Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.06.2017, 12:35 PM   #49181
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I honestly don't know. I don't really pay attention to stuff like that. Didn't MM and Trent have a falling out around then? Like, "Starfuckers Inc" and all that? Wait, did Trent attack Billy in that video? He attacked a bunch of musicians didn't ? Ah, I really don't remember. I might be making this up.

Adore sounds nothing like OK Computer. Downward Spiral..... maybe, but this is half a decade later. I really just think that the NIN/MM "thing" was in at the time. But also losing a drummer lead them to dabble in drum machines... and then keyboards... etc. It was an easy point in their career to try something new since they had a reason to try something new.

I'm surprised you don't like it tho. Most NIN fans who read Pitchfork every day seem to call it the one SP album they like.
Old 10.06.2017, 07:30 PM   #49182
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I honestly don't know. I don't really pay attention to stuff like that. Didn't MM and Trent have a falling out around then? Like, "Starfuckers Inc" and all that? Wait, did Trent attack Billy in that video? He attacked a bunch of musicians didn't ? Ah, I really don't remember. I might be making this up.

Adore sounds nothing like OK Computer. Downward Spiral..... maybe, but this is half a decade later. I really just think that the NIN/MM "thing" was in at the time. But also losing a drummer lead them to dabble in drum machines... and then keyboards... etc. It was an easy point in their career to try something new since they had a reason to try something new.

I'm surprised you don't like it tho. Most NIN fans who read Pitchfork every day seem to call it the one SP album they like.

I wouldn’t know about that.

There was beef between Reznor and Manson for a bit, after Reznor produced an album for MM, and then MM wanted to get out of the shadow of the actual musician who was actually talented and made him famous (and so began the decline of MM, but anyway). You have it backwards... MM and Trent actually made up for the Starfuckers video. MM was in it.

Terrible song that. Just unforgivably bad.

Adore sounds like a band who listened to OKC and thought, “ohhhh, let’s do something kinda like this or whatever. Kids dig quiet stuf now with flourishes if electronics.” But SP never had that in them. Sounds like wank. Wank, I say!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2017, 07:36 PM   #49183
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I really don’t read Pitchfork every day. I check the site as part of my routine, but I almost never read a review. I read the 4:44 review, and some of the review for the new LCD Soundsystem, but they usually don’t write about what I want to read about.

And I’m not really a NIN “fan.” I respect Trent Reznor and have a ton of nostalgic connections to all of the music made under the NIN brand until the Fragile. Then I liked the Slip. Year Zero and With Teeth are ok, but I don’t listen to even my favorite NIN more than once a year.

Er, I’m a NIN fan who’s moved on without shunning NIN. I don’t think they’d be in a top 25 bands list for me. Maybe not even too 50. But I still like the stuff I like. Shrug. I dunno. NIN > SP though. In my crazy pitchfork-drunk opinion.
Old 10.06.2017, 07:55 PM   #49184
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
You will both burn in HELL.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2017, 10:24 PM   #49185
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I get what you're saying sev, but don't hear OKC in Adore at all. Like at all. Besides electronics they are world's apart in tone. Shrug.
Old 10.06.2017, 10:25 PM   #49186
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I loved With Teeth btw. More than any other post Fragile NIN album.
Old 10.06.2017, 11:23 PM   #49187
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Weezer
Pinkerton
1994, Apparently Pinkerton was critically hated upon its release. And that led a bit to its cult status. I didn't know any of that at the time. I didn't really pay attention to reviews back then. But I mean, the band almost broke up after Pinkerton which would have been awful. When it was released I loved it. All I heard was like - Oh, Weezer made an album like their first one only with way more teeth. And feeling. We didn't really have the term emo back then did we? Pinkerton is fucking legend. It's a crazy heart on sleeve album about desire and desperation. It opens with a song about being tired of sex. I mean... wow. And that song kills. It's so dark and the opposite of "Buddy Holly" y'know? And then there's "The Good Life," a song about a 20-something feeling like an old man. It takes a certain type to identify with that, but I did... even in my teens. This is totally an album of self-deprecation. Not only is Rivers cuckolded but he's in love with a lesbian or fantasying about a fan in Japan. It's definitely a departure from the first album. Darker and more up-front. By the time you get to "Butterfly," the closing acoustic number you don't even know what to make of the soft delivery but its rather alarming lyrics. This is a record that is fearless, and to that extent almost imploded the band. Of course I'm glad that didn't happen even if it meant sitting through a hiatus. Eventually the cult emerged and the band realized they were on to something. Pinkerton is an absolute 90's classic.
Old 10.09.2017, 03:53 PM   #49188
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Foo Fighters
Pocketwatch
1992, So in 1992 Dave Grohl released a cassette only album called Pocketwatch under the pseudonym Late! where he played all the instruments. Because this would be the same circumstances under which the first Foo Fighters album was recorded a couple of years later, and because several of these songs have actually made it into the Foo Fighters proper setlists and even re-recorded for official releases, it's often been considered the first Foo Fighters album rather unofficially. It's also no surprise that since it was cassette-only and went out of print within a few years, it was bootlegged heavily on CD and always attributed to the Foo Fighters rather than Late!, and often under alternate titles such as "Pocketwatch Demos" or "Lost Treasures." Anyway, the ten songs sound great even in bootleg form. "Petrol CB" sounds like it could have been a Nirvana song, and "Colour Pictures Of Marigold" eventually was (and later it was released on a live Foo album). "Just Another Story About Skeeter Thompson" was re-recorded and released on the Melvins' King Buzzo album for some reason. "Winnebago" would go on to be a Foo Fighters b-side, while the gorgeous "Friend Of A Friend" would end up on a proper Foo Fighters album many years later. It's a humble collection of early songs, but its legacy is certainly interesting and it's totally worth hearing.
Old 10.10.2017, 03:56 PM   #49189
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

Corin Tucker doing Roxy's "Editions Of You" — OH MAN it does not get any better than that!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2017, 04:58 PM   #49190
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Foo Fighters
Pocketwatch
1992, So in 1992 Dave Grohl released a cassette only album called Pocketwatch under the pseudonym Late! where he played all the instruments. Because this would be the same circumstances under which the first Foo Fighters album was recorded a couple of years later, and because several of these songs have actually made it into the Foo Fighters proper setlists and even re-recorded for official releases, it's often been considered the first Foo Fighters album rather unofficially. It's also no surprise that since it was cassette-only and went out of print within a few years, it was bootlegged heavily on CD and always attributed to the Foo Fighters rather than Late!, and often under alternate titles such as "Pocketwatch Demos" or "Lost Treasures." Anyway, the ten songs sound great even in bootleg form. "Petrol CB" sounds like it could have been a Nirvana song, and "Colour Pictures Of Marigold" eventually was (and later it was released on a live Foo album). "Just Another Story About Skeeter Thompson" was re-recorded and released on the Melvins' King Buzzo album for some reason. "Winnebago" would go on to be a Foo Fighters b-side, while the gorgeous "Friend Of A Friend" would end up on a proper Foo Fighters album many years later. It's a humble collection of early songs, but its legacy is certainly interesting and it's totally worth hearing.

First Foo Fighters album is almost all bangers. I don’t really remember Pocketwatch, but I will never forget self-titled. That actually felt like a fitting and logical thing for a member of Nirvana to release in 1995. It gave me a little hope to hear that shredding sack of sludge. “X-Static” could be on a Nirvana album, easy. “Alone + Easy Target” is a way better masturbation song than “Longview.” “Oh George” sounds like fucking Hüsker Dü at peak Düiness. Basically the whole thing is badass.

Imagine how good they could have been had they not decided to be the alt-rock Van Hagar. Or whatever the fuck they are. The Eagles maybe? Every fucking album sounding like the last, only more watery and “not worth existingy.”
Old 10.10.2017, 05:29 PM   #49191
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I still like them. Surprise surprise right? New album is really good tho.
Old 10.10.2017, 06:02 PM   #49192
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I still like them. Surprise surprise right? New album is really good tho.

I legitimately don’t know what to say to that.
Old 10.10.2017, 06:20 PM   #49193
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Have you heard it? Just came out a few weeks ago. I like it a lot.
Old 10.11.2017, 12:24 PM   #49194
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Have you heard it? Just came out a few weeks ago. I like it a lot.

Dude no. No, no, no. I kept up with those guys out of stubbornness until One by One, after which they became one of the most appalling bands in the world. “Times like these” makes me vomit in my mouth a little, and every new album with the word “and” in it has just been more of that Grammy-nominated garbage.

Nope. First album and about ⅓ of The Colour AND the Shape, and that’s quite enough.
Old 10.11.2017, 12:54 PM   #49195
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Dude no. No, no, no. I kept up with those guys out of stubbornness until One by One, after which they became one of the most appalling bands in the world. “Times like these” makes me vomit in my mouth a little, and every new album with the word “and” in it has just been more of that Grammy-nominated garbage.

Nope. First album and about ⅓ of The Colour AND the Shape, and that’s quite enough.

alright. So then as I assumed you've decided it's not good without hearing it. That's fine. Do your thing.

I like "Times Like These" myself. Shrug. I like pretty much all their stuff. Though One By One is certainly a weak link in their discography.

I don't know, to me much of their post 90's work is just good straight forward rock and roll. It's not ground-breaking or anything, but it sounds good to my ears.

At any rate Concrete And Gold is interesting because the Foo Fighters and Queens Of The Stone Age seem to have been hanging out quite a bit, bouncing ideas off each other while recording their new albums and I feel like the influence of the other shows in both albums. The new QOTSA is friggin' great as well, and I feel like it's "okay" to like them haha.
Old 10.11.2017, 12:56 PM   #49196
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I don't listen to Foo because I don't like Dave Grohl. Is that wrong? Yes, he seems nice and warmly gregarious. Too much so. Dial it back dude.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2017, 01:06 PM   #49197
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I don't listen to Foo because I don't like Dave Grohl. Is that wrong? Yes, he seems nice and warmly gregarious. Too much so. Dial it back dude.

lol

he really does seem like a nice guy. And I've heard numerous people who have met him say that, yeah he's a super nice guy.

But I mean whatever.

I just like the way the songs sound haha.
Old 10.11.2017, 01:10 PM   #49198
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Sometimes I won't listen to an artist because they are a shitty person.

This is the first time I've avoided someone because the dude was too kind!

But yeah. Intellectually I know the platters are all that matter.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2017, 01:19 PM   #49199
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'm genuinely trying to think if I've really ever avoided someone's music because I think the person is a prick. I don't think I do this, though. With any art really.

I kind of think in general that if I were to avoid myself of music/movies/books/etc because the creator was an asshole in real life... well, I'd prob miss out on a lot of good things haha.

But yeah, the "too kind" Grohl thing... that is kind of funny, man.
Old 10.11.2017, 05:54 PM   #49200
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
lol

he really does seem like a nice guy. And I've heard numerous people who have met him say that, yeah he's a super nice guy.

But I mean whatever.

I just like the way the songs sound haha.

I met him once. Briefly. Didn’t exchange enough words to get much of a sense of his character, but he definitely doesn’t seem like a bastard. Pat Smear was with him (seriously!) and Pat kinda did give me a bit of a bastard vibe.

I have nothing against Dave Grohl other than his commitment to embodying the rock establishment and carrying on traditions that are best left to die. He is to this generation what Paul McCartney was in the ‘70s and ‘80s — just a fucking poster child for traditionalism and rockstarness.
Hard to believe he was in Nirvana (or any of the other bands he played with) because he’s just so fucking MEH now. And has been for like 18 years.

As a guy he seems fine, so I honestly wish I didn’t have to kind of hate his ass.

First album was still great though.
1960236024102450245724582459 2460 246124622463247025102560 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth