Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Steve Albini is the nicest guy!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.13.2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Shellac was amazing. AMAZING!!!

I saw them this saturday here in Houston. They fucking blew me away. My friend cavazos was actually giggling like a litle schoolgirl!!!! It was a great fucking show.

By the way, I ran into DEADBILLY and MOUTHBREATHER at the show! They say hello. I will see them again at the sonic youth show in two weeks.

I did not bring my camera so I got no pictures or shit. sorry but I did get to talk to steve when purchasing a t-shirt and told him thanks for bringing shellac to houston and it was kick-ass.

i had no idea, NO IDEA, that so many GORGEOUSLY HOT, beautiful, ridiculously stunning brunnette ladies loved shellac.
NO CLUE!

there wree some ladies there that just blew me away, so gorgous and dancing the entire time to shellac like they wanted to get it on to the thythm of todd trainer. it was a beautiful thing.

shellac!!!
Old 06.13.2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
i heard rumours that Shellac are coming to Australia this year but unfortunately I probably just made that up in my head.
Old 06.13.2006, 09:00 AM   #3
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Shellac was amazing. AMAZING!!!

I saw them this saturday here in Houston. They fucking blew me away. My friend cavazos was actually giggling like a litle schoolgirl!!!! It was a great fucking show.

By the way, I ran into DEADBILLY and MOUTHBREATHER at the show! They say hello. I will see them again at the sonic youth show in two weeks.

I did not bring my camera so I got no pictures or shit. sorry but I did get to talk to steve when purchasing a t-shirt and told him thanks for bringing shellac to houston and it was kick-ass.

i had no idea, NO IDEA, that so many GORGEOUSLY HOT, beautiful, ridiculously stunning brunnette ladies loved shellac.
NO CLUE!

there wree some ladies there that just blew me away, so gorgous and dancing the entire time to shellac like they wanted to get it on to the thythm of todd trainer. it was a beautiful thing.

shellac!!!
No!No!No! he's a piece of excreta and an idiot and i hope he will die miserably in a kitchen fire.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 09:07 AM   #4
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
But if Electrelane say he's a nice guy i'll go along with that.Incidentally.....

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 10:05 AM   #5
elix it
bad moon rising

elix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asses

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvan01/...7594162167224/

This guy takes good pictures. Once again, he has not failed.
elix it is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Went to ATP when Shellac curated. For 3 days running I got out of bed about noon, had breakfast & then went to see Shellac play live. 3 days running, starting off the day watching the best live band ever! And they're so FUNNY!
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 10:30 AM   #7
elix it
bad moon rising

elix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asses
Albini was talking about cum and big cocks. After the show, Weston let this girl play his bass. Todd allowed around 30 people to get on his drum set and play (my friend being one of them). He was drunk and sucked... it was funny.

Albini is a nice guy... they all are. After the show, I talked to Todd Trainer for around 10 minutes. Class act. He told me what the name of their new album was going to be...

Great show!
elix it is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Richard Pryor on Fire
100%

Richard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's asses
Can I get some Shellac tour dates I can't find them anywhere, I've been looking even before this post.

http://pissingaway.blogspot.com/
Richard Pryor on Fire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
there are no "tour" dates. Shellac plays whenever and wherever they feel like it. They played outside the USA just a few days before heading to Texas. who knows where ethey will end up next?

Here is the write-up in the local HOUSTON PRESS

"This is the first time we will have ever played in Texas," enthuses Shellac vocalist and guitarist Steve Albini over the phone from Electrical Audio studios in Chicago. "We've always wanted to play there, we've just never been able to organize it in a way that made sense." For Shellac, one of the most venerable independent rock bands in existence, making sense is what it's all about. "To be honest, our records and our touring are not really correlated," he continues. "It's been about five or six years since our last record. We play shows when we feel like we can play shows that are interesting, and we do a record when we have material for a record; we don't really try to coordinate them too much. We have finished a new record, which should be out sometime by the end of the year. The nice thing is, we're not trying to promote our band in a conventional sense. We figure there's a certain number of people who will be into our band, and those people will probably come to the show no matter when it is. And if we're content with that number, then it sorta doesn't matter when we tour."
Albini, a well-known figure in the indie rock world ever since forming the notorious Big Black in the early '80s, is probably even better known for having been the engineer behind such hugely influential albums as the Pixies' Surfer Rosa and Nirvana's In Utero. His day job of recording both established and fledgling bands at Electrical has allowed for an unusual career focus for Shellac, characterized by an easygoing but uncompromising spirit that extends from their touring and recording habits to the way the live shows are structured.
"What we play live is generally the songs that we're most interested in at the moment, and that's always a mixture of old songs and new songs," he explains. "We don't have a fixed set that we play; we try to improvise the set list while we're playing. Whatever seems like a good idea at the time, that's what we play. What's nice about that is we never really feel like we're frustrated by the choice of material -- we could literally play any song that we wanted to at any time." Since its 1993 debut, Shellac has methodically crystallized its own form of sonic hypertension: The band's occasionally monolithic, always harsh guitar-bass-drum patterns show a marked propensity to tighten to the point of strangulation rather than release in any sort of catharsis. Live, the guys are peerlessly entertaining, combining military musical precision with slow-build vocal freakouts, all executed with an obvious, unforced camaraderie between Albini, rock-solid bass player Bob Weston and suspiciously simian, intimidatingly excellent drummer Todd Trainer. As far as what the new, unreleased material will sound like, Albini is typically blunt: "We don't really have an agenda for it. We have our tastes and we pursue them. If you're unfamiliar with our band, then I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you go and buy our record, because that sort of implies that your tastes and our tastes don't overlap. If you are familiar with our band, you probably already know whether or not you'll wanna buy this record."
Old 06.13.2006, 12:20 PM   #10
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
yes they are one of my favorite bands!
they used different amps in Italy a week ago. basically with big spks though.
Old 06.13.2006, 08:09 PM   #11
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Glad you had fun.
Shellac is one of the few bands I REALLY want to see. They're just amazing and from the live boots I've heard, they seem like a very good live band.
Steve tell any jokes?
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 08:26 PM   #12
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them in 97 at 9:30 in the morning at the Entry in Minneapolis. Cartoons opened the show on a projection screen. They had poptarts and coffee laid out on a table.

Last time I saw Shellac was one of the funniest shows I'd ever seen. I don't remember anything specifically, they were just funny - especially Todd. He's just funny to watch. I see him around town now and then (he lives in Minneapolis) and I want to talk to him, but I can't think of anything to say.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 10:51 PM   #13
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I respect Albini as a musician and recording technician. But I've heard quite a bit about what a total asshole he can be.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth