Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal Streaming Review
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2009, 05:03 AM   #241
Androol
the destroyed room

Androol kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's asses
walkin blue just sounds like something off thurston's new solo but with kim singing. i mean its good but my strong impression was that i liked the song better when it was on trees outside the academy
Androol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 05:03 AM   #242
Androol
the destroyed room

Androol kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2004
my opinion is that it's yet another great addition to their discography and whatever any other so-called sy fan thinks doesn't bother me at all, that's their problem, not mine
agree 100%

still think its their worst though
Old 04.29.2009, 05:10 AM   #243
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androol
walkin blue just sounds like something off thurston's new solo but with kim singing. i mean its good but my strong impression was that i liked the song better when it was on trees outside the academy
This proves you're a moron. I may dislike the song but at least I know who sings it? >.> Kim isn't involved with that song I'm prettyyyy sure.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 05:11 AM   #244
Androol
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
This proves you're a moron. I may dislike the song but at least I know who sings it? >.> Kim isn't involved with that song I'm prettyyyy sure.
ok sorry i was thinking of the next song massage the history

"i know we're all confused its true. i know you feel the same way."

so give me a break alright
Old 04.29.2009, 05:14 AM   #245
Schizophrenia
little trouble girl

Schizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ok sorry i was thinking of the next song massage the history

"i know we're all confused its true. i know you feel the same way."

so give me a break alright

ok, worse then :|
massage the history is probably the best song in the whole album.
you should try listen to it again... really.

Schizophrenia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 05:15 AM   #246
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You mean "Massage", don't you.
Cuz Walking Blue is a signature Lee track
dOOd!!!!
Old 04.29.2009, 05:16 AM   #247
Androol
the destroyed room

ok starting now

and walkin blues just kicked my ass

and i suppose massage the history isnt that similar to trees outside the academy. its just the opening acoustic line thats very similar.
Old 04.29.2009, 06:32 AM   #248
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
OPINIONATED MESSAGEBOARD USERS FAIL TO AGREE CRITICAL CONSENSUS SHOCKER!!!
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 07:03 AM   #249
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
I'm quite surprised how strongly and positive everybody feels after a good couple of listens. this was my initial ideas.

Quote:
!! initial half-way impressions are that it's very enjoyable but not exceptional.. A couple of moments it's broken from the straighforward-ness and I've thought "why didn't they just base a song around that whole part?" which, i don't know.. this is just on first listen though - and also i'm not liking experiancing my new music this way at all. but it is nice. Also kind of what people have said/ guessed - like RR but significantly more rocking, it seems.

And I still kind of agree with that but after about the 3rd listen it started to catch. I think I've come to the conclusion that people like songs more than albums - as an album i find that it all kind of merges into one and doesn't flow all that great and I get a lttle fatigued listening to it by the latter half - it's good though don't get me wrong, better than RR I think, but not exceptional. What it is is a tight collection of solid accessable songs. And i think that's what people want. I enjoy all of it but a little disapointed that nothing has surprised me - which RR did do. I don't expec the band to have to surprise me at all but it is one aspect i enjoy of getting a new album.. (I kind of like going, what is this shit?! and then it to slowly eek in.) and I kind of think it needs a few more things to break it up. Everything is kind of in the same style and tempo.
Its a really good album - i think high points for me are massage the history, malibu gas station, anti-orgasm and thurstons lou reed impersonation - though the vocal panning on the chorus of that song is a bit shit.
That said I wouldn't stand by these opinions - I haven't had the album long enough. I also think it'd be a better album not to listen to in the context of a new release - rather than picking it up randomly when getting the catalogue of SY. if that makes any sense at all!
but i dont understand all the instant love also.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 09:56 AM   #250
yanouche
empty page

yanouche has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I'm after first listening and I really like it. It's fine album as a whole.
Though I can't stop smiling when I hear "In The Court of The Crimson King" in chorus of "Antenna". Anyone noticed?
yanouche is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 10:07 AM   #251
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-aim
I get a lttle fatigued listening to it by the latter half

Maybe because of the piss poor bit rate of the stream????
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 10:23 AM   #252
Schizophrenia
little trouble girl

Schizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanouche
I'm after first listening and I really like it. It's fine album as a whole.
Though I can't stop smiling when I hear "In The Court of The Crimson King" in chorus of "Antenna". Anyone noticed?

Someone also said that in this thread. I can't say anything about it cause I don't know that cd

Schizophrenia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 10:27 AM   #253
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone else not impressed after the first listen?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 10:36 AM   #254
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
^: Nope
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 10:56 AM   #255
Eli Renfro
little trouble girl

Eli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's asses
A good, solid album. It's probably not going to crack into the list of one of my favorites, but it's better than their weaker albums. So it's somewhere in the middle of the pack of their LPs, which means its pretty darn good.

My quick description would be the more mature 21st century SY songwriting style mixed with a Goo/Dirty type of aesthetic...if that makes any sense.

The Lee songs are the best Lee songs since NYC Ghosts, for sure. Walkin Blue is actually one of my favorite Lee songs ever, I hope it makes it to the live repertoire.

Massage the History is the best song on the album, though. So atmospheric and moody, love Kim's vocals, the acoustic guitar, etc... Fantastic way to end the album.

Malibu kicks ass. Antenna should become a Thurston concert staple. Actually, the only 2 songs I'm not really into are Sacred Trickster and Anti-Orgasm. I like the music of Anti-Orgasm, especially the spacey outro at the end, but the lyrics and "vocal stylings" are just... lame. Like if I was listening to Eternal with a friend or two at my place, I'd skip it so I wouldn't have to feel embarrassed to be listening to it. But I guess I'm in the minority on that opinion...oh well.
Old 04.29.2009, 11:20 AM   #256
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Walkin' Blue is better than anything off of Trees.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 11:23 AM   #257
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
Yes, I think this'll be a record that sounds better the more you listen. (Whereas Rather Ripped sounded really good on first listen, and less so on each subsequent one, haha.)

For me Rather Ripped was total trash on first listen, then grew on me. Though it still has big problems for me.

To me I loved on first listen and subsequent listens has made it even better. Though the OMG new album this is the best thing in the world has faded from it for me now.
Old 04.29.2009, 11:26 AM   #258
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Though the OMG new album this is the best thing in the world has faded from it for me now.

It had to happen sometime. But one should take that into account, & space their listens out more.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 11:29 AM   #259
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

I was bound to put on Sister and Evol after awhile just to see what I thought of them, and they're still my favorites. Though the band is so different now, it's like comparing Fugazi's The Argument to Repeater.
Old 04.29.2009, 01:35 PM   #260
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
listening to the stream right now. first listen. sacred trickster and anti-orgasm are pretty fucking rocking. didn't expect the gorgeous ending to anti.

i'm up to leaky lifeboat and for some reason i keep repeating it. i LOVE this song. i love the harmonics. it's such a great song, i don't know why. steve's drumming fucking rules
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
101112 13 141516 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth