Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Fuck it, maybe I should just fly to Brazil.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.21.2011, 01:25 PM   #21
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Aaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
don't act like you haven't tried it, my spanish-speaking friend.

I don't speak spanish and I'm not your friend!

Aaaadrpk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2011, 03:42 PM   #22
canabero
children of satan

canabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard sucka
Quote:
you don't think STP is pop?

STP is two suits in a boardroom, looking at soundscan saying "we need a band that sounds like Pearl Jim vs Nirvana vs Alice and Change. I tell ya, baby, it'd be fab".

pop, my man. pop.

STP were never too famous and are far of being one of my fav. but you're telling shit saying that they were pop ( or mainstream) you can't compare , they could have changed their style when grunge/alt. rock dead ( to the masses) that's the case of Incubus and No Doubt.
And YYY art??? OMG a girl that sing like a teenager and some guys that have basic technique.

www.myspace.com/canabero
canabero is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2011, 10:36 PM   #23
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by canabero
STP were never too famous
Actually (and deplorably), they were pretty massive at one point ('92-'94), thanks to the stupidity of the masses who made their first worthless LP reach #3 in the Billboard chart and their second dung album debut at #1.

Quote:
you're telling shit saying that they were pop ( or mainstream) you can't compare , they could have changed their style when grunge/alt. rock dead ( to the masses)

Designed to sound like the best-sellers at the time, by very definition they were mainstream. And they did change when their brand of mimicry was no longer as lucrative: it's called Velvet Revolver.

Quote:
And YYY art??? OMG a girl that sing like a teenager and some guys that have basic technique.

You could take those same features and use them to describe one of the most exhilarating, innovative, irresistible, sublime and rockin' albums of all time: the unsurpassable Cut. 41 years after the Pop & Pies & Fun manifesto, 36 years after Forest Hills' finest first blew up their amps at a certain Bowery dive, 20 years after "punk broke" and 3 years after SY picked up the "Goodbye Talent" headline hurled at them by the NME and proudly stamped it over the SYR7 cover, it's hugely appalling that some STILL miss the point in a calamitous fashion by citing technique as a sine qua non condition for rock and roll. And as for your reactionary dismissal of "pop", fuckin' A I wants me some pop, junior! From Dusty Springfield to Best Coast, Brenton Wood to Prince, Spector to Blondie, Randy Newman to The Go-Betweens to Jenny Lewis and beyond, the amazing musicarchitecture contained in each glorious minute of the greatest pop songs remains —just like blues changes on one hand and the most daring avant-garde on the other— a fundamental force in art and nature and a paramount reason to just get up in the goddamn morning.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2011, 10:47 PM   #24
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Aaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's asses
Flashback ...

Aaaadrpk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2011, 11:16 PM   #25
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
stone temple pilots are pretty bad, but liking them isn't anywhere near as bad as not liking serge gainsbourg
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2011, 11:48 PM   #26
canabero
children of satan

canabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Designed to sound like the best-sellers at the time, by very definition they were mainstream. And they did change when their brand of mimicry was no longer as lucrative: it's called Velvet Revolver.

why people have to relate STP whit Velvet Revolver? De Leo brothers have a big influence in the band, and Velvet Revolver was a proyect that only included Weiland. no sense

Quote:

You could take those same features and use them to describe one of the most exhilarating, innovative, irresistible, sublime and rockin' albums of all time: the unsurpassable Cut.

sorry my ignorance but WTF is that? band name?

www.myspace.com/canabero
canabero is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2011, 12:11 AM   #27
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i suspect he means "cut" as in the slits album

honestly bringing up the slits because someone dissed yeah yeah yeahs would just be sad

one band is mega-genius and the other sucks
Old 10.23.2011, 01:39 AM   #28
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, STP never got that famous and definitely aren't pop. here's proof:

Old 10.23.2011, 05:33 AM   #29
Thin_icE
bad moon rising

Thin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's asses
hmmm...yeah, I misunderstood that one. Fuck STP, that's all. Good night.
Thin_icE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2011, 07:33 PM   #30
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
stone temple pilots are pretty bad, but liking them isn't anywhere near as bad as not liking serge gainsbourg

Frank Zappa, Serge Gainsbourg, Scott Walker, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead - none of them are going anywhere near my playlist anytime soon.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 10.23.2011, 07:34 PM   #31
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
i suspect he means "cut" as in the slits album

honestly bringing up the slits because someone dissed yeah yeah yeahs would just be sad

one band is mega-genius and the other sucks

I did not directly compare the two bands, certainly not in the pedestrian way you suggest. I brought The Slits up in order to convey the absurdity of characterizing elements like "teenage vocals" and lack of conventional musical proficiency as dismal flaws when they can indeed be applied to a masterpiece. If in lieu of lazily misreading my words you had responded judiciously —at the very least saying "Whoa, you did not just compare The Slits to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, did you?"— we could have for once actually had a goddamn conversation going in this fucking place instead of this permanently frustrating horseshit climate where almost everyone is constantly flying off the handle at the slightest divergent opinion - which, by the way, is seldom expressed rationally, with thought-provoking fundaments, with enough lucid weight to merit being posted in the first place. "BWAARRGHH RATHER RIPPED SUCKED! THEY DON'T DO WHAT I WANT THEM TO DO! BWWAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHH!!". A real charming operation, this board.

Then again, it's my fault anyway for breaking my own Do Not Engage commandment. I now go back to my natural bittorrent announcements/bootlegs sharing/etc. habitat...

Old 10.24.2011, 06:15 AM   #32
maropi
bad moon rising

maropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's asses
I just landed here to read how the people was freaking out about flying to Brazil. And I've found people discussing about not flying pilots. Go figure.
maropi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2011, 01:31 PM   #33
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaaadrpk
I don't speak spanish and I'm not your friend!
¡el ó el!

do you know that liars go to HELL??¿?
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2011, 12:19 AM   #34
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I did not directly compare the two bands, certainly not in the pedestrian way you suggest. I brought The Slits up in order to convey the absurdity of characterizing elements like "teenage vocals" and lack of conventional musical proficiency as dismal flaws when they can indeed be applied to a masterpiece. If in lieu of lazily misreading my words you had responded judiciously —at the very least saying "Whoa, you did not just compare The Slits to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, did you?"— we could have for once actually had a goddamn conversation going in this fucking place instead of this permanently frustrating horseshit climate where almost everyone is constantly flying off the handle at the slightest divergent opinion - which, by the way, is seldom expressed rationally, with thought-provoking fundaments, with enough lucid weight to merit being posted in the first place. "BWAARRGHH RATHER RIPPED SUCKED! THEY DON'T DO WHAT I WANT THEM TO DO! BWWAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHH!!". A real charming operation, this board.

Then again, it's my fault anyway for breaking my own Do Not Engage commandment. I now go back to my natural bittorrent announcements/bootlegs sharing/etc. habitat...

it seems like you know the difference being bringing things up and comparing them, so show me when i wrote that you compared them huh? i myself compared them ffs
Old 10.25.2011, 12:15 PM   #35
forgetmeknots
empty page

forgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
trust me. don't do it.

the eat white people there.

srsly

That's really dumb. Brazil - my country - is the country with the biggest racial diversity you will ever find, due to so many waves of immigration throughout the years. Unfortunately, prejudice here is still directed towards black people, as we have a very sad history of slavery. That is a sensitive issue, not some kind of a joke.
forgetmeknots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2011, 12:17 PM   #36
forgetmeknots
empty page

forgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
don't act like you haven't tried it, my spanish-speaking friend.

SPANISH? Are you dumb for real? We speak Portuguese in Brazil. And a big percentage of the population speaks more than one language (English, French, etc.). Is that the case where you come from? I guess not.
Old 10.25.2011, 12:18 PM   #37
forgetmeknots
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrystumbaugh
I figure if I sell my record collection, I'll get enough scratch to fly to Sao Paulo on November 14...... could be my last chance to see SY......

I'll be there. Yay!
Old 10.25.2011, 12:53 PM   #38
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I hear Portuguese is a dead language, like Latin...or Ebonics.

et tu, jive turkey?

next up:

Portuguese - A Language Lacking Both Culture and Style or Why Sonic Youth Should Avoid the Jungle (a 10 part mini-series narrated by Yrs Truly)
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2011, 01:49 PM   #39
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Yeah, STP never got that famous and definitely aren't pop. here's proof:

How can you not say that's not pop. Just look at how gay they look.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2011, 01:52 PM   #40
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetmeknots
That's really dumb. Brazil - my country - is the country with the biggest racial diversity you will ever find, due to so many waves of immigration throughout the years. Unfortunately, prejudice here is still directed towards black people, as we have a very sad history of slavery. That is a sensitive issue, not some kind of a joke.

Classic but true:

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth