Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.13.2021, 09:42 PM   #3341
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
anyway, this one for severian:

Quote:
David Sims of The Atlantic wrote that Joss Whedon, creator of the series, made the model for the Golden Age of television:

"Years before streaming TV existed, Whedon helped create the bingeable serial drama—one that endeavored to make every episode a special event, without taking the audience's eyes off the larger story being woven. In basic terms, he did this by making sure every season had a “big bad”: a villain or antihero with larger machinations developing in the background of every episode, twinned to our hero Buffy and her resolute band of friends in some magical way. Every season would build to an action-packed climax with sacrifices made and lessons learned, but along the way, Buffy would face off against minions of the “big bad,” problems of her own making, and various other monsters of the week amid whirlwinds of teen angst. It was a heady formula, but a surprisingly unusual one for 1997."

here's hoping he eventually bites haa haaa haaaa

but... give it time! season one takes time to get going. only by season 2 the formula starts to levitate. season 3... is peak whedon.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2021, 12:10 AM   #3342
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I’ll definitely revisit at some point

Watching Modern Family — for some reason I thought it was an hour-long show? Anyway, it’s a super basic single-camera sitcom. The Office but with… a family.

Still better than Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Office with cops only waaaaay dumber), which has never made even me crack a smile.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2021, 04:04 AM   #3343
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
I've been turned off B99 due to a multitude of things - partially being an anarkiddie ACAB zoomer, mostly because everyone my age seems to think it's God's gift to humour.

Modern Family is good from what I remember of it (was a regular on TV here about eight years ago). Would be interesting to rewatch, especially given I could judge how it stands as gay rep.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2021, 09:04 AM   #3344
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
I've been turned off B99 due to a multitude of things - partially being an anarkiddie ACAB zoomer, mostly because everyone my age seems to think it's God's gift to humour.

Modern Family is good from what I remember of it (was a regular on TV here about eight years ago). Would be interesting to rewatch, especially given I could judge how it stands as gay rep.

Brooklyn 99 is tediously unfunny. It’s like a regression from that dude’s other shows like The Office and Parks & Rec, neither of which were perfect, but at least they were good for a genuine laugh now and then.
But B99 feels like it should have a laugh track. It feels dinosauric and completely devoid of actual humor. It’s the kind of show where you can guess people’s lines because nothing about it is not predictable or cliché.

If people your age think this show is God’s gift to humor, they must transcend the physical plane when they see Silicon Valley.

Grumble.
Old 02.14.2021, 10:44 AM   #3345
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Silicon Valley.

haha guilfoyle. love guilfoyle.

i found modern family pretty fucking mainstream and a bit tedious, except for the glory that is sofía vergara.

i'm glad they had a gay couple, but they were super conventional. of the two i only liked the fat guy who had true comedic chops.

the phil dunphy guy or whatever was insufferable lololol. hated his uptight wife too (yoga ass from weeds).

al bundy was ok i guess.

but eventually even the glory that is sofía vergara could not keep me watching. glad for her success though.

brooklyn 9-9 once past the initial aversion i found at times chuckleworthy but ultimately fairly forgettable. i was out of tv i think i borrowed from the library.

comedy: father ted. now that i can watch endlessly on repeat.
Old 02.14.2021, 05:34 PM   #3346
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
As we've established earlier, you're better at separating the art from the artist than I am - I could never watch Father Ted considering the dark and deeply personally impactful rabbithole Glinner's pissed his life down.

I've been getting somewhere from my family's Netflix - I haven't watched anything myself but I've occasionally seen what my siblings are checking out. One younger brother has a taste for documentaries, so I've seen a bunch of nature ones and two others I liked called The Toys That Made Us (interviewing with the designers and marketers for things like GI Joe, Power Rangers, etc.) and We are the Champions (chili eating, cheese rolling, frog jumping). The other one's been watching The End of the F***ing World, which is black humour about a teenage psychopath and (mostly) the girl who runs off with him - soundtracked by Graham Coxon, too, which is cool.
Old 02.14.2021, 06:37 PM   #3347
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
As we've established earlier, you're better at separating the art from the artist than I am - I could never watch Father Ted considering the dark and deeply personally impactful rabbithole Glinner's pissed his life down.
father ted died of a heart attack the day after the show ended or something. dougal still lives, i saw him on some silly show, but he'll never match that role.

the thing with me is i know a bunch of artist and writers and can attest--everyone is fucked up. anybody hoping for some saint in their artists is delusional. actually even the saints are fucked up folk. hero worship is idiotic and all human shit stinks.

so i can condemn a behavior without damning a person (but let's face it, most artists are damned).

i can condemn a person too--but it takes a lot.

i don't care so much who makes what, but the skewering that the irish church gets on father ted is incomparable, and that's what makes the show so good, and as an ex-catholic it makes me laugh hard.

i don't know who made the egyptian pyramids or the gothic cathedrals or what the three stoges did in their spare time. im sure it was all a bloody mess.

i mean if 40 years from now i condemn you because you said you wish my country was destroyed... lmao. nope. i'm not that silly. people say shit.

i really want you to do well in life. and i forgive your future fuckups. which will inevitably occur if you're alive. ego te absolvo
Old 02.14.2021, 08:53 PM   #3348
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
haha guilfoyle. love guilfoyle.

i found modern family pretty fucking mainstream and a bit tedious, except for the glory that is sofía vergara.

i'm glad they had a gay couple, but they were super conventional. of the two i only liked the fat guy who had true comedic chops.

the phil dunphy guy or whatever was insufferable lololol. hated his uptight wife too (yoga ass from weeds).

al bundy was ok i guess.

but eventually even the glory that is sofía vergara could not keep me watching. glad for her success though.

Oh man, Julie Bowman WAS yoga-wife-pedo from Weeds!
She was also Carol Vessey from the short-lived NBC dramedy “Ed,” which aired in the beforetime, in the long-long-ago (like 2000).

Yeah, Modern Family is conventional as hell, but it’s better and funnier than Brooklyn 99 when it comes to the mockucumentary-type shows that came in the wake of the Office.

It’s enjoyable enough for a time-killed, plus there’s like 11 seasons, so yay.

But yeah, very basic.
Old 02.15.2021, 10:55 AM   #3349
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
the dark and deeply personally impactful rabbithole Glinner's pissed his life down.
ok, i went and googled "glinner" and found the guy wrote 2 other shows i love: black books and the it guys. damn! he was good.

then i read abour his antitrans controversies here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham...ender_activism

and oof! i get now where you're coming from.

he sounds, to me, like a dinosaur. a well-intentioned dinosaur prerhaps, but still, a dinosaur. which, as an irish ex-catholic, he might very well be. but looking further at his bio, he's also for reproductive rights and a defender of the british nhs. people are fucking complicated.

as for the tavistock business, i am not an expert, i don't mean to butt in, but in all situations there are unexpected consequences, and i *just* read something about the negative consequences of puberty blockers for children and keira bell?... and im not an expert, im just an empiricist who claims agnosticism on matters unknown. of course everything is experimental.

so, i really don't know shit about this, but i can understand how some people might believe they do, and take up ideological positions.

too many people having "beliefs" of one kind or another, including atheist ex-catholics with a history of writing some funny jokes. and nothing like hanging on to beliefs for an ex-catholist atheist: nature abhors a vacuum.

so yeah, im in it only for the jokes not for the person. but i understand your anger also.
Old 02.20.2021, 09:48 AM   #3350
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

every once in a while i watch one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qDy4OMAkgY
Old 02.20.2021, 02:56 PM   #3351
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Anybody here care for Vera?
Old 02.20.2021, 03:42 PM   #3352
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
uhm, now I have pink floyd in my head. Guess you didn't mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl20jlVnvYs

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2021, 03:47 PM   #3353
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Vera, the tv series, now in it's 11th year of 4x90min shows per year. I hear good things.
Old 02.20.2021, 08:50 PM   #3354
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Vera is shot on location where I live. I've never been able to finish an episode due to the main characters' false and patronising geordie accent. Well, that reason and the melodramatic overacting local yokels.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2021, 10:13 PM   #3355
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe...possibly...actually finish a season of Black Sails?

For as much as I romanticize and love traditional pirates, I have never finished 1 season, let alone 4 yet. And I want to, It legit feels like a good solid decently-accurate show. I just haven't yet. Perhaps this time around.
Old 02.21.2021, 02:29 PM   #3356
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Lilyhammer

It's very cool, and funny albeit sometimes in a too stupid way.
Started watching this series a while ago, but aborted it after a couple of episodes. Today I resumed.

After that, Fargo season 4. The Belgians are broadcasting it since last week. So I'm saving the episodes for later to binge 'm all at once since it's not on Netflix (yet?)

Old 02.21.2021, 06:52 PM   #3357
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so yeah, im in it only for the jokes not for the person. but i understand your anger also.
update on this: Linehan has apparently joined a lesbian dating app, claiming to have she/her pronouns and be 29 years old. this is part of...some absurd protest, i guess?
Old 02.21.2021, 07:05 PM   #3358
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
update on this: Linehan has apparently joined a lesbian dating app, claiming to have she/her pronouns and be 29 years old. this is part of...some absurd protest, i guess?
ah goddamn. you made me look:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/02/2...obia-backlash/

isn't that harassment?

i hope you get to run into him and punch him in the throat.

(reminds me of bernard in black books who's a real asshole. funny but a real asshole.)
Old 02.28.2021, 11:49 AM   #3359
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2021, 10:25 AM   #3360
_tunic_
invito al cielo

^^^^
I think I watched the first episode of that, and even though I thought it was funny, horror is just not my thing. So I aborted, and don't think I'll rewatch any time soon. But have fun

Started watching the Travelers yesterday. Didn't expect too much of it, given that it stars the Will from Grace. But it's really good actually.
It's a good story, and he doesn't really look like Will, and most importantly it lacks at least so far dialogues such as these

118158165166167 168 169170171178 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth