Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page drummers you don't like
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.16.2008, 10:37 AM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This might actually be kind of difficult, because it's almost impossible to find shitty drummers in most major-label (or big-indie-label) bands. Out of all the world's shitty bands, the drummer is usually the most acceptable and competent one. Even bands that usually suck like KoRn and SlipKnot have AMAZING drummers.... Really, except for some old shittily-produced black metal tape from decades ago where the guy speeds up a bit every now and then... not to mention tons of shitty bands recording one time and putting their first demo on myspace (which they probably made before they wrote any songs)... it's probably going to be difficult to find drummers who, in all actuality, suck. If you can think of any, be my guest, because I want to hear shitty drummers!

But yeah, that probably wouldn't warrant many replies, let's also talk about drummers whose styles you just don't like.. drummers that clash with the bands they're in or just have a sound that irritates you or whatever... Also, if it's drummers who technically suck (like Ikue Mori when she was in DNA) but you like their style, you don't have to list them. Just drummers you think are particularly bad in one way or another.

Okay, I'll start..
[I didn't bother looking up names for anyone]

DRUMMERS WHO SUCK:
The guy who played drums in the Units - The Units were this awesome synth punk type band that formed around the time of the Screamers and some other duos, but their drummer is terrible! He does extremely inappropriate little rolls, barely even plays his kit (which is a pretty bad idea in this case since the two keyboard lines are always so busy), and he adds random off-time crash cymbal hits every now and then. On a few songs on their only full length album, he shows some real artful competence but on most songs he's just ... what's the opposite of "all over the place"? It's like he doesn't exist sometimes and when he does exist it doesn't fit at all.

DRUMMERS WHO I DON'T LIKE THE STYLE OF:
The dude from ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - The shit he plays usually just sounds ridiculous.

The guy from Electrocution 250 - Oh, he's actually amazing, but all he does is double bass pedals for 5 minutes at a time. That's pretty much ALL he does. Again, ridiculous.

Lars Ulrich - Don't get me wrong, he has tons of amazing and creative drum.. uh.. "riffs" (...And Justice For All title track comes to mind) but whenever the band speeds up he limps behind and sounds silly. He can barely keep up. He's not too noticeable on their older material... but when you look at something like St. Anger...

Joy Division drummer - Just sounds like a boring drum machine. Nothing interesting.

Brad Wilk of Rage Against the Machine - The least interesting rock drummer I can think of.

Of course, there's Meg White, but I'm sure someone else will talk about her.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 10:55 AM   #2
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Any of the Oasis drummers - plodders one and all.

Exhibit A - Tony McCarroll:

Exhibit B: Alan White

Old 06.16.2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I read an interview where Meg White herself stated that her drumming is PERFECT for White Stripes' music. So it must be true
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Tatsuya Yoshida........

..........ooooohh!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 11:18 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hahaha. He's a genius. Pretty easily in the top 5 or so drummers around.

Still.. that was quite edgy of you!

Old 06.16.2008, 11:24 AM   #6
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Phil Selway of Radiohead. Not particularly brilliant drumming.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Hahaha. He's a genius. Pretty easily in the top 5 or so drummers around.

Still.. that was quite edgy of you!

i don't dispute his talent but i don't enjoy anything about it myself, i don't hate him, i just would rather haino played with somebody else
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 11:33 AM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The little wanker in the manic street preachers. He's just crap in every way.

But, and you're gonna hate me for being predictable, let's not forget...

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 11:40 AM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ohh yeah, also any drummer who barely hits the drums when playing blastbeats; death to those fuckers.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 01:20 PM   #11
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
richard edson, his drumming just didnt work with sonic youth's sound at all, thank god their guitars were always cranked up to the max so they could drown that guy out.

those drummers from modest mouse (theres fucking two of them, which i couldnt believe). i went with my dad to see rem on friday (i bought him tickets for father's dAY) and gay modest mouse opened (and played almost nothing from lonesome crowded west or moon and antarctica). they have two fucking drummers, and still their drum sound is weak. they were both playing the most simple ryhtyms and beats i have ever heard, so weak i almost laughed. brian chippendale or flo mounier have more skill in their pinkys than both those drummers had together.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 06:34 PM   #12
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really enjoy Tatsuya Yoshida either. After about 15 minutes he got on my nerves. I also don't like that guy in Supersilent.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 06:43 PM   #13
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
the drummer of korn
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 07:54 PM   #14
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
yoshida tatsuya is amazing, he can play very complex but also very subdued and yet also very powerful and simple.

and everyone who can play shifting time signature beats at that tempo while correcting a sequencer's volume and triggering samples is good in my book.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 08:46 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
fuck Buddy Miles, his drumming is alright but his work with Hendrix is fucking bore.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 09:14 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, tatsuya is amazing; in fact, Japanese drummers in generally are usually amazing. Listen to Koenjihyakkei... probably the best "prog" drums ever.

I understand Toilet's complaints but yeeeeeeeah.

Old 06.16.2008, 09:24 PM   #17
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The little wanker in the manic street preachers. He's just crap in every way.

But, and you're gonna hate me for being predictable, let's not forget...

hahaha.

it worked for the mary chain at the time though. the drums are one of the highlights of psychocandy.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 09:25 PM   #18
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I hated the drummer in my high sschool marching band. God, he was a drama queen.
Old 06.16.2008, 10:35 PM   #19
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Most drummers really. I'd rather more bands didn't think having one was a requirement. There are some like Charlie Gocher who absolutely rule(d), but they are few and far between. There are also a few like Steve Shelley and Moe Tucker who are great at just being ultra competent, but even they are a minority.

Despite all the anti-drum machine talk that came out of the shit programming of the '80s, I prefer a well programmed machine to a boring rock drummer without fail.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 10:38 PM   #20
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
hahaha.

it worked for the mary chain at the time though. the drums are one of the highlights of psychocandy.

yeah i love the drumming on psychocandy. i thought it was a drum machine when i first heard the album.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth