Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Godspeed You! Black Emperor curate ATP 2010
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.03.2010, 03:32 AM   #181
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.atpfestival.com/events/go...1012021019.php

The South West is fine - we don't really get problems with snow. Once you hit the cider side of the country (say, Wiltshire) it should be pretty much plain sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 04:04 AM   #182
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
My friend texted me to say that Borbetomagus were brutally amazing over the weekend. Bring them on tomorrow!
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 07:44 AM   #183
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Borbetomagus would've been the best thing at this festival if Haino wasn't there. Haino just embarrassed everone. Absurdly, disgustingly brilliant. Fun was had by all.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.06.2010, 11:31 AM   #184
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Borbetomagus would've been the best thing at this festival if Haino wasn't there. Haino just embarrassed everone. Absurdly, disgustingly brilliant. Fun was had by all.

I endorse this post wholeheartedly. With special mentions for Charlemagne Palestine, The Dead C and Boban i Marko Markovic Orkestar. Oh, and The Ex where pretty killing. And that Stan Brakhage film I was super zoning in on Saturday night. And Awesome Tapes From Africa for being the perfect ending to the the whole thing. And probably some other great shit I forgot. Fuck, that was such a good festival!
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 02:16 PM   #185
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
fantastic weekend! the best ATP i've been to. Haino and Borbeto were very good and other highlights for me was seeing Bardo Pond, Black Dice, Dead C, Emeralds, Deerhoof and Rangda for the first time. Flower/Corsano were really good as always and i enjoyed Shitmat's set in the crazy horse. it was nice to meet some more people from the board too, i hope to see you all again next year... time to recover now.

EDIT: i forgot to mention Mike Watt, i didn't get to see the whole set but what i did hear was kool.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 05:56 PM   #186
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Hello and good evening to you all. I just came home after a fucking insane 12hour journey from Minehead to Bratislava. A coach to Taunton (where, luckily enough I was accompanied by a rather beautiful and charming young lady from London who I had a nice chat with), then a train to London Paddington, then the Tube to Liverpool station, then another train to Stansted, and finally, the plane home.

To sum things up, this was the best festival I've ever been to.

Great moments: The Ex (absolutely fantastic gig!), Keiji Haino (words fail me to describe how good this was), Cluster (a nice surprise for me, since I didn't expect much) and Philip Jeck.

Dissapointments: Emeralds (the PA was fucked up and I expected way more of them), Godspeed (yawn), Neurosis (pretty shit), Wolves in the Throne Room (wank), and Bardo Pond. And first of all, the fact that I didn't meet Nefeli this year though I got the chance to but I missed it (sorry for that).

Special thanks goes to stu666 who bought me a drink and rolled me a fine cigarette, to Pokkeherrie whom I met for the third time in my life and to glice who's just a plain awesome guy and I'm glad I've finally met him in person. And of course to austrian boardies A Thousand Threads and Spiritual Amnesia, to whom I hope I didn't seem too offensive or demented because they met me in a rather tragically intoxicated state.

See you all next year.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 09:59 PM   #187
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
Did anybody see Neurosis? I'd love to see them live.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 10:35 AM   #188
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Bardo Pond 2010-12-04 @ Butlin's Holiday Centre, Minehead UK by sml42

Old 12.07.2010, 12:15 PM   #189
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
haino was at his best when he was making a racket and screaming.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 12:17 PM   #190
kinn
the destroyed room

kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses

kinn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 12:35 PM   #191
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
haino playing some uk shows in april.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 12:55 PM   #192
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Anymore info on that? Not holding my breath for a Scottish show.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 08:19 PM   #193
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I really enjoyed Haino's set, but he seemed to me like he was he was going through the motions a bit.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2010, 06:18 AM   #194
stu666
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
thanks for the bardo recording stu!!!

it's not actually my recording, this person also taped these.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (GYBE) 2010-12-04 @ Butlin's Holiday Centre, Minehead UK

Scout Niblett 2010-12-04 @ Butlin's Holiday Centre, Minehead UK

Old 12.08.2010, 06:36 AM   #195
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I really enjoyed Haino's set, but he seemed to me like he was he was going through the motions a bit.

I can see why you'd say this. As with many things, you're entirely wrong (did I mention that over the weekend?) BUT it did feel a bit like it should've been a lot longer.

Quote:
Old 12.08.2010, 07:43 AM   #196
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I can see why you'd say this. As with many things, you're entirely wrong (did I mention that over the weekend?) BUT it did feel a bit like it should've been a lot longer.

Also he kept checking his watch
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2010, 07:57 AM   #197
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Also he kept checking his watch

Some of us are improvisers. It's a bloody nightmare timing a set right if you're improvising. One of my next musical acquisitions is a digital countdown timer to hide under a monitor. Or play with laptoppers, that's the other trick.

Quote:
Old 12.08.2010, 09:03 AM   #198
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
It was an awesome weekend.
On Friday we arrived pretty late, at about 8 o'clock, so i missed a few things but really enjoyed Phillip Jeck and Tim Hecker (some moments of his set sounded nearly identical to some Pita "songs" though).
Saturday started great with Flower/Corsano followed by Bardo Pond. They were much better than the first time I have seen them, although that waiting for jesus song still irritates me.
Dead C sounded kind of lost sometimes but all in all i think it was a good show.
And then the Borbetomagus show.... and it was, well, just awesome, really intense.
As it always is with The Ex live, they fucking rock. I hardly ever listen to them on record but they are one of my favourite live acts for sure.

Unfortunately, on Sunday i woke up feeling sick, fevered and exhausted. It was ok during the Francisco Lopez performance, which by the way was quite awesome, but the really crowded stages with heat, carpets and that hot dog, popcorn smell were too much this day.
So, for Haino and Country Teasers and Emeralds i could only really enjoy about 15 minutes each before falling into coma.
The trip home Sunday night was the real nightmare before christmas.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2010, 11:01 AM   #199
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
what a weekend.

trip from the netherlands went smoothly apart from some heavy snow in Kent. But a lot faster than hoped. Arrived at 9am and had a proper English Breakfast in Butterflies before taking a short nap.

Apart from Godspeed i wasn't really excited by the bands. I didn't quite get it why they decided to put almost all electronica acts on Friday.

saturday was brilliant:
Flower/Corsano: only saw fifteen minutes, but very good again
Bardo Pond: one of the best this weekend. liked the fact that they started with two songs from Amanita.
Matana Roberts: very good
The Dead C: Couldn't handle it this time due to Bardo Pond
Mike Watt: brilliant! put a very big smile on my face.
Maher Shalal Haz Baz: made the smile even larger!
Scout Niblett: better than i exspected (We Are The World!)
John Butcher: very nice!
Borbetomagus: apart from the technical problems in the start, fenomenal! Liked the water part
Nomeansno: liked it really much, nice party. Sadly had to leave early to be front row for:
THE EX!!!!!
they were brilliant. saw them a few time this year but they have been getting better! Highlight of the weekend.
ended the with an afterparty in chalet M5.

the sunday was nice as well:
francisco lopez: walked in half way, nice to see the blindfolds, but wasn't in the mood
mahjongg: didn't impress me, was fed up with beat-electronics after friday
charlemagne palestine: what a guy. what a liver
cluster: nice suit. much better than growing/black dice/mahjongg
neurosis: good to have seen them, but not for too long.
weird al yankovic: nice show! had some good laughs
emeralds: only saw last 15 minutes, but i really liked it.
boban i marco: what a party. even the bassist of weird al liked it! sadly no extra outside performace afterwards.
daniel menche: liked the physical approach to noize.
the sadies: pleasantly suprised me.
deerhoof: one of the highlights. especially Basketball Get You Groove Back.

and then: Daniel Higgs. Only 50 people stayed, but that was utter brilliance. IT'S HOLY BIBLE TIME!

see you next year!
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2010, 09:34 PM   #200
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
haino playing some uk shows in april.

supposedly on 9+10 april at cafe oto, as i was told after the rangda gig by one of the people who put that on. one night playing w/ brotzmann and one night w/ matthew bower (although the guy who told me couldn't tell me whether that one was a collaboration as well or bower playing the support slot). not sure if that was supposed to be a secret still.

he also told me that haino is playing roadburn, which is very good news for me since he hasn't been announced for that yet, although i was kind of hoping/expecting it since sunno ))) are curating a day there.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth