Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What Bands Have Friends Turned You Onto?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.23.2007, 09:10 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
A good music friend is not something to be underestimated. You get into great bands you might not have stumbled upon. Im eternally grateful about some of the ones Ive been shown.

I remember hearing the flaming lips yoshimi and not really liking it then a friend showed me their 90s material and i fell in love with it. I love that acid noise pop style, theyve become some of my favorite records now.

Another friend turned me onto melt banana, pink and brown and arab on radar. Hes more of a noise fan and just opened up my eyes to some of the more out there stuff.Also the Oxes, how could i forget about them ! They just blew me away when he showed me them. They need to fucking tour !
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 09:10 PM   #2
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Zero.
Old 07.23.2007, 09:14 PM   #3
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Zero.

Yeah, me too. And if you were catch a earful of what they listen to you would concur. This is not to say its all bad, its just not something that tickles my pickle.

Online friends are something else entirely (quite literally). Yes, the lot of you have expanded my musical pallet, and continue to do so.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 09:18 PM   #5
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Well the start of my adventure into music was when I looked into my brother's music collection ten years ago.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 10:16 PM   #6
total-trash
children of satan

total-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's asses
my bloody valentine
total-trash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 10:27 PM   #7
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
comets on fire
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 11:15 PM   #8
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Guided By Voices

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 11:42 PM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
not that many.

the only bands i never thought i liked until listening to them a bunch with friends were mainly punk (loose definition) bands like screeching weasel (genius pop!), bad religion, and craig's brother (who have to be the best power punk pop band i've ever heard; jesus!). but most of my friends listen to terrible SHIT like against me! and all that garbage, so i stay away.

also, i got stoned a few times last year, which kinda sucked, weed is overrated, just fucking trip you silly ninnies... but anyway, whilst stoned, i heard lots of music that i thought was amazing!! then, i actually heard goblin cock unstoned and went "hmmmmmmmmmmm." though from that time period, i discovered some good stoner and stoner-influenced stuff like kyuss, akimbo, orange goblin, acid king, etc... but man some of that stoner shit's terrible.

but yeah, other than that, i've usually been the one around here who finds new music.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 11:55 PM   #10
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Well the start of my adventure into music was when I looked into my brother's music collection ten years ago.

same here. i started listening to Metallica and Nirvana right as he outgrew them (i was just starting middle school, he was in high school). in eighth/ninth grade, i began looking around his mp3 collection and found Sonic Youth. he also told me about Lightning Bolt, Isis, Sleater-Kinney and tons of other bands.

actual friends, though, that's tougher. let's see.

Pelican (downloaded a few songs, but i just got one of their albums from a different friend today)
Black Flag

there are more, i know there are. but i just can't think of them.
Old 07.24.2007, 12:20 AM   #11
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
My friends turn me onto very little. And if they do turn me onto something, they usually end up turning me off with their overhyping.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2007, 12:23 AM   #12
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
not friends, but people i know, have turned me to antigama, crawlpappy, plastic people of the universe...i can;t think of more, actually.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2007, 12:23 AM   #13
total-trash
children of satan

total-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
My friends turn me onto very little. And if they do turn me onto something, they usually end up turning me off with their overhyping.

yeah that's what usually happens with me. most of my friends don't listen to nearly the same typ e of music as i do anyways, so it's hard for me to get into things they recommend
total-trash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2007, 12:26 AM   #14
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
against me!
Honestly, give them a good listen before you call them SHIT!
Fuck they are so good, dude. They write fucking GOOD songs, not to mention they are amazing with a hook.

I've been turned on to a lot of bands (mind, bands I would probably logically find out about in the future, but I didn't)...

For example; me and my friend were at a record store in North Bay, and we saw some Pavement albums, who I rememebred liking, but never paid much attention to... so we decided to each buy an album, and from then we both grew to love them.
Uuhh, there's a ton of bands that this dude I know got me into (he would put up albums on punksud and stuff, and I loved him for it hahaha now we're kind of friends).
Some examples of bands he got me into:
U.S. Maple (heard them before, but never got into them)
Man Man
Ex Models
31 Knots
Deerhoof (I'd heard them before, too)
Les Georges Leningrad
Erase Errate (used to listen to 'em years ago hehe)
The list goes on and on and on...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2007, 12:28 AM   #15
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ohh scratch that, i've been turned onto a lot of stuff because of my friends at the board.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2007, 12:49 AM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Uh.. oh yeah.. i forgot.. my friend norton got me into harry partch..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2007, 03:38 AM   #17
sarramkrop

Current 93
Nurse With Wound
Nirvana
Sonic Youth
Sol Invictus
Death In June
Throbbing Gristle

Quite a few more but I can't be bothered to list them all.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2007, 06:39 AM   #18
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Honestly, give them a good listen before you call them SHIT!
Fuck they are so good, dude. They write fucking GOOD songs, not to mention they are amazing with a hook.

i'm seeing them with two gallants next 16th and 17th. fuck yeah! they're pretty awesome.

you guys have turned me on to a lot of stuff but offline, nothing really. i do all the reccomending.
Old 07.24.2007, 06:48 AM   #19
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Twenty-five years ago friends at school turned me on to a million and one different cool things: punk, post-punk, industrial, goth, too much else to mention.

Then music magazines turned me on to a million and one more cool things.

And then internet sites, including this place, turned me on to a few more.

I have no offline friends who point me towards good music these days, which is what comes of reaching an age where I spend less time hanging around at the sort of places where cool people hang out. Instaed I hang out here, and I never stop being grateful to a large handful of people on here with whom I swap recommendations.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2007, 06:49 AM   #20
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
"you guys have turned me on to a lot of stuff but offline, nothing really. i do all the reccomending."

you took those words right out of my mouth, schizophrenicroom.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth