Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic humans?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.27.2006, 08:32 AM   #61
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
My question was, would it bother anyone if it were true?

No one seems to be answering that--they seem more concerned with discovering who my friend's band is.

No, honestly it would be fine, but your acting like a retard introducing a story and not even concluding it. You have put this upon yourself,

1 No One Believes
2 No one believes you because you have no evidence
3 your question about if we would be bothered is probably the most uninteresting question you could ask about this story

you think we really care about the morals of SY??
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 09:36 AM   #62
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I guess you have answered my question. SY fans have no morals.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 09:50 AM   #63
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Right,i hate sharing this sort of gossip with you guys but one evening a few years ago Thurston Moore knocked on my door and asked if he could borrow some wine glasses cause he had some friends round and both him and Kim like entertaining but dont bother much with buying their own cutlery and china.Two days later i asked for my fine crystal wine glasses back and what do i get as a response?
''Sorry porkmarras but we got really pissed and we've accidentally managed to smash all your glasses''.The fucking cheek!I think i might sue them for this.......

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 09:55 AM   #64
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm...so they ARE assholes.

Old 05.27.2006, 10:07 AM   #65
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Okay, I just saw a reference to this incident on the web, and I think my friend must have been exaggerating....Apparently Thurston asked to borrow a telecaster and proceeded to bleed on it.

Old 05.27.2006, 10:09 AM   #66
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

What a relief! I'm glad they didn't smash their instruments....but they smashed your wine glasses and that's not cool.

Old 05.27.2006, 10:13 AM   #67
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

I wonder what Assblaster just blasted....probably a load of fart gas.

Old 05.27.2006, 10:20 AM   #68
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Most likely Daycare Nation's ex-roommate's tale is an exaggerated one. Let us assume that items were, in fact, borrowed. Usually an account such as his has some grain of truth to it, & I'll refrain from a blanket assertion that it is a complete fabrication. Sonic Youth probably re-strung the guitars with very heavy guages & tuned them exceedingly tight as they are wont to do & damaged the tuning pegs, hairline fissured the neck at the base or busted a bridge or something during their performance. It is readily known that they are rough on instruments & the like. I can never imagine that they actually "destroyed" loaned equipment. Any damage that ensued was certainly not deliberately maliciously intentional.
That's my take & you can take it to the bank.

Things like this routinely get blown out of proportion & embellished for effect by all parties involved because people are bored & it makes for a better story in their warped minds that have little to no respect for the truth of things.

I figured that after four pages of second guessing & jibber-jabber, sixty-six replies & close to six hundred views, that someone might appreciate a sensible response, so I posted.

Again, that's the most likely explanation. I didn't write what I wrote to offer excuses or plausible deniability for Sonic Youth's sake, because this event as described never happened. Hearsay doesn't hold water in a court of law & it doesn't fare well under scrutiny on a Sonic Youth message board either given the nature of the charge.

Daycare Nation keeps going back to this question & it's a rather moot point because Sonic Youth fans should not be put on the spot & forced to answer a question like this when the alleged incident is based solely on hearsay. And of course people want to know which band his ex-roommate is in to gain more information to possibly further this debate, because their curiousity has been piqued, & also to test his credibility, naturally. It seems both surprising & odd that Daycare Nation would not realize this himself & that he would be such a doggedly tireless advocate for his ex-roommate's yarn. At any rate, his diatribe has been resoundingly blown to smithereens & an airtight case for reasonable doubt has been made by myself.

I think a smarmy khchris(original)-inspired "Next" is apropos & indeed, for once, actually warranted at this moment.

The perfect post.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 10:23 AM   #69
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

The band is Brave Combo....Thurston borrowed one of their guitars and bled on it, apparently.

Old 05.27.2006, 10:27 AM   #70
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
So... all he did was bleed on it?
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 10:35 AM   #71
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
My question was, would it bother anyone if it were true?

There are many reasons. First, it's always troubling to see people mistreating each other, but it's especially disturbing when the culprit is someone whose work you admire. To think their work was done in a malicious way would put a blemish on it. And to think that I helped support malicious people by spending my money on them would disturb me, too. (Not so much that I would lose sleep at night, but enough to piss me off a bit.)

I still don't believe SY ever did what your friend alleges.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 11:59 AM   #72
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Brave Combo were featured on The Simpsons in 2004 during the Oktoberfest scene in the episode Co-Dependent's day. I think they got the end music spot too & Matt Groening is a fan; on a related note, Sonic Youth are reportedly his favorite band & we all know about their appearance also.

There was a day when fame meant hoofing it in some big-budget musical or, maybe, a spot on Solid Gold. In these complicated times of bloggers and Real World celebrities, however, success is a far trickier beast. How do you know when you're famous? Is it when your sex tape circulates on the Internet, or when Iraq invites you for a visit? Here's one surefire watermark: You've made it when The Simpsons--the best television show, period--animates you.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:xDdC8JbXqU4J:www.dallasobserver.com /issues/2004-03-11/music/sceneheard.html+simpsons+brave+combo&hl=en&gl=us&c t=clnk&cd=6

Co-Dependent's day is the season 15 episode where Marge becomes a lush & after Homer wrecks, takes the blame as the drunk driver when Homer switches places with her. The subplot is about Bart & Lisa's annoyance with Randall Curtis, in a parody of George Lucas, after seeing the new "Cosmic Wars" movie. It was one case where The Simpsons lifted an idea from a South Park episode; it's the other way around usually.

http://www.tv.com/episode/315351/summary.html

I was wondering about the difference between Brave Combo & Brave New Combo. I've been wondering this ever since I saw that epidode of The Simpsons back in '04, so I wiki'ed. Brave Combo won the Grammy for Best Polka album in 1999 with their album, get this, Polkasonic. Wiki also tells us that they won again just last year for Let's Kiss. Who knew polka had it's own category? Where is Weird Al Yankovic in all of this hehe? An ex-girlfriend (yet another) of mine was given an elaborately handmade Yugoslavian accordion by her stepdad for her high school graduation & I used to play around with it. Accordions are pretty neat & very difficult to play.
The listing also reports that Brave Combo members appear in Davd Byrne's 1986 movie True Stories. The soundtrack album & the movie (dog) itself are the worst thing that Talking Heads ever did. I remember being really let down by it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_Combo

I probably didn't look hard enough, but I still haven't found the answer anywhere of what the difference between Brave Combo & Brave New Combo is & was wondering if Daycare Nation might know. I think Brave New Combo was their original name, but I may very likely have this backwards (makes sense), & I have nothing to back this up except fuzzy memories.

porkmarras*, you're too funny.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 12:10 PM   #73
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Here's the link to the page about the bleeding-on-the-tele incident:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:3hYr5GL_fHcJ:www.brave.com/bo/scrapbook/pump/sept05.htm+thurston++brave+combo+&hl=en&gl=us&ct=c lnk&cd=2

I've written before at the old board about my time in Dallas for a few months during '89. Some interesting stuff happened.
Old 05.27.2006, 12:38 PM   #74
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Would it bother anyone if people told lies about other people and those lies were believed; and later when the truth was found out; those lies were then called 'exaggerations'? It's like when OJ Simpson murdered those people, it was just a 'misunderstanding' :P
Old 05.27.2006, 01:13 PM   #75
atari 2600
invito al cielo

oh no, you shouldn't do that,
don't you know you'll stain the tel-e,
(er, i mean car-pet)

Old 05.27.2006, 01:23 PM   #76
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Would it bother anyone if people told lies about other people and those lies were believed; and later when the truth was found out; those lies were then called 'exaggerations'? It's like when OJ Simpson murdered those people, it was just a 'misunderstanding' :P

LOL.

I've never heard of Brave New Combo....If I talk to Bubba again I'll ask him...apparently he has a solo project and is not currently in Brave Combo, but I saw on his website that he is playing with them in September.

Old 05.27.2006, 02:59 PM   #77
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssBlaster
Actually Sonic Youth is one of Groenig's favorite bands. According to Groenig himself, his number one rock band vacillates between Zappa and the Mothers and Phish.
yawn

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 03:10 PM   #78
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
so, Daycare Nation, you misled us all. Thurston did not destroy your freinds equipment, he bled on it. And it was most likely by accident. You know how hard the band plays! I would be blessed if Thurston Moore or any other member of Sonic Youth, past or present, were to bleed on my guitar! You're friend sounds like a whiney bitch who likes to make himself sound self-important and spin misleading yarns that damage other people's credibility. Shame on you for even starting up this stupid, fucking thread. What a Waste.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 05:15 PM   #79
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
is it me or couldn't this whole thing quite possibly all be a fabrication? i mean if my roomate said that they had anything to do with sy im pretty sure i'd remember i wouldn't confuse bleeding on instruments with smashing a guitar. also it seems like it took an extremly long period of time to finally disclose the name of the band. perhaps just maybe this was a rouse and in fact the starter of the thread is desperate for attetion which so far has be achievied. the thread starter could've easily "googled" such a story and perhaps didnt first disclose the band name not because of the reasons stated but more so because at the time couldnt obtain the bands name and needed to further research the claims of ill will on sy's part to a roomate. i could be wrong however but i dont think so

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 07:13 PM   #80
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
so, Daycare Nation, you misled us all. Thurston did not destroy your freinds equipment, he bled on it. And it was most likely by accident. You know how hard the band plays! I would be blessed if Thurston Moore or any other member of Sonic Youth, past or present, were to bleed on my guitar! You're friend sounds like a whiney bitch who likes to make himself sound self-important and spin misleading yarns that damage other people's credibility. Shame on you for even starting up this stupid, fucking thread. What a Waste.

Shouldn't you blame the person who lied to me? If not, then you are the stupid fucking waste.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth