Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Folk Music Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.04.2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think we've had a multi purpose folk thread, so now we do.

The first purpose of this thread is to recommend me some folk of the wyrd/psych variety.
I like things like Fursaxa, Spires That in The Sunset Rise, The Tower Recordings or this real media player clip, i.e. strange, mysterious, very psychedelic, and primitive sounding.

What I'd like to know is if there's old stuff that these people are particularly drawing from, bearing in mind that that link i posted is to an acid mothers temple song and how much AMT wear their influences on there sleeve, I'd say their must be old stuff like this, and I know there is a vast quantity of 60s & 70s psych folk, but it encompasses so many varieties of folk that i have no idea where to go to next after having checked out the obvious stuff like fairport convention, pentangle, john fahey, pearls before swine, incredible string band, etc, besides as much as i love those things, i want something weirder.
If batreleaser comes into this thread and writes a list of every folk music thing he's ever heard and says they're all his favourites (or some equivalent) it means he's gay.
And if someone comes in to this thread and says that things like hiphop and death metal are the true folk musics of the modern day then that means they admit that they like to give their dad blowjobs.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 07:59 AM   #2
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
mmm interesting. dunno about the influences but i really dig Spires...
Eerie muzak.
completely disconnected.
Old 10.04.2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Death Vessel are one of the new interesting acts on the scene lately. Willy Mason has been making some good folk music, though his last album was really disappointing. M. Ward's hands are possessed by the spirit of Fahey, I'm sure of it. I could go on and on about M. Ward all day though..

howe gelb blah blah

As far as older folk influences go I have no idea. Sometimes you don't really need to listen to a lot of folk to make folk- M. Ward's favourite band is Sonic Youth.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 08:05 AM   #4
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I wanted to point you towards the unbroken circle website, but it seems to have disappeared, which is strange because it used to turn up every time that I googled anything even remotely folky.

Try this though: http://www.terrascope.co.uk/Features...0interview.htm
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I wanted to point you towards the unbroken circle website, but it seems to have disappeared.

yeah i was looking for it this morning too, i found out the guy who ran it took it down because it kept on getting attacked my hackers and he couldn't be arsed to deal with them anymore
Old 10.04.2008, 08:19 AM   #6
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe try: http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de...olk/index.html

I quite enjoy Mike Harding's folk show on Radio 2 on Wednesday evenings, but it's very rarely all that wyrd: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/harding/index.shtml

It's a shame about unbroken circle. The same guy's download site has disappeared too. He curated the John Barleycorn Revisited compilation on Coldspring though:

VA - 'John Barleycorn Reborn' 2 x CD (Cold Spring CSR84CD)

A discovery of folk music from dark Britannica. 'John Barleycorn Reborn' explores seasonal birth, death and rebirth on this double CD. This compilation explores the darker side of British folk music, evoking the mystery of our ancient past and peoples, the strangeness of their beliefs, arcane traditions and the remnants of this carried down the centuries as folklore. The set has an extended booklet with articles, essays and explorations of the album's concept. Curated by Mark Coyle (Woven Wheat Whispers). Features 33 artists:

CD1: Alphane Moon, Andrew King, Charlotte Greig & Johan Asherton, Damh The Bard, English Heretic, Far Black Furlong, Mary Jane, Pumajaw, Peter Ulrich (Dead Can Dance), Sharron Kraus, Sieben, Sol Invictus, The Horses Of The Gods, The Owl Service, The Story (Tom & Martin Welham / Forest), The Triple Tree (Tony Wakeford / Andrew King).

CD2: Clive Powell, Doug Peters, Drohne, Electronic Voice Phenomena, Martyn Bates (Eyeless In Gaza), Quickthorn, Sand Snowman, Stormcrow, The A Lords, The Anvil, The Kitchen Cynics, The Purple Minds Of Lazeron, The Straw Bear Band, Tinkerscuss, Venereum Arvum, While Angels Watch, Xenis Emputae Travelling Band.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Awesome, thanks.

I found this this morning, not the same league as the unbroken circle, but better than nothing.
http://psychedelicfolk.homestead.com...delicfolk.html
Old 10.04.2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's a bit of a difficult one, because [if you'll excuse the prickery] 'true' foik music isn't really about instrumentality or jamming, so the psychedelic bit is tricky.

Having said that, you want to get a bit of Munir Bashir in your lug-holes. Or possible some Qawwli [sp?]. Both a bit on the long dribbly psychedlic side of things, but probably not what you're after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It's a bit of a difficult one, because [if you'll excuse the prickery] 'true' foik music isn't really about instrumentality or jamming, so the psychedelic bit is tricky.

Having said that, you want to get a bit of Munir Bashir in your lug-holes. Or possible some Qawwli [sp?]. Both a bit on the long dribbly psychedlic side of things, but probably not what you're after.

probably not in this specific instance, but i've been meaning to check out munir bashir for a while, will take note of the other thing that may be spelt incorrectly.

anyway, we've already got one world music thread.
Old 10.04.2008, 11:23 AM   #10
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
john fahey
bert jansch
anne briggs
pelt/jack rose
flying canyon
warmer milks (on the recods when theyre not making noise)
balkan folk (bulgaria's dan milev and croatia's peter brosso are some of my favorites)
fairport convention
incredible string band
early tyrannasaurus rex
current 93
the fugs

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 04:19 PM   #11
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I like making lists. It's fun when I'm bored. If that makes me gay, than so be it.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 07:19 PM   #12
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Probably heard of all of these people before but:
Wooden Wand
Robbie Basho
Eyes And Arms Of Smoke
Prompiquity
Van Dyke Parks
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 07:20 PM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
robbie basho is BY FAR my favorite artist that is usually considered "folk".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 07:27 PM   #14
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Simon Finn, Joanna Newsom, Juana Molina, Vashti Bunyan, Marissa Nadler... I like female folk singers hah.

Also love folk guitarists like Fahey of course.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 07:30 PM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not listing Fahey because he really doesn't sound like folk music and he hated folk music and says he should not be included with them at all. Even though obviously he has some stylistic similarities to folk music, I felt that mentioning Robbie Basho made more sense, because he has the American Primitive Guitar sound of Fahey mixed with some more classical folk singing and songwriting.

Old 10.04.2008, 07:31 PM   #16
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
True... I'd still put him under 'folk' though if I had to generalise.
Old 10.04.2008, 07:32 PM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, if we're reeeeeeeeally generalizing then, everyone should check out Cerberus Shoal. Easily the best "folk" band of any type.

Old 10.04.2008, 07:36 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

http://www.last.fm/music/Cerberus+Shoal

Lots of free tracks (though their music is very easy to find on soulseek). Listen to SOLE OF FOOT MAN!

Chaiming the Knobblesome, Land We All Believe In, split with Alvarius B, and Mr. Boy Dog are some of my favorite albums ever.

Old 10.04.2008, 07:40 PM   #19
Derek
invito al cielo

Yum!

I'm downloading this stuff off soulseek...
Old 10.04.2008, 07:45 PM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

you'll enjoy.

They've got a really kayo dot-ish feel to some of it actually, really epic and proggy stuff at times.

But then they've got some really really straight-ahead folky abstract songs too..

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth