Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Musicians that turn you off just because every generic hipster loves them
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2019, 07:40 AM   #81
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
The surge of twee folk vocalists from the early aughts is still wreaking havoc on our culture
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2019, 07:53 AM   #82
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
No offense. I just didn't get it. It was like renaissance? The arrangements were bizarre, even for me. Up and down and all over the place. It made me dizzy.

I liked the simplicity of the first one.
milk eye mender is easier, yeah, it’s the one i return to the most. i listened to it yesterday after posting in fact.)

Ys for me is just... beautiful sound. renaissance music is... somewhat simpler? this is more... out there, hahaha. so strange and beautiful. then again it’s really not singalong material. requires a sitting. maybe headphones. can be a bit of homework?

but i’ve liked prog since infancy, so this sorta fits into that larger universe for me. from here to her harp is not a huge leap: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiA1XBXAE6U

and of course no offense taken. everyone has different tastes, and the freedom to dislike things is essential, and disagreements well handled are both entertaining and instructional

speaking of which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I definitely have a bad reaction to her voice but in her case I can see that she is actually extremely talented and it's an issue of taste on my part. I guess I get why she has fans but I'm not one of them. There's quite a few people on that deal-breaker voice list for me I guess.
Tom Waits, Kate Bush, Bjork, etc. I wouldn't put modest mouse in that league though; just the annoying voice part. Still basically an issue of taste on my part, yes. But without the same level of deference, perhaps.

aaaaah... i get what you mean. timbre & talent are separate things, but both count.

similarly, not a kate bush fan (but i love bjork and like to do tom waits impersonations after a drink or two haaa haaa haa)
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2019, 09:56 AM   #83
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
The surge of twee folk vocalists from the early aughts is still wreaking havoc on our culture

yeah, Devendra is playing again. Look out for Joanna Loathsum, too!
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2019, 10:45 AM   #84
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
I don't like the majority of Arcade Fire's music and I don't quite get why they are as revered as they are. I'm willing to admit that they do some good live-shows and I've even written a positive review of one of their performances based on that alone. They do know how to animate their crowd and certainly know how to play their songs. But that doesn't make me like their studio material. Unbearably facile lyrics that are supposed to be profound and whimsical whilst just coming off as pretentious and cynical; song structures that have absolutely no buildup/progression and are basically just choruses backed up by "oooohs" and "ahhhhs"; unremarkable and at times even annoying vocalists. What's the appeal?

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2019, 11:25 AM   #85
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
I don't dislike bands because generic hipsters like them. But there are a lot of acts said hipsters like that are annoying to me.

I don't see the appeal of Wilco's music. But instead of saying generic hipsters like them, it would be more to the point to say generic Americana hipsters like them. The term "Americana" annoys me as well, But that's a subject for another thread.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2019, 01:39 PM   #86
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am so so so GLAD that no one fucking gives a flying fuck about Joanna newsom and her ilk of twee women-children bullshit anymore. That shit is a fucking nightmare.
Old 07.24.2019, 02:58 PM   #87
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am so so so GLAD that no one fucking gives a flying fuck about Joanna newsom and her ilk of twee women-children bullshit anymore. That shit is a fucking nightmare.
lmfao

i was listening to milk-eyed mender AGAIN just 2 days ago (and liking it, as usual)

don’t worry i won’t play it for you or ask that you give it one more try lol

but yeah i like her weird shit. don’t care if anybody else does. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2019, 08:23 AM   #88
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I hated the twee shit back in the day and now but Joanna Newsom had some good music
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth