Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Are the indie icons shit hot or simply shit?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.07.2006, 12:54 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=12342

Sonic Truth

Are the indie icons shit hot or simply shit?

by Steven Wells

and

Brian McManus

As every good little hipster knows, the mighty Sonic Youth are set to grace our fair city once more, in celebration of 25 years of ... well, what, exactly?

Depending on how charitable you're feeling, we're talking 25 years of continually pushing boundaries, endless innovation and effortless cool. Alternately, we're talking a quarter-century of inflicting some of the most self-indulgent, atonal art-wank ever unleashed upon an unsuspecting public.
It's a tough call, kids. So we've left it to two of our finest hacks to duke it out in an epic battle of who gives a shit. Let the battle begin.

By Steven Wells
Every music hack worth his salt leaves in his wake legions of spittingly furious fans of shit bands-like the stout lad who shouted out my name while I sat on a tube train. I looked up, smiled, waved. Fatty stood on the opposite platform, pointed to a CD of U2's greatest hits, and roared, "Cunt!"
The shittier the band, the madder the fans. So it should be no surprise that, despite the fanatical attentions of Travis, Morrissey, Stereophonics, Pixies and Belle and Sebastian partisans, hell hath no fury like a Sonic Youth fan scorned.
I once wrote a review that stated the utterly irrefutable fact that Sonic Youth are rubbish. It was like firing a flare gun into a rainforest canopy jam packed with psychotic howler monkeys. Even now, years later, they gibber and froth and toss their fecal matter in my general direction. This might lead one to conclude that Sonic Youth are in fact the shittest band ever. And one would be right.
My first encounter with SY came when the skinny Nietzsche-quoting, bleach blond, black-clad skinny lad who fancied himself the New Musical Express office intellectual reverently placed one of their LPs on the communal turntable.
"This has no tunes," I said.
"It's punk, you deaf bastard!" sneered the po-mo ponce.
"And yet it also lacks polemic, originality, wit, dynamic or indeed anything to suggest this isn't muzak churned out by aliens who, having studied the popular music of earth, reveal themselves as soulless replicant automatons through their inability to recreate an even vaguely passable pastiche. Aaaargh! Fuck! Stop stabbing me!"
For it was then that poodle-boy attacked me with a letter opener. The war has continued ever since.
Sonic Youth are a sacred cow dressed in the emperor's new clothes. They simply put out almost impossibly bad album after impossibly bad album, and are worshipped for it by a vast army of aesthetically insane poltroons.
I once concocted a theory that Der Yoof are in fact session musicians in the employ of some sinister avant-garde musical genius who instructed them to make "alternative" rock music that lacks all the characteristics that distinguish "alternative" rock music from, say, wallpaper paste. But that would just be too interesting.
I met Sonic Youth once. Thurston Moore turned out to be a smug prick. Being a smug prick myself, we got on well.
We argued about art. I pushed social surrealism as an alternative to the tired old ploy of repeating Duchamp's urinal gag again and again.
He looked confused, and said I was insane. At which point I realized I was dealing with an intellectual fetus.
Summarizing the encounter, I wrote that not only was all Sonic Youth's music rubbish, but they were old and smelled of piss. Several thousand finger-sniffing fanatics screamed "Blasphemy!" I've been on the run ever since.

By Brian McManus

All right. All right.
Are you finished, you old British coot? Sheesh. With all the spittle and fury you've set aside for Thurston and the gang, you'd think Sonic Youth danced the jig on Princess Di's grave, or worse, invented socialized dentistry.
Your thoughts about them are so terribly misguided and poorly informed, I hardly know where to start. Or if I even need to, since you seem perfectly willing to choke on a hairball made of your own snap judgment.
Ah, I'm no doubt sounding like your skinny, bleach blond chum back at the NME office. Let's keep this reasonably civil and take it point by point.
So mega-fans of Sonic Youth are annoying. No shit. What band doesn't claim annoying fans?
But just as I don't hold Jimmy Page responsible for every guitar-teching milquetoast dweeb who's ever fancied himself a glorious soloist, I don't blame Sonic Youth for the tiny bit of their fan base who seem intent on overintellectualizing them.
Why let those asswipes color your entire perspective on the band? The people still condemning Sonic Youth with the "noise band" noose haven't paid attention to them since '85's Gila Monster Jamboree. Some of their music today is downright ethereal.
No tunes? What about "Catholic Block," "Wish Fulfillment" and most obviously, "Teenage Riot," to name just three? Those are, if you'll allow me to don your bowler for a sentence, some solid bangers, mate. Downright hummable, even.
Sonic Youth are true mavericks, innovators and pioneers. Name another band that's been around as long without having to sacrifice an ounce of their integrity or creativity.
They practically wrote the book on how to both succeed on an independent level and deal with a major label. Hell, Geffen is practically their bitch.
And this is all on top of the band's influence, the scope and depth of which is too huge to get into here.
It's fitting that you hate SY, Steven. It wouldn't seem right otherwise. If it were up to you and your pop puppets, every song ever written would sound like a goddamn commercial jingle. "I Feel Like Chicken Tonight" would be high art so long as they threw in the word "cunt." Such narrow-mindedness should be the calling card of the soulless bean counters who run major music, not those who write about it.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 01:40 AM   #2
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
That was pretty funny.
Amaranth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 01:40 AM   #3
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
hahahahahaha, it's stuff like that why i hated sonic youth for so many years.

sonic youth is the worst band ever.

i'm gonna make me a t-shirt that says "CRITICS WISH THEY WERE CUNTS"

they give themselves so much imporatnce.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 09:33 AM   #4
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, nice answer back, moshe
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 09:52 AM   #5
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I had some dealings with Steven Wells in the 80's and to say that he was a complete "cunt" is an understatement... although to be honest I don't take him or his writing that seriously.

It's amusing to see that he's still ploughing the same old furrow.

The words grow up, and move on, spring to mind.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 03:00 PM   #6
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I like the second guy better
Old 06.07.2006, 03:08 PM   #7
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Man, that Steven Wells guy seems like a huge prick (with a very tiny one to go along with it). I'm not an overbearing mega-fan of Sonic Youth, but my god! I don't think I've ever acted with such resentment toward any other musical group I've ever heard or seen, and there are plenty that piss me off. Wells just seems like a grumpy, stupid, self-important fool who wouldn't know good music if it snuck up behind him and raped his already gaping-wide asshole.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 03:08 PM   #8
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
And that asshole is already so wide from having his fat, swelled head up there for the past 25 years.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 03:13 PM   #9
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic johnny
I had some dealings with Steven Wells in the 80's and to say that he was a complete "cunt" is an understatement... although to be honest I don't take him or his writing that seriously.

And didn't that creep who goes by the name of Paul Mathur end up living with his parents with no dosh and no gloss?I bagged a Scott 4 12'' from him though.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2006, 11:46 PM   #10
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Steven Wells is brilliant, he might be wrong about Sonic youth but he's right about all the things he says are great - Ikara Colt, Manic Street Preachers, The Fall, etc. The world would be a better place with more of his kind, especially in the music journalism realm. Even if you disagree with him he's worth reading just because he cares.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2006, 11:56 PM   #11
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
My first encounter with SY came when the skinny Nietzsche-quoting, bleach blond, black-clad skinny lad who fancied himself the New Musical Express office intellectual reverently placed one of their LPs on the communal turntable.
"And yet it also lacks polemic, originality, wit, dynamic or indeed anything to suggest this isn't muzak churned out by aliens who, having studied the popular music of earth, reveal themselves as soulless replicant automatons through their inability to recreate an even vaguely passable pastiche. Aaaargh! Fuck! Stop stabbing me!"

I wish more people would talk like this. I dont mean it in a patronising way either, i love the way he talks about meeting Thurston. Fact is im sure alot of Sonic Youth fans take it all a bit too seriously (ive not actually met anyone who likes them as much as me, possibly to my advantage). SY do mean the world to me, more than any other group. But lets not lose track of our sense of humour kids, if someone hates it and can be articulate about it, then thats better than someone who loves it and talks in cliches.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 05:50 AM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, but he's got so much of an agenda that if you read him regularly it just becomes a drag, he's quite repetative. and he's always beating his class-warrior drum.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 06:01 AM   #13
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Yes... he's made a career out of saying the same thing over and over again real loud and in your FACE... big deal.

I don't care that he doesn't like Sonic Youth in fact I'm glad.

Yes he has a sense of humour... well so do I.
"but they were old and smelled of piss" is quite amusing in an infantile kind of way.

Old 06.09.2006, 06:04 AM   #14
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

"but they were old and smelled of piss" is quite amusing in an infantile kind of way.

i dunno, saying old people smell of piss is one of the most standard and cliched insults around.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 06:07 AM   #15
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

That's what I meant in a round about fashion...

Old 06.09.2006, 06:47 AM   #16
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=12342

Sonic Truth

Are the indie icons shit hot or simply shit?

by Steven Wells

and

Brian McManus

As every good little hipster knows, the mighty Sonic Youth are set to grace our fair city once more, in celebration of 25 years of ... well, what, exactly?

Depending on how charitable you're feeling, we're talking 25 years of continually pushing boundaries, endless innovation and effortless cool. Alternately, we're talking a quarter-century of inflicting some of the most self-indulgent, atonal art-wank ever unleashed upon an unsuspecting public.
It's a tough call, kids. So we've left it to two of our finest hacks to duke it out in an epic battle of who gives a shit. Let the battle begin.

By Steven Wells
Every music hack worth his salt leaves in his wake legions of spittingly furious fans of shit bands-like the stout lad who shouted out my name while I sat on a tube train. I looked up, smiled, waved. Fatty stood on the opposite platform, pointed to a CD of U2's greatest hits, and roared, "Cunt!"
The shittier the band, the madder the fans. So it should be no surprise that, despite the fanatical attentions of Travis, Morrissey, Stereophonics, Pixies and Belle and Sebastian partisans, hell hath no fury like a Sonic Youth fan scorned.
I once wrote a review that stated the utterly irrefutable fact that Sonic Youth are rubbish. It was like firing a flare gun into a rainforest canopy jam packed with psychotic howler monkeys. Even now, years later, they gibber and froth and toss their fecal matter in my general direction. This might lead one to conclude that Sonic Youth are in fact the shittest band ever. And one would be right.
For it was then that poodle-boy attacked me with a letter opener. The war has continued ever since.
Sonic Youth are a sacred cow dressed in the emperor's new clothes. They simply put out almost impossibly bad album after impossibly bad album, and are worshipped for it by a vast army of aesthetically insane poltroons.
I once concocted a theory that Der Yoof are in fact session musicians in the employ of some sinister avant-garde musical genius who instructed them to make "alternative" rock music that lacks all the characteristics that distinguish "alternative" rock music from, say, wallpaper paste. But that would just be too interesting.
I met Sonic Youth once. Thurston Moore turned out to be a smug prick. Being a smug prick myself, we got on well.
We argued about art. I pushed social surrealism as an alternative to the tired old ploy of repeating Duchamp's urinal gag again and again.
He looked confused, and said I was insane. At which point I realized I was dealing with an intellectual fetus.
Summarizing the encounter, I wrote that not only was all Sonic Youth's music rubbish, but they were old and smelled of piss. Several thousand finger-sniffing fanatics screamed "Blasphemy!" I've been on the run ever since.

By Brian McManus

All right. All right.
Are you finished, you old British coot? Sheesh. With all the spittle and fury you've set aside for Thurston and the gang, you'd think Sonic Youth danced the jig on Princess Di's grave, or worse, invented socialized dentistry.
Your thoughts about them are so terribly misguided and poorly informed, I hardly know where to start. Or if I even need to, since you seem perfectly willing to choke on a hairball made of your own snap judgment.
Ah, I'm no doubt sounding like your skinny, bleach blond chum back at the NME office. Let's keep this reasonably civil and take it point by point.
So mega-fans of Sonic Youth are annoying. No shit. What band doesn't claim annoying fans?
But just as I don't hold Jimmy Page responsible for every guitar-teching milquetoast dweeb who's ever fancied himself a glorious soloist, I don't blame Sonic Youth for the tiny bit of their fan base who seem intent on overintellectualizing them.
Why let those asswipes color your entire perspective on the band? The people still condemning Sonic Youth with the "noise band" noose haven't paid attention to them since '85's Gila Monster Jamboree. Some of their music today is downright ethereal.
No tunes? What about "Catholic Block," "Wish Fulfillment" and most obviously, "Teenage Riot," to name just three? Those are, if you'll allow me to don your bowler for a sentence, some solid bangers, mate. Downright hummable, even.
Sonic Youth are true mavericks, innovators and pioneers. Name another band that's been around as long without having to sacrifice an ounce of their integrity or creativity.
They practically wrote the book on how to both succeed on an independent level and deal with a major label. Hell, Geffen is practically their bitch.
And this is all on top of the band's influence, the scope and depth of which is too huge to get into here.
It's fitting that you hate SY, Steven. It wouldn't seem right otherwise. If it were up to you and your pop puppets, every song ever written would sound like a goddamn commercial jingle. "I Feel Like Chicken Tonight" would be high art so long as they threw in the word "cunt." Such narrow-mindedness should be the calling card of the soulless bean counters who run major music, not those who write about it.
TLDR^^
ZEROpumpkins is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 07:52 AM   #17
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Steven Wells is brilliant, he might be wrong about Sonic youth but he's right about all the things he says are great - Ikara Colt, Manic Street Preachers, The Fall, etc. The world would be a better place with more of his kind, especially in the music journalism realm. Even if you disagree with him he's worth reading just because he cares.

Manic street preachers?????? great??????? hahahahahahahahhhhaaaaaaaaaghah. thats a good one, very witty.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 08:01 AM   #18
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Didn't Steven Wells castigate the Velvet Underground for being responsable of a million black-clad indie bands?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 10:03 AM   #19
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
"So mega-fans of Sonic Youth are annoying." Very true, and I don't know why, but it seems like I am on a board full of them.

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 11:34 AM   #20
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I can't believe one of those dickheads actually got to have a talk with thurton.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth