Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ever start disliking a band because of the musician's personality?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.04.2010, 05:19 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I recently came to the realization, judging from a couple of interviews, and from one net-correspondence, that a musician I highly respected comes off like a complete asshole, in every way a person could be... bitter, cocky, etc. This deeply troubled me, as I've been a fan of his music for years. I still enjoy the music, obviously, and you know, most musicians are probably assholes when it comes down to it, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

So, I figured it'd be interesting to ask on here, if you've met any musicians, and their personality had a negative impact in your listening of their music?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
music is very personal so I can definitely see how his could be an issue.

I have never met too many of my rock legend heroes, but I woudl prefer not to to maintain the illusion!!!
Old 05.04.2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I recently came to the realization, judging from a couple of interviews, and from one net-correspondence, that a musician I highly respected comes off like a complete asshole, in every way a person could be... bitter, cocky, etc. This deeply troubled me, as I've been a fan of his music for years. I still enjoy the music, obviously, and you know, most musicians are probably assholes when it comes down to it, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

So, I figured it'd be interesting to ask on here, if you've met any musicians, and their personality had a negative impact in your listening of their music?
Why should we say if you're not telling.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 05:30 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Heh.

Because said person probably reads this board... and I don't feel like dealing with the bullshit at the moment.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 05:34 PM   #5
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Mary Timony was a rude bitch when I asked her a simple question after a show once. She was not cut out to have fans of any kind.
Her music always reminds me of THAT now... almost unlistenable.

But that is the exception. Most musicians are pretty neat.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 05:38 PM   #6
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
one of my friends gushed in front of lou reed a few months ago and lou just kinda stared and ignored him. i guess that would put me off VU or his solo work for a while, though i'm not sure i'd even have the balls to approach him in the first place.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 05:40 PM   #7
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
haha, my girlfriend was backstage at a lou reed show when she was in high school and he was like a total prick to her and her friend, but was super nice to everyone else! she said it totally ruined the velvet underground for her. i thought it was hillerious
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's happened in the past. But generally I only tend to meet small-scale musicians, who have an added need to be not-cunts when they're playing to 20 people on a Tuesday night.

On the other hand, there are quite a few people whose music hasn't initially captivated me but did once I realised they were an awesome person. There's also a lot of musicians I know who I habitually have to lie through my teeth to because, although they're lovely people, their music is gash beyond belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 06:08 PM   #9
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Never anyone I was a huge fan of. Bright Eyes was a complete dick as was Sufjan Stevens. Still, it wasn't like I expected different. Most other musicians I have met have been pretty down to earth. Ches Smith was my favorite. One of the coolest people I've ever met.
Old 05.04.2010, 06:10 PM   #10
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

On the other hand, there are quite a few people whose music hasn't initially captivated me but did once I realised they were an awesome person. There's also a lot of musicians I know who I habitually have to lie through my teeth to because, although they're lovely people, their music is gash beyond belief.

Same here. There are a number of local acts I see on a regular basis whose music never really interested me and is certainly not my style, but since learning how great they were as people, the music seems much more inviting. I think it's moreso that I understand the music better after understanding the person.
Old 05.04.2010, 06:11 PM   #11
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Heh.

Because said person probably reads this board... and I don't feel like dealing with the bullshit at the moment.

I didn't realize Kurt Vile read the board.
Old 05.04.2010, 06:14 PM   #12
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Personally I'd be disappointed if Lou Reed WASN'T a dick to me, I mean, come on that's his thing!

I haven't met TOO many big musicians...Jamie Stewart is really nice, as are both members of Outkast. And Lee was of course super...J. Mascis was nicer than I expected him to be...Ludacris was really dumb and into himself, kinda expected....I grew up with the pop singer Ciara but I can't remark on how she is now. She was very nice when we were kids though!
That's all I can think of at the moment...
Old 05.04.2010, 06:23 PM   #13
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
The musicians I've met have always been nice to me, but that's probably because I'm so charming
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 06:31 PM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
No.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 06:35 PM   #15
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
i don't wanna say he was a dick, but jamie stewart had this certain pompous aura about him when i saw him (had his nose up in the air and all) and i didn't bother to talk to him because of that. caralee was extraordinarily nice, on the other hand.

didn't really change my xiu xiu listening habits.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 06:39 PM   #16
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Jamie was super nice when I talked to him. The drummer at the time, Ches Smith, was the nicest musician I've ever met. His percussion set was phenomenal as well.
Old 05.04.2010, 06:54 PM   #17
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
Personally I'd be disappointed if Lou Reed WASN'T a dick to me, I mean, come on that's his thing!

thats what i told her. but i guess the kicker was that he was really nice to all these other people there. like there were some high school boys who were talking to him about some essay they wrote about his lyrics and he was like super amped and all they said was "hi" and he just looked at them and kept on walking. hahaha
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 07:56 PM   #18
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Mmm, I've never really reversed the polarity of my interest in a musician after finding out he was a dickhead or not. The closest I came to anything like that I guess is with Metallica.

I never liked that band to begin with, but I really don't like them now after just seeing handfuls of interviews and stuff with them. Like in that classic albums thing on VH1 about the Black Album, and Lars is talking about when Kirk came in with the riff for Enter Sandman, but it was a little different at the time, and Lars tells him he should play it this other way, which is all fine. But then they just refer to Lars' suggestion like it was the most brilliant thing ever.

Those guys are just a bunch of pussies and way too into themselves. However, I seriously applaud them for putting out that Some Kind of Monster documentary, that took balls to show themselves as such idiots. Coolest thing they ever did was put that thing out.

Otherwise no.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 08:41 PM   #19
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
wasn't there a growing pains episode about this? ben wants to see some rocker dude and gets a backstage pass before the show. he sees said rocker fooling around with a woman who ben knows is not his wife. he is heart broken and goes home with his dad and then rips rocker dude's poster off of his wall. he has a talk with his pops and then decides that he does want to see the show regardless of the infidelity he saw. all is well.

ive never met a musician who was a dick so far. haven't met too many. but Nels Cline is an incredibly nice human being. when he was touring with mike watt in 98 i saw them in nashville. i met nels before the show and he invited me and my friends backstage and we hung out for about 40 minutes. he even let me play his beat up 59 black jazzmaster that he always plays. thurston played that same guitar at coachella when their gear was stolen.

mike watt is a very nice gentleman as well.

don't know if it would bother me if a musician was a dick. don't think so but maybe.
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 08:56 PM   #20
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
That's always been one of my favorite things about the noise scene, everyone is so cool and down to earth.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth