Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.09.2017, 11:25 PM   #20441
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=!@#$%!]

pasolini is great but can often put me to sleep. the look of that movie is awesome though-- not sure what you mean by amateurish?

for a different medea, check out the lars von trier version if you can find it. it's slightly bizarre and i really liked it. bad dvd transfer but the great visual language come through regardless./QUOTE]

Maybe it was just my copy but there was some nauseating camera work. Perhaps it was intentional? Either way it turned me off. For the most part great though.

I'm a big fan of the play and what I loved was how real he made the story be. It felt like it was from another world but also very human.

Will check out the Von Trier. I'm actually a bit ashamed to say he's a filmmaker I've never really given the time of day.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2017, 06:21 AM   #20442
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Pasolini did embrace a form of realism during that period which was heavily influenced by 68-era political theory. Godard was interested in similar ideas in some of his late 60s-early 70s films. I'm not sure either of them would've described it as 'amateurish', but it does come over that way at times.

Anyway, last night I rewatched

La Belle et la Bete

Love this so much. Some of my all-time favourite scenes/moments in all cinema.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2017, 09:15 AM   #20443
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 01.10.2017, 10:22 AM   #20444
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yes! high fidelity! fucking, annoying. yapyapyapyapyapyapyapyap--to the camera. ugh. SHUT UP DUDE.

say anything is better. speaking of which-- i have the grifters and grosse point blank on the way.

Haha. Yeah, I mean, it's definitely not a great film, and it's more annoying than I thought when I was younger and snobbier and angstier (Rob, the Cusack character, is a real fucking snob, and a really angsty one at that), but I identified with him when I was in my early 20s.

I remember, back in, 2002 or 2003, my former high school girlfriend, who I was still kinda "touching base" with on a fairly regular occasion, saw High Fidelity and called me and said she felt like she finally "understood" me. I was happy as a clam at the comparison, and told her to watch Say Anything and Igby (speaking of Igby) for further study. Hah.

Looking back, I'm embarrassed. Like, "wow, ok, so this confused, jealous, snobby, whiny man-child who doesn't know what he wants made someone think of me, and I thought that was cool?!" Makes me want to re-evaluate my drug intake at the time. Maybe I was more out of it than I thought.

Grosse Point Blank is great. It's another one I haven't seen in ages, but it always turns out to be better than I remembered. Unfortunately, it came out in that post-Pulp Fiction era, where every violent-ish movie about crime or drugs with a dash of black comedy was marketed as "this year's Pulp Fiction," so this comedy was lumped in with films of a much different class, like Fargo. It's a shame. It's no Fargo, but it's good and funny as hell. Plus, it brought "Blister in the Sun" back into public consciousness, where it remains today.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2017, 10:25 AM   #20445
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Haha! "Madea," "Medea"

Sometimes I get stuff.
Old 01.10.2017, 10:55 AM   #20446
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Pasolini did embrace a form of realism during that period which was heavily influenced by 68-era political theory. Godard was interested in similar ideas in some of his late 60s-early 70s films. I'm not sure either of them would've described it as 'amateurish', but it does come over that way at times.

Anyway, last night I rewatched

La Belle et la Bete

I saw this once, quite a long time ago now, and thought it was absolutely astonishing for a film from 1946 ('47?). I don't remember much, but the imagery and the overall tone stuck with me. I must see it again now. Thanks for mentioning this.

I actually went looking for this a couple years ago, and was sidetracked by a 2014 remake starring Vincent Cassel (who I love, and who would make an excellent Joker, by the way). I rented it, and wasn't completely disappointed. It's nowhere near as good as Cocteau's by any stretch of the imagination, but it's sure to be better than the Disney live-action Beauty & the Beast remake that's coming out this year (ughck).

Its French, and again, it has Vincent Cassel, so I'd probably recommend it just for kicks. Here's a trailer if you're interested:

https://youtu.be/MStCMbNvvcw
Old 01.10.2017, 11:03 AM   #20447
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
@ rob - aaaa haaa haaa haaaa! thanks to sev's explanation now i get it. wonder if it's modeled after the original... prolly something

@ sev - ha ha hah ha. well. self awareness is a great thing-- so is growing up ha ha

@ demon - that one is amazing. another to have on a continuous loop on the wall. all cocteau's movies really-- the orpheus ones holy shit-- esp the last one

@ the dom - lvt is great. a true filmmaker, with a great visual style. is he a sadist who often tortures his characters and the audience with depictions of great suffering? yes, sure. but he's very good at it. he's had several phases, all of them interesting i think. the early one goes prolly from the element of crime to europa (i don't remember all the movies). then he was one of the dogme 95 people. then he did his american movies where women encounter charitable gringos (dogtown, dancer in the dark). later he did his depression trilogy (antichrist, melancholia, nymphomaniac I & II). i'm being very choppy here, missing a bunch of movies & themes. but his work is extensive. seeing it chronologically might be good cuz the element of crime was a pretty great debut.

re: medea, it's almost a silent movie as i recall. instead of a greek setting it looks european low medieval/viking. and the visuals pay a huge homage to carl theodor dreyer. was originally shot for tv so it's low resolution/bad transfer. worth the look for me though. oh, another great thing he did was KINGDOM. which later was remade in the us as "kingdom hospital", but fuck that. the original kingdom was a great fucking tv series. great.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2017, 02:26 PM   #20448
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
@symbols - Will expedite checking him out. My friend recommends Breaking the Waves to me constantly I'll borrow it from him.

Re: Pasolini - yeah I admit ameurerish was probably the wrong word. Didn't really have time to sit down and type something out properly. I've been doing some reading on him and my interest is pretty big with him right now.
Old 01.10.2017, 03:18 PM   #20449
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
breaking the waves is great-- and very much revealing of his themes-- but it's a mature film already, and made the international arthouse/indie circuit in its day, and he was already famous by then, and got a good cast etc. i mean a lot of people got introduced to him that way so it's a totally valid way to see him for the first time.

but if you can find "the element of crime" you'll be able to track his obsessions nicely from there forward. granted it's not the most masterful or mature of works, but the visual fireworks are pretty great especially considering the evident low budget he had in the mid 80s. he immerses you in a certain particular nightmarish atmosphere, and it's an atmosphere to which he'll return over & over through his work (not in breaking the waves, but in kingdom or antichrist for example). also it resonates with europa, a later movie which is the one that was sort of his breakout movie. epidemic is in the middle of those two-- it was kinda crazy and i don't remember much of it ha ha ha.

what can i say. i like chronologies. they're eye-opening. besides, he tends to work in trilogies and groups/series, which are interesting when seen that way.
Old 01.10.2017, 06:30 PM   #20450
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Green Inferno

In which a bunch of SJWs get captured and eaten by the very people they've set out to save: a premise I love.

Old 01.10.2017, 07:38 PM   #20451
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ ha ha ha ha that looks awesome!

i might have to wait till next halloween season just for ritualistic reasons but i'm thinking eli roth will have a bigger part this year than the last one
Old 01.10.2017, 09:44 PM   #20452
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The Neon Demon

Not sure what to say about this. Fucked up in the extreme. Borderline indescribable. Total head fuck. A film I can see myself watching over and over again without even trying to get to the bottom of it. Wow.

Old 01.10.2017, 11:03 PM   #20453
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

The Neon Demon

Not sure what to say about this. Fucked up in the extreme. Borderline indescribable. Total head fuck. A film I can see myself watching over and over again without even trying to get to the bottom of it. Wow.

Really wondering about this one since recently rewatching other Winding Refn films. Images look cool as hell.
Old 01.10.2017, 11:12 PM   #20454
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

I'm putting Neon Demon on my list. Thanks for the heads up!

Black Swan - Ehhhhhhhh. I loved it when it first came out but now it was really flat for me. Portman was incredible and I think some of the gimmicks got in the way. Would've liked to see less of the swan transformstion, she could've done that herself. Also seeing the Red Shoes recently spoiled this one.....
Old 01.11.2017, 11:45 AM   #20455
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

a fish called wanda

it's still funny after all these years, but not as funny as the first time

asshooooooooooooole!

plus the body of work of jamie lee curtis in the late 80s will live in history
Old 01.11.2017, 12:07 PM   #20456
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
what is a SJW?
Old 01.11.2017, 12:11 PM   #20457
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what is a SJW?
i was guessing single jewish women--because cohen

das racis! am i raciss?

but oh ha ha yes i am

the obvious google result is social justice warrior mha ha ha ha

but hey, i was betrayed by my own mind
Old 01.11.2017, 02:03 PM   #20458
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

what is the Jewish version of a PAWG?
Old 01.11.2017, 06:09 PM   #20459
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Small Time Crooks

Definitely not one of Woody's best. The movie switches completely about a 3rd in, from a pretty uninteresting heist plot to an only slightly better one about social mobility. It was part of a boxed set so all I can say is I'm pretty glad to have gotten it out of the way early.
Old 01.11.2017, 06:16 PM   #20460
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

Small Time Crooks

Definitely not one of Woody's best. The movie switches completely about a 3rd in, from a pretty uninteresting heist plot to an only slightly better one about social mobility. It was part of a boxed set so all I can say is I'm pretty glad to have gotten it out of the way early.
pablo's dog!

we put on the flavor with a chemical spray

the name chichi potter

all of cousin may's lines

"you know, the boys..."

etc etc etc

man, that movie is hilarious. my wife owns the vhs tape from way back when. we play it often, when there's nothing to do.

we like the goofy shit and this one of them. lots of great jokes.
5239239731013102010211022 1023 102410251026103310731123 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth