Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Does the world need another 'Noise' record?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.08.2006, 10:52 AM   #101
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Again, I have to say that this is complete tosh. If only that were the case. Sure confidence and motivation are important and it's surprising how far arrogance and bullshit seem to take some people. But ultimately talent is pretty important and, I think, a fair deal of good fortune. Also, it helps if you know people.

Alas, I think (and this is in life in general, not just the arts) that arrogance, bullshit, nepotism and networking get you further than talent, passion and all that.
I know I shouldn't say anything, but I just can't help it... Basically, everyone here is being really contradictory... Most say that it's talent that should be nurtured, we want more noise records, let's hear more noise, but at the same time, you don't encourage anyone to actually go out and make any noise, this is like saying, please drop off a cliff, but try not to get injured in the process... I know there are probably at least a million people out there who have failed to make any significant impact whatsoever on music of any sort, at any given moment. Does that mean every mofo who wants to get into noise should be given a slap on the arse, a brief introduction and a curt warning to 'get it right'? Is this what encouragement is about? I'm sorry if I sound like I'm ranting needlessly, but it doesn't seem like this boy is being encouraged to make music. If anything, people are actually warning him to watch out if he decides to; which is a good thing; but, honestly, I see less of warnings and more of discouragement. Screw this, he probably doesn't even care, it's the motherfucking piece of shit internet anyway, nobody fucking cares.
Old 08.08.2006, 10:53 AM   #102
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
of course! like:

and

Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 11:03 AM   #104
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
I know I shouldn't say anything, but I just can't help it... Basically, everyone here is being really contradictory... Most say that it's talent that should be nurtured, we want more noise records, let's hear more noise, but at the same time, you don't encourage anyone to actually go out and make any noise, this is like saying, please drop off a cliff, but try not to get injured in the process... I know there are probably at least a million people out there who have failed to make any significant impact whatsoever on music of any sort, at any given moment. Does that mean every mofo who wants to get into noise should be given a slap on the arse, a brief introduction and a curt warning to 'get it right'? Is this what encouragement is about? I'm sorry if I sound like I'm ranting needlessly, but it doesn't seem like this boy is being encouraged to make music. If anything, people are actually warning him to watch out if he decides to; which is a good thing; but, honestly, I see less of warnings and more of discouragement. Screw this, he probably doesn't even care, it's the motherfucking piece of shit internet anyway, nobody fucking cares.

well we aren't his nanny and he isn't a baby, there's no reason in particular to encourage anyone, and it's exactly that sort of nicey nicey, lets encourage everyone attitude that helps perpetuate the oceans of crap that most people seem to agree are what constitutes the majority of noise music. rigour is what is called for.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 11:06 AM   #105
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
and who are you to say an artist isnt talented?
Old 08.08.2006, 11:06 AM   #106
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Right,i 'm posting from the point of view of someone who occasionally did music therapy for people with brain damage here.When it came to involve people into some music project or another,my job was not only that of spotting the degree of apparent interest into it that many of the patients showed,but also spotting the possible and realistic outcome of the whole experience.I can tell you with a passion that most people,even the most phisycally and mentally damaged ones,love being involved into creativity but get sommersed by their lacking of capabilities to size ideas and make them travel
a fruitful journey.And this i would notice on a regular basis while still being encouraging to them on many levels.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 11:08 AM   #107
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't think this was about encouraging (or not) anyone in particular rather about the general state of 'noise' in general. And even if it was, no one is going to be helped by you-can-achieve-anything-if-you-put-your-mind-to-it type platitudes.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 11:11 AM   #108
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child

because when looking at art objectively and regardless of my own preferences of taste, it is screaming fucking obvious when someone is talentless if you look at the progression of their work over a period of time.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 11:11 AM   #109
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yeah, yeah...but who is anyone to say whether an artist is talented or not. It's all subjective....

As it happens, I think the general trend of people releasing a load of cdrs and the whole scene is a positive thing. But that doesn't mean that there's not a lot of stuff that's pretty awful. But I applaud a general trend towards more releases rather than fewer...I think.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 11:13 AM   #110
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i think people have the right to express themselves thru music and noise and try to make the best they can and try as hard as they can to make it, if they believe in their music and they like it then more power to them and the best of luck but beware because people are merciless and they can fuck you up in a second.

that said...

most people who do noise aren't in it because it's their calling or because they like it even, if it was just a hobby and they would see the quality of their music in a complete objective perspective and realized that maybe it's not that good but they like doing it anyway, they wouldn't release it as a limited edition collectors' item and hype as such, they should keep it for themselves and whoever else wants to hear it. let's face it, most people playing music are in it for the glory, if not for the money (not that they will be millionaires but it's a source of income). everyone making noise now thinks that by releasing millions of stuff in limited quantities they will be these legends and influential people.

i say have some perspective and if people do noise, try to be original at the least.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 11:14 AM   #111
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
and im not saying there isnt awful uninspiring noise, because there is.

i think we are all arguing over nothing because, we all are trying to say the same thing
Old 08.08.2006, 11:21 AM   #112
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Everyneurotic:i think people have the right to express themselves thru music and noise and try to make the best they can and try as hard as they can to make it, if they believe in their music and they like it then more power to them and the best of luck but beware because people are merciless and they can fuck you up in a second.

Porkmarras:But people say that cooking is an art.Cooking is a skill and IT IS NOT an art.A lot of people who know fuck all about stuff like to have an opinion on just about everything for the sake of chit chat drivel.They surely have a right to it but nevertheless they are speaking a lot bullshit.

Old 08.08.2006, 11:21 AM   #113
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I didn't think this was about encouraging (or not) anyone in particular rather about the general state of 'noise' in general. And even if it was, no one is going to be helped by you-can-achieve-anything-if-you-put-your-mind-to-it type platitudes.
Point taken. You generally speak truth, still, the opposite cannot be true, by the same logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Right,i 'm posting from the point of view of someone who occasionally did music therapy for people with brain damage here.When it came to involve people into some music project or another,my job was not only that of spotting the degree of apparent interest into it that many of the patients showed,but also spotting the possible and realistic outcome of the whole experience.I can tell you with a passion that most people,even the most phisycally and mentally damaged ones,love being involved into creativity but get sommersed by their lacking of capabilities to size ideas and make them travel
a fruitful journey.And this i would notice on a regular basis while still being encouraging to them on many levels.
You are a beautiful person and you have done a beautiful thing...
Old 08.08.2006, 11:21 AM   #114
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
boring.
Old 08.08.2006, 11:22 AM   #115
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
everyone making noise now thinks that by releasing millions of stuff in limited quantities they will be these legends and influential people.

Old 08.08.2006, 11:25 AM   #116
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

collectively: no.
Old 08.08.2006, 11:31 AM   #117
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Everyneurotic:i think people have the right to express themselves thru music and noise and try to make the best they can and try as hard as they can to make it, if they believe in their music and they like it then more power to them and the best of luck but beware because people are merciless and they can fuck you up in a second.

Porkmarras:But people say that cooking is an art.Cooking is a skill and IT IS NOT an art.A lot of people who know fuck all about stuff like to have an opinion on just about everything for the sake of chit chat drivel.They surely have a right to it but nevertheless they are speaking a lot bullshit.

what bad can it do to you if someone does it for the sake of their own fun and entertainment.

i also said that if people see objectively that their stuff isn't that good or original that they should keep it for themselves and for theirt own pleasure.

also, if people don't like what they hear, they can simply ignore it and go on to the next thing.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 11:31 AM   #118
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Point taken. You generally speak truth, still, the opposite cannot be true, by the same logic.

You are a beautiful person and you have done a beautiful thing...
Thanks but my point is,enthuisiasm alone is simply not enough when it comes to being creative.You have to be cruel in order to be kind sometimes.If you are not objectively critical of your/somebody's work and you don't question stuff in a constructive manner,such work that you want to improve will only get worse.

Old 08.08.2006, 03:28 PM   #119
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

A potential admirer, who for reasons just as good as any decided that he doesn't like Artist A, or whatever. The people with no knowledge have the most important opinions when it comes to any sort of art.
Old 08.08.2006, 03:38 PM   #120
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Talent is a fact. Interest is an opinion.

Talent is an ability. If you have an ability to play guitar very fast, or very creatively, or an ability to please many people with your art, you're talented. You can't just be talented 'in one person's opinion.' The question is merely whether that talent interests you. Thus, if he doesn't, the artist is subjectively uninteresting. Not untalented. And it's perfectly acceptable for anyone to consider any artist to be uninteresting.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth