkins.

~Jeremy~

Pearl Jam definitely does suck more than the smashing pumpkins, but that sure isn't a compliment to sp
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2010, 01:49 AM   #10
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
the closest thing Billy Corgan's done to great was some side stuff under Djali Zwan for the soundtrack to "Spun".... and great it was.

mostly acoustic, under-produced recordings, focus on the songwriting and negative space, etc., etc.....

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2010, 04:19 AM   #11
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
Pearl Jam definitely does suck more than the smashing pumpkins, but that sure isn't a compliment to sp

Not every band can be as good as Tad or the U-Men, I guess, since those bands were *definitely* classic.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth