Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Happy 4/20, Happy Birthday, Joan Miró
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2006, 04:49 PM   #1
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Happy Birthday, Joan Miró

The Birth of the World
Joan Miró. (Spanish, 1893-1983). The Birth of the World, 1925. Oil on canvas, 8' 2 3/4" x 6' 6 3/4" (250.8 x 200 cm)

According to the first Surrealist manifesto of 1924, "the real functioning of the mind" could be expressed by a "pure psychic automatism," "the absence of any control exercised by reason." Although he was never a card-carrying Surrealist, (thank goodness) Miró was influenced by Surrealist ideas, and said, "Rather than setting out to paint something, I begin painting and as I paint, the picture begins to assert itself...the first stage is free, unconscious." ...but, he added, "The second stage is carefully calculated."
The Birth of the World reflects just this combination of chance and plan. Miró primed the canvas unevenly, so that paint would here sit on the surface, there soak into it. His methods of applying paint allowed varying degrees of control: pouring, brushing, flinging, spreading with a rag. The biomorphic and geometric elements, meanwhile, he drew deliberately, working them out in a preparatory drawing.
Miró's works in this vein suggest something both familiar and unidentifiable, yet even at his most ethereal, Miró never loses touch with the real world: we see a bird, or a kite; a shooting star, a balloon on a string, or a spermatozoa; a character with a white head. The Birth of the World is the first of many of his works that deal metaphorically with artistic creation through an image of the creation of the universe. In Miró's words, it describes "a sort of genesis."

google's homage from earlier today

atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 04:54 PM   #2
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Saw it on the google page. I've never heard of him...His stuff seems pretty interesting though. I'll check it out.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I noticed the Miro-esque Google logo earlier, it looked nice.

I was properly introduced to him in 1996 when Tate Liverpool held an exhibition called 'Joan Miro - Printmaker' - he's not an absolute favourite of mine, but I like a lot of his stuff.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 07:26 PM   #5
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Great thread, atari.

Miro is definitely one of my favorites. My two favorites of his are Ballerina and Dog Barking at Moon.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 10:41 PM   #6
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Blaze one down.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth