Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Evol
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.09.2006, 05:36 PM   #1
AbsentDadaSezFuckOff
little trouble girl

AbsentDadaSezFuckOff is just really niceAbsentDadaSezFuckOff is just really niceAbsentDadaSezFuckOff is just really niceAbsentDadaSezFuckOff is just really nice
What is it that people love so much about EVOL. I find it okay, but it's definately nowhere near my favorite. i've noticed a lot of people have it as their favorite. ? Tell me how it turns you on.
AbsentDadaSezFuckOff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 05:50 PM   #2
cura
empty page

cura has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Its music and lyrics are great, but I don't think it's the best thing they made, it would be number 3 or even 4...

I really love the songs, and the atmosphere, but it doesent have the certain 'it' that BMR has, or Confusion...
cura is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 05:55 PM   #3
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I love it. I'm not very articulate when it comes to describing why I like music.
Old 07.09.2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Evol is deff my favourite sy album. cant tell why tough.
it must be the its atmosphere.
perfect road movie soundtrack imo.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:04 PM   #5
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
For me, just listening to Death to Our Friends and Secret Girl back to back makes me realize how great this album is. But, really, every song has something to it. It's one of my favorites.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:17 PM   #6
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsentDadaSezFuckOff
What is it that people love so much about EVOL. I find it okay, but it's definately nowhere near my favorite. i've noticed a lot of people have it as their favorite. ? Tell me how it turns you on.

This album is damn near my favorite for many reasons. The themes of this album are about experienceing things and newness I think. It relates a lot to teenage wildlife. Everything's new and seems exciting until it dies at around 25 or earlier. You have the love songs: Green Light and Starpower. You have the rockers: Bubblegum and Tom Violence. All of the other songs are damn brilliant as well. The rocking sonic narrative In the Kingdom #19 is brilliant. This entire album hints at Sister and beyond but is definitly its own thing. The cover is another great love of mine. LUNG LEG. You have to love that. Kim songs are just as strong as Thurston songs and overall it's really balanced out. SECRET GIRL!!!!! Totally eerie on Kim's part.....Like she's in an old attic full of used 1940's toys. The piano in the background is like a little music box.............completly creepy goodness. Shadow of a Doubt is great. Like witnessing a murder on a subway......not that that's good or anything but that's what it makes me think of. When Kim says "she knows how to make love to me" I always get a little stimulated. Overall, this record is amazing. I could go on about it but i think Ive said enough. Hopefully this gives you reasons to like this album.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:17 PM   #7
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
i go thru phases.
evol is my favorite at the moment.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:22 PM   #8
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, our favorites change all the time, but Evol is so awesome because of the crazy atmosphere, the music and lyrics are just so chilling. I love it.
Old 07.09.2006, 09:43 PM   #9
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesonicevol
This album is damn near my favorite for many reasons. The themes of this album are about experienceing things and newness I think. It relates a lot to teenage wildlife. Everything's new and seems exciting until it dies at around 25 or earlier. You have the love songs: Green Light and Starpower. You have the rockers: Bubblegum and Tom Violence. All of the other songs are damn brilliant as well. The rocking sonic narrative In the Kingdom #19 is brilliant. This entire album hints at Sister and beyond but is definitly its own thing. The cover is another great love of mine. LUNG LEG. You have to love that. Kim songs are just as strong as Thurston songs and overall it's really balanced out. SECRET GIRL!!!!! Totally eerie on Kim's part.....Like she's in an old attic full of used 1940's toys. The piano in the background is like a little music box.............completly creepy goodness. Shadow of a Doubt is great. Like witnessing a murder on a subway......not that that's good or anything but that's what it makes me think of. When Kim says "she knows how to make love to me" I always get a little stimulated. Overall, this record is amazing. I could go on about it but i think Ive said enough. Hopefully this gives you reasons to like this album.

And a little number called Expressway...
Old 07.09.2006, 09:45 PM   #10
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not a huge fan of it. It's good, but not one of my favorites. I like CiS way more. I think Kingdom is actually the best song on the CD.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 10:27 PM   #11
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
its "bad moon rising fucks sister".

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 10:34 PM   #12
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know. Different music speaks to different people.

Chatham, you pretty much just summed it up there.
Old 07.09.2006, 11:58 PM   #13
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
For the lines "I left home for experience, carved 'Suk For Honesty' on my chest."
Old 07.10.2006, 02:10 AM   #14
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
because of the atmosphere

i don't know, but it's got the vibe like 'shit, I did something VERY VERY VERY wrong but I can't tell"....

it's very Mullholland Drive-ish to me

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 12:43 PM   #15
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neongod
And a little number called Expressway...

I know, I didnt mention every song. They're all amazing but I think I would have gone on for an hour if I kept speaking about it.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 01:04 PM   #16
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
it was my 2nd sonic youth album. my 1st was dirty so i guess it opened my eyes to what they were capable of doing. i think it's a real solid album
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 09:52 PM   #17
Nevermind
little trouble girl

Nevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's assesNevermind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsentDadaSezFuckOff
I didn't know it was this popular amongst SY fans but I personally think it's really consistent. Definitely one of their best if not THE best.
Nevermind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2008, 10:17 PM   #18
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
It's definitely my favorite. It's the dark, noisy atmosphere of the album that (nearly) all other SY albums lack. Very moody and emotional
Old 11.22.2008, 09:31 AM   #19
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
I thoroughly enjoy the record's music. However, I find the production a bit thin. I'm hoping for a deluxe, remastered edition in the vein of DN. All the original tracks 'warmed and thickened up' with bonuses, then disc 2 to be FAT tracks live. It's just that their 80s albums to me don't have the umphh in sound that I believe they can have with today's restoration.

I'm waiting for BMR to be upgraded too.

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2008, 09:55 AM   #20
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
It is, in my opinion, the best record ever recorded.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth