Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Hall of Fame (rock n roll ish)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.13.2012, 10:36 AM   #21
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
KISS not being in the rock n roll HoF is ridiculous

They exemplified ROCKnROLL!!!!

Have you read the Peter Criss autobiography? I read a review that made me want to find this at the library: "Ace Frehly was a chronic masturbator".

I can't imagine - and have no sympathy - how these guys could end up broke.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2012, 11:21 AM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
they snorted up their money.

Gene is worth like a billion dollars. he had a degree in banking/finance/accounting before he started KISS.
and he invests well, and he does not drink or do drugs, so he has little chance to blow money out his ass.
Old 12.13.2012, 11:29 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
those fuckers at Rolling Stone magazine prefer earnestness over actual ROCKING.

Here are some bands who should be among the honored bands, but are not. I am not a fan of all these acts, but by the criteria used to let other, far less deserving acts in the Hall, these fuckers should be in.

KISS
Kraftwerk
The Cure
New Order
Joy Division
The Smiths
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
The Pixies
Depeche Mode
Motorhead
SONIC YOUTH
Def Leppard
Husker Du
The Cars
Jane's Addiction
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Flag
INXS
Devo

any others come to mind?
I don't know too much about the prog like YES, or stuff like Deep Purple...
Old 06.04.2014, 09:37 AM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Did anyone see HBO's edited Hall of Fame show?

I DL'd it yesterday and saw half of it. had to forward the Cat Stevens stuff....

I will watch the Nirvana part tonight.
Old 06.04.2014, 10:35 AM   #25
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Where did you download it?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2014, 11:10 AM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the bay that is Pirate, did search for Rock Roll Hall Fame 2014.
Old 06.04.2014, 11:38 AM   #27
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Didn't know that particular site was still around. I'm gonna tell on you.

I was waiting for a file smaller than a gig and one came up.

Can't wait to be totally annoyed at the whole show.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2014, 12:34 PM   #28
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Def Leppard? Surely you jest.
And as much as I love The Smiths, surely they are "earnest" as shit before "rocking" can be figured in.
And kraftwerk are one of the most important musical acts of all time, but if it is a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they are not in any way a "rock" band of any kind
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2014, 12:36 PM   #29
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
In any case, this whole thing is an outmoded baby boomer crap institution with arbitrary entrance requirements as far as I can tell, and deserves total indifference IMO.
Old 06.04.2014, 01:03 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I fully agree Savage.
Old 06.04.2014, 04:54 PM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

?uestlove interview in Rolling Stone

How did you meet Kiss when you were 7?
I was at a hotel in Buffalo, and my mom and dad [musicians Lee and Jacqui Andrews] were on the stage doing their last set. I go on the dresser to get 50 cents to get a soda, and I go up to the soda machine. Suddenly, the doors open – beep – out walk Ace and Peter and all their guards, sans makeup and they have all their Kiss memorabilia on, but still it's Ace and Peter. And I look I went, 'Aaaaaaah!' And then I ran so fast. I kept circling, screaming my ass off. And then, my dad did the most logical thing ever. He took me into the game room. Paul Stanley was playing a sit-down pinball game. Was there a group called Boston?
Yeah.
Did they have a big fat guy? Anyway, I was 7 years old. So it's Boston, Kiss and Kansas. And Paul was playing pinball and said, "I heard about this guy. This guy was scared and screaming and woke up the neighbors." And I got his autograph and I got Ace's autograph. I didn't get Gene's autograph. I didn't see Peter Criss after that. But it was the first time I saw that Almost Famous hedonistic debauchery atmosphere, all the women there. They basically took over the whole game room. And I got their autograph. That was my story all fourth grade. "I met them! I met them!" So to see them finally get this, they even affected me. So I'm so happy.
So you're happy to have contributed to getting them in the Rock Hall.
Yeah, and that's the first thing I asked about when they asked me to join. "Well, what if I vote for Kiss?" It was like the "funny idea." But once Tom gave that speech, I gave up all my choices. I'll fight for Sonic Youth next year.
Old 06.04.2014, 11:23 PM   #32
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Kiss are terrible musicians and excellent businessmen.
That music is shit.
Were I 15 years older I might feel differently, but seriously.
Commerce? Branding? A triumph.
Art? FUCK THAT.
Garbage.
Old 06.04.2014, 11:29 PM   #33
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Also, deep Purple wiped the floor with most of their contemporaries during the Blackmore/ Gillan era. Jon Lord killed and Ian paiste ruled. Holy shit, did those live boots kill. Scandinavian nights? Forget about it! Few could touch them.
Old 06.05.2014, 08:16 AM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

YES, Deep Purple, The Cure, Sonic Youth, etc. the list of those who should be honored for their contribution to rock n roll is vast.

I have visited the rock n roll hall of fame when I was in Ohio for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony a few years back.

There were some cool things to see, an exhibit of Ramone's persopnal items and pages from Dee Dee's lyrics sheet for one, but it was indeed masturbatory scene. The worst was a giant exhibit of stage outfits and costumes of people like madonna, britney spears, N sync, etc, decidedly NOT rock n roll.
Old 06.24.2014, 04:10 PM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I finally watched the entire edited HBO broadcast of the ceremony.

Joan Jett singing Teen Spirit was OK, but she looks crazy as fuck with all the cosmetic surgery she has had.

I LOVED Kim G singing Aneurism. She tore the shit down and it was the only truly awesome part of the thing (besides getting to hear and watch Grohl on drums!!!) She rocked it, gave it everything, and I bet there were some SQUARE ASS fucks in the crowd who were sitting there dumbfounded.

Watching the skinny lady from St Vinnie sing was OK. she was really tepid, and the performance was bland. You cold see her body language afterwards as she walked off stage past Krist that she thought it could have been better, Lithium is not a song I would have chosen to perform. That's just me.

Then Lorde (not Madonna's daughter Lourdes) sang All Apologies, which is to me the most boring Nirvana song ever, and she did her spastic broken marionette bullshit as she was prepping to sing, which was annoying.
Old 06.24.2014, 04:16 PM   #36
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Joan Jett doing Teen Spirit was great. Not sure about Kim though. The energy was lacking for me.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2014, 04:32 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Never seen a 60+ year old rock that hard frankly.

Joan rocked it too though.
Old 06.24.2014, 05:24 PM   #38
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the ceremony.

Joan Jett singing Teen Spirit was OK, but she looks crazy as fuck with all the cosmetic surgery she has had.

What has that got to do with her performance though? Rob, you let me down when you write shit like that.
Old 06.24.2014, 07:15 PM   #39
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

The other ladies can't compare to this though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOHvCIPPKH0

I didn't pay much attention to St. Vincent before and I don't know why. Excellent performance.
Old 06.24.2014, 09:50 PM   #40
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Def Leppard?

I'm still amazed at the transformation of Def Leppard between, 'High & Dry' and 'Hysteria.' H&D recorded using minimal tracking where Hysteria used for thirty for each song. Thomas Dolby did all of the programming / keyboards on Hysteria for a quick money grab and was insistent he not be credited for ANY OF IT......cost him millions over the years in royalties.

Between 84 - 87 or so, many groups "changed" sounds to something a little more electrical:

ZZ Top - Afterburner
Van Halen - 5150
Ozzy Ozbourne - The Ultimate Sin
Rush - Grace Under Pressure
Yes - 90125

In my opinion, it all started with Alabama's, 'The Closer You Get' release back in 83.

A few months back, Dead-Air allowed his son to pick all the songs for a, 'What's This Called?' that was taking place on his sons birthday. The show started with a track from the new Joan Jett album is it was great! I will be picking up that album soon enough......
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth