Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page John Fahey
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.07.2008, 09:16 AM   #61
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
since my best friend works at tower records, i often borrow cds to copy to my laptop. today i took a few more fahey.
i am listening to old fashoined love. it is amazing. the old ragtime-ish tunes make me so happy. its way too happy of an album to be fahey... one might be mistaken that he was content in the 70's and not a depressed alchoholic. i guess thats what makes him so brilliant.
i also took railroad I. i have yet to hear it

EDIT: on a unrelated note. since im listening to old fashoined love and it has on it the song that gastr del sol covered, i was thinking about how amazing a band GDS are. i then oopened up allmusic and camaflour was their album of the day

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 09:18 AM   #62
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
See, Gastr Del Sol covered the last song on "Old-Fashioned Love"; that's why I even bothered checking out Fahey. And I'm glad I did, he's fucking brilliant!

And his favorite food was popcorn.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 09:20 AM   #63
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
with lots of butter

Old 08.07.2008, 09:21 AM   #64
fugazifan
invito al cielo

i checked out fahey because i worked at a record store and we had lots of his albms and i was intrigued but never heard them. till i saw on allmusic a few years ago that they put him as one of jim orourkes influences, so then i heard his stuff...

Old 08.07.2008, 09:28 AM   #65
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
There's nothing quite like the sound of a finger picked acoustic guitar.

Old 08.07.2008, 09:33 AM   #66
fugazifan
invito al cielo

i know... even if its picked with a pick (ala sir richard bishop) its still about the best sound in the world

Old 08.07.2008, 10:55 AM   #67
fugazifan
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
Fare Forward Voyagers is the shit.
yes!

Old 09.01.2008, 03:00 PM   #68
fugazifan
invito al cielo

quite possibly the greatest photo ever taken

Old 12.09.2008, 08:17 PM   #69
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Starting work in 2007, Washington D.C. filmmaker Marc Minsker has completed a 30 minute documentary feature on the life of John Fahey entitled "John Fahey: The Legacy of Blind Joe Death." It chronicles his humble beginnings in Takoma Park, Maryland, through his success as a guitarist and record producer in California, and follows him through his dark days in Salem, Oregon. The film has been submitted to the Takoma Park Film Festival. A trailer for the film is currently posted on YouTube. It is due for release in February, 2009.

Old 05.18.2009, 02:34 PM   #70
The Lung
stalker

The Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's asses
Think I missed this thread take off!

Did that doc get released? I remember watching the trailer on youtube.

I was thinking about starting a thread about Basho because I've really gotten into him lately but I'll just dump it here.

I think his first few albums are the best but Twilight Peaks is a really beautiful, chilled record. Not really keen on stuff like Voice of the Eagle where he sings all the time but its pretty interesting... he has such a strange voice sometimes!

Babs and Redwood Ramble are 2 of my most loved songs ever. I figured out most of Redwood Ramble if anybody wants a tab. I'm def gonna work out babs this summer; everybody needs to hear that song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
quite possibly the greatest photo ever taken

haha I bought 2 of those dvds where john teaches you his songs just for moments like that

Teaching Auld Lang Syne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrJQystmyl8
The Lung is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2009, 03:26 PM   #71
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
Another musician, that I am ashamed I did not get into before... Im just really starting to LISTEN to Fahey and love him. Fav album that I have heard so far is Death Chants, Breakdowns and Military Waltzes. I have a lot more to hear though, he has like 40+ releases, right? Next on my list is prob Blind Joe Death.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2009, 03:31 PM   #72
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, he has around exactly 40 releases. I'd say they're all pretty essential.

The Lung, I LOVE Basho as well!!! There's an "american primitive guitar" thread or two around the board later if you search where we try to discuss all this stuff but almost no one replied. Go figure. Thanks for starting this amazing thread so long ago.

Old 05.18.2009, 04:40 PM   #73
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and bread
Say, has anybody heard the John Fahey Trio album? I'm very curious what it sounds like.

This is the musically weakest of all fahey albums by far. going for avant/improv/experimental, but falling on face. other dudes in Trio not so good. Fahey tells some funny stories on it though. i want to hear Three Day Band soon (latest fahey release).

ALL fahey albums are good, i've got almost all of 'em. Double 78 does have some familiar pieces but i forget where they're from, city of refuge maybe, or hard time empty bottle blues?

Jack Rose has inherited the fahey throne in my mind.

Check out: John Fahey: Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick & Sandy Bull: 1969 Still Valenitnes Day. Both Cds on Water Records, both recorded at the same gig! i'd kill...

www.johnfahey.com has tone of cool stuff to read, especially liner notes for each album. original LP w/ intact booklets are hard to find and much coveted by me.

On my living room wall hangs a grave rubbing I made at Fahey's grave in Salem, Oregon

check out some Indian slide guitarists: Debashish Battacharya, Dr. Kamala Shankar, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Sublime Frequencies' "Hindustani Slide Guitar", etc...

The Voice of the Turtle is Heard in Our Land
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2009, 05:09 PM   #74
The Lung
stalker

The Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
On my living room wall hangs a grave rubbing I made at Fahey's grave in Salem, Oregon

Now that is hardcore!

Seen as u mentioned jack rose, wat should I listen to first?

I've got most of Fahey's albums now apart from some compliations, live albums and X-mas albums. I still haven't heard Hitomi yet... is this good? I really like how chilled out Red Cross is and I recently got the Mill Pond re-issue which is awesome.

I've spent alot of time on the fahey website reading the booklets and stuff; its a really good resource. I just bought Vampires and Vultures, but too busy with exams at the moment to read it. I've been meaning to buy how bluegrass destroyed my life for ages.

ASP, cool i'll have a search later but its more your thread than mine! Also thanks for that Peter Lang upload earlier in the thread, I'll give it a listen soon. Do you like Leo Kottke? I only have 6 and 12 string but theres some really nice songs on it
Old 05.18.2009, 08:55 PM   #75
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I'd get kensington blues by rose. That's my favorite AND the most fahey-like.. he often covers fahey, too.

Anyone have fahey's "memphis swamp jam"?

I personally love Hitomi. That's the first album I ever listened to ecstasy. Haha. But uh... of course, you know, it's not the typical "Drive around the countryside with the wind blowing in your face in the summer time" Fahey album... it's ... sitting, depressed, in a cold room.. delayed guitar sounds.. but I love it.

How Bluegrass Destroyed mY Life is an amazing book! Just amazing.

And yeah, I like some Kotke, I like his guitar-solo albums (many of his albums feature vocals or other instruments). He's got some amazing stuff, but I grew bored of him.

Old 05.19.2009, 11:08 AM   #76
The Lung
stalker

So is hitomi in a style similar to red cross? I don't have the swamp jam either, whats that like?
Old 05.19.2009, 11:11 AM   #77
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yes.

and swamp jam is a collab with someone else. I heard one song of it from a various artists comp but -- and i've been looking for a LONG time -- the rest of the songs have never been ripped.

Old 05.25.2009, 01:46 PM   #78
The Lung
stalker

Wanted to post this John Hurt song cos it's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvRxA8gR7bw

Fahey did a cover of it on voice of the turtle which is also amazing especially if its him singing on it
Old 05.31.2009, 12:33 AM   #79
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
the greatest and the best...thanks board for telling me about this fellow...listening to "america" right now with a full blown boner
Old 06.01.2009, 10:32 AM   #80
fugazifan
invito al cielo

at the end of every semester the musicology dept has a student concert (me and a friend are now in charge of organizing them).
last semester i played cement factory in portland

this semster im doing a strange mixture of blind willie johnson's dark was the night cold was the ground with fahey's dalhart texas 1967

lets hope it goes well

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth