Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Preparing for Thurston's ATP..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.25.2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
What records/bands should I familiarize myself with prior to Thurston's big noisy ATP festival in December? I think my ears might need a bit of conditioning before the event... in order to enjoy it fully.

Pretend I'm only going to see Iggy.
Pretend I'm a noise virgin.
Pretend yer experts.

(This is almost entirely hypothetical in my case. I know Stooges, I know SY, I've experienced Merzbow live, I can take it. But what advice should I give to the poor naive fools I'm dragging along with me? I want them to enjoy it.. or, at least, not die bleeding from the ears.)
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2006, 02:26 AM   #2
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Don't familiarise yourself with the Skaters but go and see them anyway. I really liked them live but not too keen on most of their recorded stuff. Expect wailing vocal drone.

Listen to Headress by Sunburned Hand of the Man....

I't might be better, or more exciting at least, to go in blind (not literally) and see some bands. I would recommend seeing the following at all costs:

No Neck Blues Band
Sunburned Hand of the Man
The Skaters
Fursaxa
MV/EE + The Bummer Road.

I'd also guess that:

Nurse WIth Wound
Bardo Pond
Wolf Eyes
Magik Markers
Sun City Girls

Are going to be pretty exciting one way or another but I've never seen that lot live so can't really comment too strongly.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth