Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page How do you make noise?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.31.2006, 10:22 PM   #1
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
I was just wondering how you, the fans of sonic youth, made noise in your music. It could be feedback or anything else. I just want some unique sounds to experiment with in my guitar playing.

Also, can anyone help explain to me a way to feedback without it getting too terribly out of hand and screechy? Something like Kotton Krown, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2006, 10:46 PM   #2
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
smash yr fucking guitar into the floor.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2006, 10:50 PM   #3
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
cool buzzing sound: grab a (working) tv remote, push a button, and aim it at the pickups. (close to the pickups too)

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
for starters, turn the fucking amp on.
Old 11.01.2006, 12:30 AM   #5
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
Buy a shit, cheap guitar, cut out two of the pickups, shove metal bars on the pick ups and on the fret bars but under the strings, hit the strings with pieces of metal, buy a guitar tuner that has a small microphone in, plus the lead into the ''output'' of the guitar tuner and swing around in a ritualistic manner, once you have achieved any level of feedback use a slow phaser effect to alternate (myogenically) the pitch and tone of the feedback.

Buy shitty teddy toys with little buzzer speakers in, perform surgery on the teddy toy to remove all elements of sound device, (wires, batter, speaker, any pressure pads), and play the sound device next to guitar pickups. If the battery is shit and runs out, the chances are that the speaker is a piezo piece, which means it transforms vibratrions into electrical signals and electrical signals into vibrations. With this piezo piece you can solder it to a broken lead, and you will have made a Contact Mic!

Contact mics sound good scraped along guitar string with distortion/delay, and also gripping the contact mic in your mouth and screaming, growling, mumbling junkie mutters... which all get amplified/distorted/sampled/reincarnated/reborn. Make your own tuning on a shit guitar, I made one called "Rory's Special Brew". Find a tuning that really suits your jamming style and goes with your creative urges. Society is a hole. Place the pick over the 6th (lowest) string, under the 5th, over the 4th, and tap strings with metal/solid object to produce bell toll. Use delay, reverb, anything to alter its genetic make-up.
Now, open your eyes and scream, "WHY???"
Old 11.01.2006, 12:36 AM   #6
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
with my eyeball

fafadsfasdfasdfsdaf asdfasdf asdfasd fasd fasdf asd fasd fasd f asdf asdf asd fasd f asdf asdf asd fas fas f asdf asd fasd dfsfaf fssada f
Old 11.01.2006, 01:07 AM   #7
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
with my eyeball

fafadsfasdfasdfsdaf asdfasdf asdfasd fasd fasdf asd fasd fasd f asdf asdf asd fasd f asdf asdf asd fas fas f asdf asd fasd dfsfaf fssada f

golden child is left handed.
Old 11.01.2006, 08:59 AM   #8
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
dont use a guitar. milk bottles smashing and effected as percussion for starters...........
Old 11.01.2006, 09:24 AM   #9
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
if you have to ask, you probly dont have the imagination to make anything that good. maybe noise isnt the thing you should be trying to do.
the best music is about originality, not some vain attempt to sound like your idols.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 03:09 PM   #10
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
no, my right hand just has better things to do.
Old 11.01.2006, 03:49 PM   #11
Rovetu
little trouble girl

Rovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to behold
buy pink flyd live at pompeii....there you can see taht gilmour make great noises. You can try using delays, reverbs, flangers, etc...

If you want just natural feedback put your amp on the max master volume and get near the amp with the guitar w distortion

powerful feedback = bigmuff
Old 11.01.2006, 03:56 PM   #12
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
anything that runs off of a DC current [put it next to your pickups]

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 04:32 PM   #13
soapbars
the destroyed room

soapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's asses
asking how to make nosie is like asking how to fuck,

theres an element of that special something that "magic", something that cant be taught, especially through words

yeah,
soapbars is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 04:41 PM   #14
Rovetu
little trouble girl

Rovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to beholdRovetu is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbars

theres an element of that special something that "magic", something that cant be taught, especially through words

yeah,

Good one
Old 11.01.2006, 04:45 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Dan Speaks
I was just wondering how you, the fans of sonic youth, made noise in your music. It could be feedback or anything else. I just want some unique sounds to experiment with in my guitar playing.

Also, can anyone help explain to me a way to feedback without it getting too terribly out of hand and screechy? Something like Kotton Krown, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback is like the Incarnation and the Virgin Birth, it is a fucking MYSTERY. There are plenty of art forms, techniques, methods, traditions, etc, but all of these come from a sort of "common sense" approach. Just pick up yr guitar, plug it into some things, turn the gain up on your amp, and just fucking go with it.

My only advice:

reverb, delay, highgain+lowvolume,tap the neck,etc.

But remember, the main reason there is no real sure technique, is because all of these things are dependent on the geometry of your playing (how you strike the notes, how you touch the strings, the set up of your guitar, the position of your amp, the dynamics of the room, where you are standing in the room, where you are standing within the earth's electro-magnetic field, etc).... What works for you will work for you, and probably only that particular time.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 04:53 PM   #16
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Dan Speaks

Thanks in advance.

Oh wait.. I just read this through again, and noticed that you say "unique" "experiment." You can't experiment/be unique when yr just being told what to do/doing what others have done. Find yr own techniques and RUN with 'em!

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 04:57 PM   #17
Rovetu
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Oh wait.. I just read this through again, and noticed that you say "unique" "experiment." You can't experiment/be unique when yr just being told what to do/doing what others have done. Find yr own techniques and RUN with 'em!

maybe you can experiment with your guitar to create unique sounds (just changing the order of the phrase)
Old 11.01.2006, 05:07 PM   #18
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbars

yeah,

My thoughts exactly...
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 05:15 PM   #19
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
Open your mouth and go "WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE!" etc. etc.
Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 06:20 PM   #20
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
umm, all the way home ?
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth