Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page songs with a lot of riffs in them
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.21.2008, 04:35 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I was listening to Tool - Pushit and I noticed there is something like 19 different, individual guitar riffs in that song. Lots of metal bands have a good 6 to 10 riffs in their songs, but damn.. 19! Even the most complex and over-the-top bands like Necrophagist or Weakling or whatever don't have that many riffs in any of their songs. It helps that the Tool song in question is like 9 minutes long but still.

So, I'm looking for a songs with a ton of riffs. Not guitar solos, I'm talking individual repeated riffs. I don't care if the music is really complex or not, I don't care if it's fast or not, I just want as many riffs as possible in a song.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Messiaen. Not a rock band, but you need to break away from all that turd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.myspace.com/itchytasty

Some mates of mine that you might appreciate.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.21.2008, 05:01 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Sweet!

Old 09.21.2008, 05:03 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

This Itchy Tasty band is fucking amazing.

Reminds me of Breadwinner a bit.

Old 09.21.2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

I think that makes you the second fan of Itchy Tasty, after me.

Quote:
Old 09.21.2008, 05:17 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

It just blew my mind, I thought that was some of the best stuff I've ever heard. I myspacefriended 'em!

I'll check out that other band now.

Old 09.21.2008, 05:20 PM   #8
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
i added em for their name alone. i'll listen ot teh music later.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2008, 05:57 PM   #9
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
tool-aenima was the first song on guitar i learned how to play when i was 9, i was stoked.

umm, songs with lots of crazy riffs:

acid mother's temple-loved and confused
king crimson-2ist century scizoid mam
metallica-batterey
bad brains-i against i (the bad brains were basically a prog rock level of skilled band, but they decided to play ultra fast punk rock, but the thing that is special about them, is it seems like more intense and loud and fast the more tight, controlled, rhythmic, hypnotic, and musical it sounds, there are so many guitar riffs in this song, and fucking darryl man, shit)
brutal truth-kill neglect (still some of the fastest guitar playing ive ever heard)
chrome-the monitors
the wipers-over the edge (sage is a fucking virtuoso of punk, such simple riffs, but so beautiful and fucking perfrect, and the guys a great singer too)
eyehategod-methamphetamine (my favorite opening riff of all time)
hendrix-who knows?
parliament funkadelic-maggot brain
miles davis-john mclaughlin (track off bithces brew, miles tells mclaughlin to go off, to which he does)
melt banana-spathic (agata is the best guitarist in the punk/noise underground right now period, he has a style that is unique and distinct and innovatie as derek bailey's, but he is still a fucking rocker and doesnt act like anything more, listening to him play is amazing and inspring, and watching him live is religious)
mayhem-the freezing moon
the adverts-one chord wonders (this is kinda like my favorite song, and as the title suggests, it is as simple as possible, which only increases its perfection, i love the little surf guitar line that is played throughout the verse, what a band the adverts were, total no wave)
led zeppelin-dazed and confused
husker du-something i learned today
dino jr-sludgefeast
neil young-cortez the killer

so much shit dude. guitar driven rock music takes up at least 50 percent of the music im into. old rock, early punk, hardcore, post punk, proto punk, blues, heavy metal, noise rock, noise punk, thrash, death metal, grindcore, black metal, accoustic folk, psychedelic music. i mean, im sure thats a similar situation for all of us, when it comes down to it, putting all our wierd, avant tastes on the table, were rock fans.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
black sabbath - wheels of confusion
Old 09.21.2008, 06:08 PM   #11
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
http://www.myspace.com/itchytasty

Some mates of mine that you might appreciate.

Some of this sounds v good, Glice. Wonder if they'll ever grace London?
Old 09.21.2008, 06:15 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Anyone like the band Loincloth?...

Old 09.21.2008, 06:21 PM   #13
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Slayer - Raining blood
Old 09.21.2008, 06:32 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Subhumans "From the Cradle to the Grave"

the album version of this tune is the only 13 minute anarcho-chaos punk song I know of, and it has dozens of change ups, riffs and fills.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2008, 06:35 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
black sabbath - wheels of confusion

yes, in fact, that whole album has an excessive number of riffs..

Old 09.21.2008, 06:36 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

sweet!

Old 09.21.2008, 06:38 PM   #17
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
yes, in fact, that whole album has an excessive number of riffs..

yeah

vol 4 is good for that

except for changes.
Old 09.21.2008, 06:42 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
yeah

vol 4 is good for that

except for changes.

hey, everyonce in a while drugs make you crash into a wall and you have to record a depressingly personal tune..

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Technical Ecstasy also have a shitload of riffs, Tony practically made both those albums by himself and he went nuts.

Old 09.21.2008, 06:53 PM   #19
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

i like changes a lot but it just doesn't go.
Old 09.21.2008, 07:07 PM   #20
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Carry Stress in the Jaw by Mr. Bungle
Very fun to play if you can do it right.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth