Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page So do we figure they'll tour DDN?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.06.2007, 08:13 AM   #21
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I can't? Then why do I hear their music playing in cafes full of people under 21 all of the time? There's nothing unique about a band having a large part of their fanbase born after their earlier work was released. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin come immediately to mind as groups that fit that description, and you could fill pages with more.

Tell those kids in the cafes that Flock of Seagulls are playing in town, and how many of them will shell out $20+ to go see them? As for the Beatles, Zeppelin and other classic rock groups, OK, you have a point. I think we agree that SY has not rested on its laurels and continues to move forward.

So, why it's not a good idea to do a Daydream Nation tour, I don't understand. What's wrong with giving people a chance to hear great music that they haven't heard before? Rhys Chatham just did a tour of Guitar Trio, 30 years after its release. I saw it in Brooklyn, and it was great. Revisiting your past once in a while may be nostalgic by definition, but it no more makes you a "nostalgia act" than cooking an occasional meal makes you a "chef."
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 05:58 PM   #22
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Tell those kids in the cafes that Flock of Seagulls are playing in town, and how many of them will shell out $20+ to go see them? As for the Beatles, Zeppelin and other classic rock groups, OK, you have a point. I think we agree that SY has not rested on its laurels and continues to move forward.

So, why it's not a good idea to do a Daydream Nation tour, I don't understand. What's wrong with giving people a chance to hear great music that they haven't heard before? Rhys Chatham just did a tour of Guitar Trio, 30 years after its release. I saw it in Brooklyn, and it was great. Revisiting your past once in a while may be nostalgic by definition, but it no more makes you a "nostalgia act" than cooking an occasional meal makes you a "chef."

Agreed 100%.
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 06:03 PM   #23
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneg
I want DDN to be played in New York. Twice.
you could always see bright eyes one of the SEVEN nights he's playing town hall in may. seven? is that ridiculous or am i drunk?

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 07:57 PM   #24
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
you could always see bright eyes one of the SEVEN nights he's playing town hall in may. seven? is that ridiculous or am i drunk?

that is insane. the arcade fire played like five shows in a row two weeks ago. it sold out before i could get tickets. Sonic Youth should do that.
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 10:49 AM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I would like to hear the entirety of DDn in conce4rt. Sonic Youth shoul do it like Phish where they pl;ay a one hour set then take a break then play a two hour set.
No opening band!!!!
Old 03.07.2007, 07:05 PM   #26
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory

Well, I for one would actually be dissapointed to be at a Sonic Youth show and know song for song what they were going to play and what every note sounded like.

I saw them on the original tour for Daydream Nation, and it wasn't like that then. They played other material, which of course wouldn't make sense if they did a tour of that album today.

The great thing about seeing them live is wondering what will happen next and if they might play one of your favorite songs. They usually do too. They play 2-4 songs off of Daydream Nation all of the time. They also play songs off of Sister, which is great for me, since the one tour I've missed since 1985 was Sister because they played a bar in Seattle a month before I turned 21. Does that mean I wish they'd go out again and tour that album all over again two decades later instead of doing new stuff? Uh, no.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 07:27 PM   #27
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Does that mean I wish they'd go out again and tour that album all over again two decades later instead of doing new stuff? Uh, no.

Why would a tour of Daydream Nation be "instead of" anything? They did their Rather Ripped tour last year, and if they follow their pattern, they will have a new album and supporting tour in 2008. A tour of Daydream Nation, if they did it this year, would be an extra bonus or a "special project," if you will.

Regarding their normal, post-album tours, I agree with everything you said. If they played Daydream Nation in its entirety while touring after a new album, then I would be disappointed. I was even disappointed that Rather Ripped was played sequentially at CBGB this year. (But it was still a great show! )
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 07:58 PM   #28
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
The fact that they have the motivation to relearn all of DDN and play it amazes me. I think it's great. I'm actually incredibly happy that they're [hopefully] touring it. I would honestly be disappointed if all the band did was move forward-which they clearly don't. I mean, they DO move forward, but that obviously isn't the only thing they do-they always bring back old songs.
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 12:17 AM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
sonic youth rule all daydream nation rules all let it happen!!!!
Old 03.08.2007, 01:24 PM   #30
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
damn:

June 16 Wiesbaden, Germany Schlachthof
June 21 Munich, Germany Tollwood Festival Performing Daydream Nation
June 23 Neuhausen, Germany Southside Festival
June 24 Scheessel, Germany Hurricane Festival
June 26 Koln, Germany E Werk
June 27 Berlin, Germany Columbia Halle Performing Daydream Nation
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 02:52 PM   #31
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Feelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Does that mean I wish they'd go out again and tour that album all over again two decades later instead of doing new stuff? Uh, no.

OK man, we get it. You don't want to see it, you don't want it to happen. You've totally convinced everyone here that you don't want it to happen. Got it.
Feelyat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 03:08 PM   #32
Spiritual Amnesia
children of satan

Spiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvdWee
damn:

hell yeah, munich !!!!!!!!!!!!!
what a great day.............
Spiritual Amnesia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2007, 05:22 AM   #33
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvdWee
damn:

Damn, _slavo_ could save loads of money....
Now if they won't play a DDN gig in italy I'll be not happy.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2007, 08:16 AM   #34
Alexander
little trouble girl

Alexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's asses
A full-scale tour of Daydream Nation would be unlikely, but you never know. Sonic Youth have always been a prolific group, acredited for their spontaneity and innovativness. I think thats why we're all here right now. So, I say... anything can happen.
Alexander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2007, 08:19 AM   #35
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Sonic Youth have always been a prolific group, acredited for their spontaneity and innovativness.
There would be nothing spontaneous or innovative about a full-scale Daydream Nation tour. It would actually be the LEAST spontaneous / innovative thing that the band could possibly do.

Nothing personal intended there, Alexander, I just happen to think that a DDN rehash tour would be a very bad idea.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 01:33 AM   #36
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
There's an ATP in chicago and pitchfork said there will be a big band on it.
I'm hoping it's sonic youth.
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 04:16 AM   #37
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Damn, _slavo_ could save loads of money....
Now if they won't play a DDN gig in italy I'll be not happy.

well not really, I'm not that keen on festivals. and what's more, it's gonna be a hell of a weekend in London, so I'm pretty excited about it.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 04:59 AM   #38
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
You're right, I was kidding (almost)...even if the columbia halle is not a festival .
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 03:23 PM   #39
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
hey,

have you already checked the prices for the German shows? I was wanting to go to Koln but 36,50 EUR !!?? And then that eventim.de site adds 15,90 EUR for shipping and handling which gives me a total bill of
52,40 EUR for just 1 (one) ticket

I would love to see SY play DDN but for that sum of money I could almost plan a two week holiday !

edit:
here's another booking site if you're german: https://www.muensterland-ticket.de
they sell the tickets for a couple euros cheaper with less extra costs, but they don't seem to accept foreigners....

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 03:43 PM   #40
Spiritual Amnesia
children of satan

Spiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's asses
the show in munich costs 30€.
Spiritual Amnesia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth