Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.17.2015, 01:25 PM   #1021
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Yeah I've thought about this for the last few months. The singles he's released have all varied between naff (FourFiveSeconds) to pretty good (Wolves), but nothing has blown me away. Whilst it'll be gutting if it happens you've gotta remember that it happens to all bands out there.

He's done 6 albums and they've all been pretty incredible. I can't think of many bands/musicians who can do that level of consistency.

However, it's just over a week before I go see him at Glastonbury. Man, oh man I'm pretty psyched about it.
i'm not worried about the album, Kanye just said he's taking his time with it to ensure it's on the same level as MBDTF. i think the lukewarm reception of the recent singles got to him. i won't be surprised if no one of them will actually land on the album. SWISH is probably just a working title, remember Good Ass Job was intended to be a boom bap record, then turned into the masterpiece that is MBDTF. i'm not expecting a happy album anymore, most likely the opposite just like his last 3 albums.

enjoy! you're gonna have a blast.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2015, 01:31 PM   #1022
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Kanye West Helped Kim Kardashian Accept Bruce Jenner’s Transition
http://time.com/3835506/bruce-jenner...im-kardashian/
Quote:
“Kim told me a story. She goes, ‘You know what really turned me around on thinking about this?’ I said, ‘What?’ She goes, ‘Kanye.’ I went, ‘Oh, okay,’” Jenner said. “He says to Kim, ‘Look, I can be married to the most beautiful woman in the world, and I am. I can have the most beautiful little daughter in the world, and I have that. But I’m nothing if I can’t be me. If I can’t be true to myself, they don’t mean anything.’”

Added Jenner: “Since then, Kimberly has been, by far, the most accepting, and the easiest to talk to about it.”

this is beautiful of course, and Kanye's sentence captures the same energy and inspiration i get from listening to one of his albums. but is anyone else baffled about how America seems surprised that Kanye is a great guy?
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2015, 01:51 PM   #1023
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
he may be a great guy but his music is dull like butter knives
Old 06.17.2015, 02:10 PM   #1024
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
he may be a great guy but his music is dull like butter knives

spoken like someone who spends zero time listening to his music.
Old 06.17.2015, 02:56 PM   #1025
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah, i think you're often an unfortunate one when it comes to communication. it's like you talk to yourself in front of others rather than talk to others. not always, but... happens.

ANYWAY, here is an example of what i'm taling about. please explain to me why i'm suppose dto like this (this is not what you "told me" to hear, but it's kanye, so... please do the honors)

Yeezy season approachin'
Fuck whatever y'all been hearin'
Fuck what, fuck whatever y'all been wearin'
A monster about to come alive again
Soon as I pull up and park the Benz
We get this bitch shaking like Parkinsons
Take my number and lock it in
Indian hair, no moccasins
It's too many hoes in this house of sin
Real nigga back in the house again
Black Timbs all on your couch again
Black dick all in your spouse again
And I know she like chocolate men
She got more niggas off than Cochran, hah!

wonderful, eh?

then

Baby girl tryna get a nut
And her girl tryna give it up
Chopped 'em both down
Don't judge 'em, Joe Brown
One last announcement
No sports bra, let's keep it bouncin'
Everybody wanna live at the top of the mountain
Took her to the 'Bleau, she tried to sip the fountain
That when David Grutman kicked her out
But I got her back in and put my dick in her mouth

maybe it's a secret code i do not understand or maybe... it's just shit?

This is something Kanye does well. He speaks plainly and openly about the male sexual mentality. It's something that exists within all men to some extent, and to deny that would be absurd. However, does he let it go unchecked? No. He has addressed the shame that comes with it. See "Runaway," "Blame Game," "Bound 2"

But seriously, you're picking out his most disgusting lyrics.

It's a testament to how unfamiliar you must be with his music that you think
these lyrics represent Kanye West. Here, how about this: I'll see your two verses of sexist crap that's present in almost all rap music, and raise you the entirety of Kanye's first four albums, and at least half of the material he's released since then.

if you don't like him that's fine. I just don't think you have an accurate picture of him, or what he "represents." I'm not saying he's a saint, but he spoke in support of Bruce Jenner, and he is a loving and reverent husband to his wife, and he loathes violence, is disturbed by social inequality and has a passionate and charitable spirit.

Is he also a garish boner sometimes? YES. So's Prince. Ever heard Wu-Tang Clan, or even A Tribe Called Quest? Lou Reed wrote some of the most depraved sexual lyrics to ever strike the ears of man! Paul McCartney sang of beating his woman. Kurt Cobain wrote a song called "Moist Vagina" that was non metaphorical!

Just do me a solid and give his music a fair shot.

And yeah I do kinda talk to myself out loud. Always have. I have been thinking of hiring a narrator to speak my thoughts aloud to me, so that I might free up some time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2015, 02:59 PM   #1026
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Louder to the rescue! Help! I'm fucking everything up!
Old 06.17.2015, 03:08 PM   #1027
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
This is something Kanye does well. He speaks plainly and openly about the male sexual mentality. It's something that exists within all men to some extent, and to deny that would be absurd. However, does he let it go unchecked? No. He has addressed the shame that comes with it. See "Runaway," "Blame Game," "Bound 2"

It's a testament to how unfamiliar you must be with his music that you think
these lyrics represent Kanye West. Here, how about this: I'll see your two verses of sexist crap that's present in almost all rap music, and raise you the entirety of Kanye's first four albums, and at least half of the material he's released since then.

if you don't like him that's fine. I just don't think you have an accurate picture of him, or what he "represents." I'm not saying he's a saint, but he spoke in support of Bruce Jenner, and he is a loving and reverent husband to his wife, and he loathes violence, is disturbed by social inequality and has a passionate and charitable spirit.

Is he also a garish boner sometimes? YES. So's Prince. Ever heard Wu-Tang Clan, or even A Tribe Called Quest? Lou Reed wrote some of the most depraved sexual lyrics to ever strike the ears of man! Paul McCartney sang of beating his woman. Kurt Cobain wrote a song called "Moist Vagina" that was non metaphorical!

And yeah I do kinda talk to myself out loud. Always have. I have been thinking of hiring a narrator to speak my thoughts aloud to me, so that I might free up some time.

To be honest, that's as clear as you can make it. This is just the same debate we had we suchfriends and he still sniffly refuses to admit that Kanye has done some pretty incredible stuff.

I'll say this about Kanye-I don't there's anyone in modern music who divides people as much as he does.

Ah, internet arguments.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2015, 03:21 PM   #1028
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
there are a lot of things that people could call Kanye that I wouldn't be able to necessarily defend. But I just can't understand anyone calling his music "dull."
Old 06.17.2015, 05:16 PM   #1029
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
This is something Kanye does well. He speaks plainly and openly about the male sexual mentality. It's something that exists within all men to some extent, and to deny that would be absurd.

really? i love fucking, but i don't treat women like a thing. and i certainly don't fuck and boast-- a despicable habit.

Quote:

i didn't pick it out, i swear. you said "yeezus" and i googled "yeezus lyrics" and that's the first thing that popped out-- that's the goddamn intro.

Quote:
It's a testament to how unfamiliar you must be with his music that you think these lyrics represent Kanye West.

i don't know. you keep saying that but all i see is like a terrible poetry slam by some really warped fucker. and i've never liked poetry slams.

see, you're asking me to look for more, but that's like me putting a chancred dick in your face and saying "suck it, it will be tasty once you get the hang of it" and you're like "erm, no thanks, i don't like the diseased dick" and i'm like "it's only the head, wait for the shaft, it will get good then", and on & on.

Quote:
Here, how about this: I'll see your two verses of sexist crap that's present in almost all rap music, and raise you the entirety of Kanye's first four albums, and at least half of the material he's released since then.

it's not just the sexism, but the incessant boasting and egomania--the hallmark of neediness and insecurity--that i find so insufferable. the worshipping of status symbols and the enshrinment of the crassest materialism as an ersatz path to liberation.

and yes, the artist is not the person, but his public persona and incessant ostentation and idiotic public statements are a massive turnoff. kinda like ted nugent with his right-wing bullshit.

though i agree with him beyonce had the much better video. jsut not "of all time..."

Quote:
if you don't like him that's fine.

i don't know that you mean that sincerely ha ha

Quote:
I just don't think you have an accurate picture of him, or what he "represents."

he's on the media every day. i see his representation, his fur coats, his displays. he stands for a certain kind of "success" which i find highly repellent.

Quote:
I'm not saying he's a saint, but he spoke in support of Bruce Jenner,

what a great humanitarian! really, a revolutionary. he has risked so much with this. truly, to defy danger in such manner

Quote:
and he is a loving and reverent husband to his wife,

i don't know about that one. didn't he call her "that bitch"? his wife is very much part of the problem i have with him. the values they broadcast. the cultural space they inhabit. the whole thing is repellent. of course they are a supply to the demand, but still.

Quote:
and he loathes violence,

i didn't know that. i'm guessing he's probably a bad fighter.

i
Quote:
s disturbed by social inequality

WAT. he IS social inequality. he PEDDLES social inequality. that's exactly my point. that's why i hate him. did you read the huffpo article i linked? maybe check it out.

Quote:
and has a passionate and charitable spirit.

i don't know him that close. i'm not saying he has no good qualities. i understand he frowns on blood diamonds. oh, that heroism again.

Quote:

never liked prince. i like some of rza but not wutang. what depraved lyric? don't know about mccartney. lol poor overrated kurdt. i don't have to like a garish boner. much less a chancred one.

Quote:

point me to one solid non-repugnant track. one single whif of a non-chanchred-dick smell. just one.

Quote:

your chatterbox is what's killing you
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2015, 05:44 PM   #1030
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
spoken like someone who spends zero time listening to his music.

I've invested time in it, I agree with Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
To be honest, that's as clear as you can make it. This is just the same debate we had we suchfriends and he still sniffly refuses to admit that Kanye has done some pretty incredible stuff.

That is because he hasn't, period.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2015, 06:52 PM   #1031
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Eyeroll at haterz
Old 06.17.2015, 06:59 PM   #1032
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Lennon wrote the lyrics about beating his girlfriend. McCartney just sang 'em. just sayin.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2015, 07:01 PM   #1033
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
see, you're asking me to look for more, but that's like me putting a chancred dick in your face and saying "suck it, it will be tasty once you get the hang of it" and you're like "erm, no thanks, i don't like the diseased dick" and i'm like "it's only the head, wait for the shaft, it will get good then", and on & on.

lol!!that's pretty warped. Kanye would be proud.

just sayin. Sev is right.
Old 06.17.2015, 07:57 PM   #1034
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Eyeroll at haterz
Dude. A hater is a person who has made ZERO effort to actually investigate something, take actual facts into consideration, or otherwise listen to reason. I cant speak for !@#$! or rob but in regards to Kanye i am not hater, in fact believe it or not, i actually wanted to like Kanye, his nusic has just never convinced me.

Old 06.17.2015, 09:13 PM   #1035
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

point me to one solid non-repugnant track. one single whif of a non-chanchred-dick smell. just one.

I already have, sir. I shall point you to more:

"Everything I am" (Please listen to this and tell me what about it is offensive.)
"Diamonds of Sierra Leone" (Not the remix, the album version)
"Champion"
"Jesus Walks"
"Can't tell me nothin" (Check it! Humility!)
"Good Morning"
"Who Will Survive in America"
"So appalled"
"See Me Now"
"Gorgeous"
"Hey Mama"
"Big Brother"
"Roses"
"My Way Home"
"Crack Music"
"New Day"
"Murder to Excellence"
"Made in America"

Seriously, man. All you have to do is pick some random songs and really listen, and you'll realize that what you hate about Kanye is present in hip-hop as a whole, and that Kanye is-- surprisingly -- less lyrically "repugnant" than most artists in the genre. This attitude and these lyrics makes up a very small, almost trivial piece of what Kanye West is... and what he represents.

I'm sorry but Kanye is not in any way an exceptionally offensive lyricist. And it's important to remember that he is a black man who grew up in the 80's and 90's in Chicago. He was not rich. He struggled. He's seen violence, and he's been a victim of racism, and he, like most rappers, uses his music to express his strength, and yeah there's some machismo bullshit involved in that, but ... like He says in "Can't Tell me Nothin"... "I guess I should have forgotten where I came from."
Old 06.17.2015, 09:13 PM   #1036
Severian
invito al cielo

"I had a dream I can buy my way to heaven
When I awoke, I spent that on a necklace.
I told God I'd be back in a second,
Man it's so hard not to act reckless.

To whom much is given much is tested.
Get arrested, guess until they get the message.

I feel the pressure, under more scrutiny,
and what I do? Act more stupidly, bought more jewelry, more Louis V, my momma couldn't get through to me.

The drama, people suing me,
I'm on T.V. talking like it's just you and me.

I'm just saying how I feel man,
I ain't one of the Cosby's I ain't go to Hill man
I guess the money should've changed him,
I guess I should've forgot where I came from.
"

-- "Can't Tell Me Nothin"

What's bothering me here is that you really don't know much about this man's work, and yet you're taking such a firm stance against it.

You tell me to name "one solid non-repugnant track" but I already have. I've pointed to specific songs, and entire albums, and you still can't be bothered to look any further.

The overwhelming message of College Dropout, Late Registration and (especially) Graduation is one of hope and positivity. All of his albums are extremely thoughtful, but those first three have literally none of the "repugnant" stuff you object to.

808's & Heartbreak is not positive, but it's sincere and heartfelt, and a brave demonstration of emotion. As is MBDTF, though if borders on the apocalyptic. And Yeezus is like a primal scream. Yes, lots of bad words, but also some of the most emotionally raw, resonant tracks that I've ever heard on a hip-hop album.

Honestly, I know "On Sight" is vulgar. So is "I'm in it", but really, those songs are outliers. I don't know how else to say it. You won't understand until you actually listen. I wish you would.
Old 06.17.2015, 09:22 PM   #1037
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Dude. A hater is a person who has made ZERO effort to actually investigate something, take actual facts into consideration, or otherwise listen to reason. I cant speak for !@#$! or rob but in regards to Kanye i am not hater, in fact believe it or not, i actually wanted to like Kanye, his nusic has just never convinced me.

By that definition, Symbols is totally a hater. haha.

But I've never known him to be closed minded, and that's why I'm really fucking perplexed.

BTW: SuchFriends, have you heard Killah Priest's Planet of The Gods yet? Another big fat massive ambitious project that probably isn't as good as Psychic World, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Old 06.17.2015, 09:24 PM   #1038
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

I think Yeezus is better than MBDTF. it's like raw 21st century electronic pop music with 'suck my dick' 'fuck you' lyrics. it's brilliant. whether who was involved or not. MBDTF is cool too like an updated WU record.

shut up and dance or headbang.
Old 06.17.2015, 09:35 PM   #1039
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

I could give a fuck about lyrics unless it's narrating me into another world. like the bob Dylan world. they have to sound cool too now!
Old 06.17.2015, 10:06 PM   #1040
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
By that definition, Symbols is totally a hater. haha.

But I've never known him to be closed minded, and that's why I'm really fucking perplexed.

BTW: SuchFriends, have you heard Killah Priest's Planet of The Gods yet? Another big fat massive ambitious project that probably isn't as good as Psychic World, but I'm enjoying it so far.
That priest is out? Ima check for it.. NOTHING will ever touch PWOWR but that doesn't mean it won't be good on its own merits

42495051 52 53545562 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth