Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY Decade Reflection
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.29.2009, 02:28 PM   #21
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
most of his stuff is completely silent, so you won't even have to turn the sound off.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 02:48 PM   #22
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
NYGAF: disliked it at first but learnt to like it.
MURRAY st: fucking love at first sight
NURSE: first listening was painful, second and others thereafter blissful.
RR: i always liked the summery vibe. The songs are not their best but i listen to it pretty often whenever the weather's nice and i feel like listening to something "light"
Eternal: I really like it. The songs are great. The vibe is raw. But also sensitive stuff "Massage" or "Antenna". I really enjoyed discovering this one.

da Yoof is da YOof.

PS: wasn't too impressed with the SYRs from this decade. BUt i really loved TOTA.
Old 05.29.2009, 02:52 PM   #23
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Ha, cool. I've only seen a couple of clips of his stuff, I'm looking forward to the DVD.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 03:12 PM   #24
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
NYCG&F - loved it from first listen. Still do.
SYR5 - meh. a nice idea, but...
MURRAY STREET - best SY album of the decade.
KALI YUG - good stuff.
IN THE FISHTANK - pretty not good.
SONIC NURSE - very very good. Especially Kim's contributions.
HIDROS 3 - oft overlooked. Pretty good at times.
SYR6 - kind of weak, but alright.
RATHER RIPPED - awesome pop. Too much undeserved hate.
THE DESTROYED ROOM - love love love it. 2nd best of the decade.
SYR7 - kicks ass.
SYR8 - kicks even more ass!
HITS ARE FOR SQUARES - a nice collectible item.
THE ETERNAL - I wont hear for another week or so.
SOUNDTRACK SERIES VOL 1 - better f'ing come out this year!!!!
Old 05.29.2009, 03:27 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
as far as this THIRD DECADE of sonic youth goes, I find myself with these thoughts.

NYCG&F - took me a while to enjoy it. still seems like mainly background music and I hates me some background music. it does have 1 or 2 of the top 20 sonic youth songs ever on it though.
SYR5 - I like it for what it is. do not listen to it much.
MURRAY STREET - Liked it when I first got it, and slowly have liked it less and less. I find it un-inspired, and bordering on tedious at times. It feels like music for older ladies after church. Do not listen to it much unless I wanna listen to sonic youth that will not grate on my girlfriend's ears.
KALI YUG - fucking LOVE it. I would listen to it while internettin' and I would find my mind zoned out on the music instead of whatever I was doing online. I am dying to find the french vinyl release of it.
IN THE FISHTANK - kind of meh, I always have found sonic youth to be better after they have worked and worked on their music, not writing toss-off tunes.
SONIC NURSE - BEST SY ALBUM of the last ten years, It fucking ROCKS right off the bat. It has amazing Kim songs. It is just a blast to hear after the drudgery that was murray street. Love it so much.
SYR6 - like all SYR releases, more of an aural experiment to be enjoyed on those terms than a GREAT collection of sounds.
RATHER RIPPED - seemed too simple at first but that is th beauty of it. I love it now. even sleeping around.. ha ha. I Love You Golden Blue is the most sadly beautiful haunting, amazing song to drive to late at night.
THE DESTROYED ROOM - some fabulous shit, but I have not heard it enough to be a true judgement.
Old 05.29.2009, 05:56 PM   #26
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
as far as this THIRD DECADE of sonic youth goes, I find myself with these thoughts.

NYCG&F - took me a while to enjoy it. still seems like mainly background music and I hates me some background music. it does have 1 or 2 of the top 20 sonic youth songs ever on it though.
SYR5 - I like it for what it is. do not listen to it much.
MURRAY STREET - Liked it when I first got it, and slowly have liked it less and less. I find it un-inspired, and bordering on tedious at times. It feels like music for older ladies after church. Do not listen to it much unless I wanna listen to sonic youth that will not grate on my girlfriend's ears.
KALI YUG - fucking LOVE it. I would listen to it while internettin' and I would find my mind zoned out on the music instead of whatever I was doing online. I am dying to find the french vinyl release of it.
IN THE FISHTANK - kind of meh, I always have found sonic youth to be better after they have worked and worked on their music, not writing toss-off tunes.
SONIC NURSE - BEST SY ALBUM of the last ten years, It fucking ROCKS right off the bat. It has amazing Kim songs. It is just a blast to hear after the drudgery that was murray street. Love it so much.
SYR6 - like all SYR releases, more of an aural experiment to be enjoyed on those terms than a GREAT collection of sounds.
RATHER RIPPED - seemed too simple at first but that is th beauty of it. I love it now. even sleeping around.. ha ha. I Love You Golden Blue is the most sadly beautiful haunting, amazing song to drive to late at night.
THE DESTROYED ROOM - some fabulous shit, but I have not heard it enough to be a true judgement.

i love you golden blue is on sonic nurse, you know that, i know.
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 08:59 PM   #27
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
NYC Ghosts&Flowers - I didnt use to get it, but now i love it!!
Murray Street - Great,great,great album
Sonic Nurse - Kim dominates, pretty good album overall
SYR6 - I really like it
Rather Ripped - meh, not that great, but it does have its moments
The Destroyed Room - Great collection of b-sides
Hits are for squares - Pretty cool
The Eternal - Beautiful, one of there best imo
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 09:02 PM   #28
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Personally I think this has been SY's greatest decade.
Old 05.29.2009, 09:11 PM   #29
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
one i forgot which seems to have not been mentioned: melbourne direct is motherfucking dynamite yo. not under the sy name, but it has them all on it (kim is on 'artwork' :P)

i just never got into the vibe on 7. i'd heard so much about j'accuse ted hughes (but never heard a boot of it), and there was the whole vinyl only thing which always helps generate hype, that whe i actually came round to it it seemed a bit... bland. the b-side was alright but didn't grab me, agnes b musique or whatever it was called. seeing as how i've recently reappraised nycg&f, i should probably go back to it, but my record player's fucked.

best decade of da yoof? quite probably now you come to mention it, zero.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 09:16 PM   #30
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Man I can't wait till I finally get my hands on eternal, sounds great.

Also Destroyed Room could have been a box set with EP's and stuff. I'd buy it in a second.
Old 05.29.2009, 09:26 PM   #31
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucklechimp
It's almost a new decade, which is weird, and SY of course has blessed us with a ton of shit to listen to (for the sake of discussion, I'm including the year 2000). So, what's been your favorite these past ten years? It's really interesting to think back on what has come out this decade because their releases have really ranged in styles.

My favorites are NYC Ghosts + Flowers -- definitely one of my favorite albums from SY. Compared to later releases this decade, NYCGF obviously stands out. Noisy, dark beat poetry.

SYR 7 -- This is a landmark SY record. An absolute sonic assault on track 1. followed up by an amazing ambient piece, which is sort of rare for SY. Some of the stuff on track 2 reminds me of Windy & Carl for some reason.

Murray Street -- Introduces the "classic rock" sound, but still has that experimental edge. Love the horrible horns from Borbetomagus on Radical Adults. One of their best records!

My personal opinion is that Rather Ripped is the worst proper album the band has ever released, but Nurse which I though was so-so at first, gets better each time I listen to it. The Eternal from what I have sounds awesome so far, I just hope it isn't uninspired like RR.

So what is everyone's highlights from this decade?

I am one of those strange people who thinks that Sonic Youth in the 00s is actually better, generally speaking, than Sonic Youth in the 80s or 90s.

I've read some things on this forum that basically say "they have been all the same in the 00s". NO! I cannot agree with that statement at all. NYCGF and Murray Street and Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped (and presumeably The Eternal) are all quite different from each other, and all Beyond Worthy. 5 great records! All create a mood, all flow beautifully, all contain several absolute gems of songwriting and soundcraft, and performance.

And yes....I mean Rather Ripped too. I'll never understand the lack of love for this outstanding, economical, thrilling record.

But, I have not heard The Eternal yet, so I cannot fully answer the query about the 00s highlights yet. It's a tough question. Like, which one of your kids do you love the best?
Old 05.29.2009, 09:27 PM   #32
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
fuck off, you're talking about records that came out on different decades.

Um....wtf are you talking about?
Old 05.29.2009, 09:32 PM   #33
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodcrystallisetosand
one i forgot which seems to have not been mentioned: melbourne direct is motherfucking dynamite yo. not under the sy name, but it has them all on it (kim is on 'artwork' :P)

i just never got into the vibe on 7. i'd heard so much about j'accuse ted hughes (but never heard a boot of it), and there was the whole vinyl only thing which always helps generate hype, that whe i actually came round to it it seemed a bit... bland. the b-side was alright but didn't grab me, agnes b musique or whatever it was called. seeing as how i've recently reappraised nycg&f, i should probably go back to it, but my record player's fucked.

best decade of da yoof? quite probably now you come to mention it, zero.

Yeah it's pretty good. Similar to WITHOUT KIM.
Old 05.30.2009, 01:44 AM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
i love you golden blue is on sonic nurse, you know that, i know.

yes sorry love that fuckin song. could die to it ya know?
Old 05.30.2009, 01:58 AM   #35
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I've only heard Murray Street and Sonic Nurse. I like both of them, but I don't really have the desire to ever listen to them.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2009, 01:16 PM   #36
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Just found this thread. Thought it would clash nicely with the "00s" thread.

As for my comment: Surprising is how I would characterize SY in the 00's. As one who listens to the SYR series on a seamless continuum w/ the albums proper (for better or worse) I was expecting a more thorough integration of avant-noise work-outs into the regular albums after SYR4. That never really happened. Everything just keeps "rocking." That said, NYCG&F was an auspicious inauguration of the decade. Maybe it was the instrumentation--after losing their old gear they had to start from scratch.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2009, 01:37 AM   #37
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Personally I think this has been SY's greatest decade.

This.
Old 12.11.2009, 01:44 AM   #38
Skuj
invito al cielo

LOL. This is an older thread and I forgot that I posted in it. Now that I've grasped the mighty Eternal, my post of May 29th above has an excitement/appreciation factor that is multiplied by 2 or 3.
Old 12.11.2009, 04:53 PM   #39
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth have been officially snubbed on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Albums of the '00s list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...of_the_decade/

And this naturally begs the question concerning whether they had it coming or if it's due to the rag's egregious omission.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2009, 05:12 PM   #40
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Kim Gordon's dress sense has improved immeasurably, reaching glamorous proportions. Something that can't be said for the boys, who still dress circa "Bad Moon Rising"!
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth