Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.10.2016, 01:50 PM   #47821
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I've avoided the jpop for a bit, revisiting some SY, BLonde Redhead, Lightning Bolt and some Fahey too...

Then I heard this song. I found this one by accident listening to a Miharu Koshi playlist. Needless to say...I was pretty floored by this....especially after seeing that cover.

and now after seeing Perfume will be in Chicago this summer...I'm back on that Perfume trip.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2016, 02:56 PM   #47822
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I've avoided the jpop for a bit, revisiting some SY, BLonde Redhead, Lightning Bolt and some Fahey too...

Then I heard this song. I found this one by accident listening to a Miharu Koshi playlist. Needless to say...I was pretty floored by this....especially after seeing that cover.

Wow! What an amazing song! Is this what I’ve been missing out on by pretending Jpop isn’t an actual thing?! I’m seriously shocked right now!

Thanks for sharing. This should go in the best new/most anticipated thread. I love this!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2016, 03:06 PM   #47823
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Well, now that that revelatory interruption had passed, I'm back to Kendrick:

I'm now able to listen to this album all the way through and enjoy the duck out of it. When I'm pressed for time I skip "for free" and "u" and "for sale" and some of the incidental music between songs, but if I have the time I actually prefer listening to it as a whole even though I find a few of those filler tracks absolutely painful.... but the album's a story and the effect comes through best when you listen to the entire thing.

I still can't believe this was the biggest rap album of last year. It's SO out there.
Old 03.10.2016, 03:26 PM   #47824
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wow! What an amazing song! Is this what I’ve been missing out on by pretending Jpop isn’t an actual thing?! I’m seriously shocked right now!

Thanks for sharing. This should go in the best new/most anticipated thread. I love this!

It's an old song (that's why I don't really go in that thread). Unfortunately jpop now is getting weirder and overhyped(I basically only listen to the stuff Yasutaka Nakata produces, he's a genius). Sometimes it reminds me of chipmunks on speed. Old jpop though is pretty badass. Jun Togawa, Miharu Koshi, and now this Chiemi girl. and if you wanna go older...Chiyo Okumura
Old 03.10.2016, 03:47 PM   #47825
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
It's an old song (that's why I don't really go in that thread). Unfortunately jpop now is getting weirder and overhyped(I basically only listen to the stuff Yasutaka Nakata produces, he's a genius). Sometimes it reminds me of chipmunks on speed. Old jpop though is pretty badass. Jun Togawa, Miharu Koshi, and now this Chiemi girl. and if you wanna go older...Chiyo Okumura

Thanks, I guess it's about time for me to look into the genre. I know Perfume of course, but I've never entirely sure what genre they fall into. I tend to get into artists first, scenes and genres later, after I find trends and connections between the artists I like.
Old 03.10.2016, 03:53 PM   #47826
Severian
invito al cielo

This is what's playing right now. Fucking KidKanevil, man. Why the hell doesn't this guy get more attention? My Little Ghost was the second or third best album of 2014 (at least) but I never run into anyone who's into him and I've never seen his albums for sale in an actual physical store. Can't wait to see what he does next.

KidKanevil feat. Phasma - "Inakunaru"

Incredible song.
Old 03.10.2016, 04:07 PM   #47827
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
I tend to get into artists first, scenes and genres later, after I find trends and connections between the artists I like.

I'm sort of the same way. Before I started with jpop, I was into kpop because of SNSD(Girls' Generation). But interest quickly ended because of the heavy influence of western music(mainly hip hop). Nothing against hip-hop, but that's all everyone was doing and it wasn't long after that SNSD would follow. So I fell off the boat a little after Perfume caught my ears. During that I was listening to more jpop, but nothing resembled anything close to what Perfume and Nakata were doing. Nakata is special because he goes beyond the 'cute' aesthetic(except for Kyary, but that's another story). What he tries to do is set a theme or scenario and makes you feel something more than just the beats. I'm not good at explaining things, and I feel I can't do him justice but his music is unlike any other in the Japanese scene as far as I know.
Old 03.10.2016, 04:11 PM   #47828
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
This is what's playing right now. Fucking KidKanevil, man. Why the hell doesn't this guy get more attention? My Little Ghost was the second or third best album of 2014 (at least) but I never run into anyone who's into him and I've never seen his albums for sale in an actual physical store. Can't wait to see what he does next.

KidKanevil feat. Phasma - "Inakunaru"

Incredible song.

damn dood. I diiiig.
Old 03.10.2016, 07:42 PM   #47829
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
damn dood. I diiiig.

YES!

Someone finally fucking responded to one of my KidKanevil bumps!

You dig it? That's awesome! If you search YouTube you can listen to the entire My Little Ghost album. If you like it, tell me. Bevause I've had shit luck getting people to check out that album. It's a goddamn masterpiece, and was second only to SYRO (and maybe, maybe Bécs... though probably not) for 2014.

Poor guy get so little buzz that I actually got an email from Project Mooncircle (the label that released it) thanking me for my gushing review of the album that I posted on my now half dead blog and Twitter feed.
Old 03.11.2016, 08:15 PM   #47830
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2016, 02:11 PM   #47831
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quick. Someone give me their Unwound top 5 tracks.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2016, 03:39 PM   #47832
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

I got this.

"Off This Century"
"October All Over"
"Demolished"
"The world is flat"
"Sonata for loudspeakers"
"Lifetime Achievement Award"
"Arboretum"

Just the first five (plus two) that came to mind, not necessarily my favorites of all time, but all fucking awesome. More where that came from.
Old 03.14.2016, 03:43 PM   #47833
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I wish I could. I own everything by Unwound, and love most of it deeply, but I do not know song titles. I play full LP's when it comes to Unwound......

but Corpse Pose is one of my alltime faves
Old 03.14.2016, 03:56 PM   #47834
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Rob.

Here's a killer vid of someone from the band (I guess) talking about "Corpse Pose"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSeRjoolN2A

7 isn't 5, Sev. Neg repped. In fact, I created a bunch of fake accounts just to neg rep you some more. Then I blocked you forever. I want to turn a new page in my life and never deal with your miscounting ever again.
Old 03.14.2016, 10:04 PM   #47835
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I wish I could. I own everything by Unwound, and love most of it deeply, but I do not know song titles. I play full LP's when it comes to Unwound......

but Corpse Pose is one of my alltime faves

Something else we have in common, apparently. Unwound. One of my favorite bands ever.
Old 03.14.2016, 10:05 PM   #47836
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Thanks Rob.

Here's a killer vid of someone from the band (I guess) talking about "Corpse Pose"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSeRjoolN2A

7 isn't 5, Sev. Neg repped. In fact, I created a bunch of fake accounts just to neg rep you some more. Then I blocked you forever. I want to turn a new page in my life and never deal with your miscounting ever again.

I counted correctly. 5+2 is what is said. Also, you're welcome.
Old 03.15.2016, 08:43 AM   #47837
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
I counted correctly. 5+2 is what is said. Also, you're welcome.

I can't read what you wrote because I blocked you. I assume it was rude, so I neg repped you again. But 5 is contained within 7, so I guess you're right in a way. I apologize. Thanks.
---
Actually, listening to them yesterday, I realized the band I've been in for two weeks is too tame and unadventurous, and I might quit. We're not bad at all, but I don't think over a decade from now anyone on earth will ask about our top 5. Interesting how just a dash on Unwound led me to this conclusion. "Aim higher evollove," I said to myself.
Old 03.15.2016, 10:55 AM   #47838
evollove
invito al cielo

"October All Over" for the win, I say.

Next: Polvo

"Fast Canoe" and then four live versions of "Fast Canoe" is my current list.
Old 03.15.2016, 11:58 AM   #47839
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Fractured (Like Chandeliers)
Shiksa
My Kimono
Can I Ride?
Tragic Carpet Ride

I love Polvo.. hard to pick
Old 03.15.2016, 12:05 PM   #47840
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I can't read what you wrote because I blocked you. I assume it was rude, so I neg repped you again. But 5 is contained within 7, so I guess you're right in a way. I apologize. Thanks.
---
Actually, listening to them yesterday, I realized the band I've been in for two weeks is too tame and unadventurous, and I might quit. We're not bad at all, but I don't think over a decade from now anyone on earth will ask about our top 5. Interesting how just a dash on Unwound led me to this conclusion. "Aim higher evollove," I said to myself.

You haven't neg repped me once you silly son of a bitch.

Are you serious about Unwound being tame and unadventurous? If that's what you're trying to get out of them, just listen to Leaves Turn Inside You from start to finish. A lot of their material is pretty straight-forward (not really, but kind of... in a Fugazi kind of way...) post-hardcore. But Leaves Turn Inside You is definitive. Hard to think of a more adventurous record in the greater genre.

But of course nobody's going to be asking for your top 5 Unwound songs in ten years. Not unless you're hanging out with a bunch of post-punk and hardcore fans, or Sonic Youth fans. They're not Nirvana. Never going to have their own issue of Rolling Stone. Probably never even going to have their own documentary on Pitchfork.

People will probably be asking for your favorite National songs. So maybe you should go listen to something really lame and basic like the National?
1892229223422382238923902391 2392 239323942395240224422492 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth