Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New Pixies
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2013, 05:55 PM   #41
Pinkunicornnx
little trouble girl

Pinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's asses
Pixies is my 2nd favorite band and I really like their new song
Pinkunicornnx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2013, 08:01 AM   #42
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I haven't been able to stand Frank since Teenager of the Year, as cliche and predictable as that sounds. The only album of his that I've listened to more than a few times since then was FrankBlackFrancis, which I found oddly comforting.

have you really kept up though? I mean he pumps them out. Lots of good stuff in there. If you wanna give it another shot I'd probably mention Honeycomb as a recent-ish favorite.
Old 06.29.2013, 09:42 AM   #43
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Of course I haven't kept up. Haha. The last Frank Black album I bought is almost 10 years old, and I honestly haven't paid much attention at all since.

I'll give honeycomb a shot. But mind you, I've always been more of a fan of the dark side of the Pixies. I love the Breeders, so this might just be a losing battle. Like I said though, I'll give it a shot.

I trust your opinion on these things.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2013, 01:38 AM   #44
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Kim Shattuck will do the bass duties on the upcoming Euro tour. Tickets for Amsterdam are way too expensive (44 Euros)

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2013, 09:18 AM   #45
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Of course I haven't kept up. Haha. The last Frank Black album I bought is almost 10 years old, and I honestly haven't paid much attention at all since.

I'll give honeycomb a shot. But mind you, I've always been more of a fan of the dark side of the Pixies. I love the Breeders, so this might just be a losing battle. Like I said though, I'll give it a shot.

I trust your opinion on these things.

if you like the dark side of the pixies i would go with seven finger. honeycomb is still kind of countryish.

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2013, 01:17 PM   #46
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
New EP, folks.

http://www.pixiesmusic.com/ep1-us/
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2013, 02:15 PM   #47
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

As feared, it just destroys their legend

sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2013, 06:52 AM   #48
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I actually went to pitchfork to get their masturbatory self righteous take on the new EP. I can't believe these reviewers are paid to write journal entries about their own shattered dreams of writing about bands that broke up before they were fucking born. Of course it's going to sound like shit to someone who expects it to sound like God and Satan fucking through a thin hotel room wall.

They're people. They're a band, kind of. They have changed. Why MBV's mathematical and exacting recreation of their own previous records, with nothing but the benefit of more experience to distinguish it from a lost 91 release, received absolute praise when the Beatles of indie rock reuniting briefly to record a few sloppy unpretentious tracks that don't shatter worlds with their awesomeness is considered personally and universally offensive, I have no idea.

What the fuck did you expect? I haven't heard it, but the cover art is brilliant, so that's a plus. And pitchfork said nothing about what it actually sounded like; only what it DIDN'T sound like. Pitchfork is the fucking tragedy.
Old 09.06.2013, 04:23 PM   #49
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
All I've heard of the new stuff is their last single and I actually thought it was great. Much better than it should have been.

As for idiots saying their dreams have been shattered by a bands (maybe) shit new stuff. They can fuck off. Hysterical morons.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2013, 05:23 PM   #50
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
strange to me that they only released a four song EP when they have had other tracks they could have put on it to flesh it out a bit more.
Old 09.06.2013, 06:09 PM   #51
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't the thing they're doing is releasing eps throughout the year?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2013, 06:38 PM   #52
noisereductions
invito al cielo

no idea
Old 09.06.2013, 07:17 PM   #53
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
oh shit...this really happened?
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2013, 09:17 PM   #54
Severian
invito al cielo

Yeah. I don't know why, but I don't have a whole lot invested in it. If it sucks, it won't destroy my love for the Pixies, which has had twenty years to morph into what it is today (which is more appreciation, than "love," to tell the truth.) If it's great, it still won't change anything.

I don't think I'm over the Pixies... that's just not the way to put it. Though honestly I do believe that their music never again sounds as good as it does to the alienated artistic young people during their youth during the first stages of sexual identity seeking (in other words, college for most; grad school for some poor schmucks) when they begin discovering the beauty and horror of the human sexual experience. Once you hit 30, loving them becomes a less visceral and more academic affair. Still fun, but the vampiric majesty of their music loses a good portion of its bloodlust after the hormones stop flaring and start smoldering.

... Unless you're gay. Then I think the Pixies, like the Smiths, never stop feeling just *fabulous*

So I'm not over them, but I've stopped having heart palpitations at the opening riffs to their first three records, and I've stopped being "surprised" at how well Trompe holds up, and I've accepted that Bossanova is a great EP stuck inside a terrible album.

So basically, I guess I'm just way too god damn analytical to enjoy anything other than the sound of my own thoughts. And sonic youth. And sleeping. And *real* newspapers, goddammit! And JAG.

God I'm a fucking douche.
Old 09.07.2013, 02:38 AM   #55
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I thought the EP was really fun and definitely sounded like them. What Goes Boom honestly could be a Trompe Le Monde outtake for all I know.

I think people are pissed over it primarily because they are so attached to a "former" that it's hard to accept a "current" state of the band. Which is fine, but to simply hate on it for that reason is a bit silly, like that typically hilarious Pitchfork review.

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2013, 05:59 AM   #56
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

... Unless you're gay. Then I think the Pixies, like the Smiths, never stop feeling just *fabulous*

God I'm a fucking douche.

.................................................. ...............................................
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2013, 06:19 PM   #57
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
.................................................. ...............................................

I meant no offense with that bit. Hell, I often wish I was gay. I'd make a great deal more sense as a person. Then again, I subscribe fully to Kinsy's continuum measure of sexuality. And I'm a douchebag because I'm a goddamn bore, and I write long winded posts about subjects of very little consequence, when my country is about to blitzkrieg Syria.
Old 09.07.2013, 07:00 PM   #58
noisereductions
invito al cielo

wait wait wait

I think Bossanova's a pretty great ALBUM.
Old 09.07.2013, 09:13 PM   #59
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
wait wait wait

I think Bossanova's a pretty great ALBUM.

That's cool. I'm not going to be a snarky fuck about my opinion, and act like it's an objective truth. It was the Pixies album I most recently listened to, and I just kinda had trouble with it. Every other song felt like a chore, so I eventually just tossed "Dig for Fire," "Velouria," "the Happening," "Ana," and a few others into a playlist and called it "Bossayesva" because I was supposed to be working, and I'm not that clever to begin with.

Like I said earlier, Im a fan of the dark side of the Pixies. For me, Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, BBC Sessions, B-Sides (half of it anyway), the Purple Tape, and Frank Black Francis disc 1, are in a totally different order, the story of the Pixies. Bossa is the story of their death, and Trompe is the origin story of some fat guy named Frank Black, who I still believe is Black Francis's evil doppelgänger twin, who stole his identity in 1990.

This would make an excellent comic book, by the way.

The Pixies always have been one of the best bands ever, but it's just my nature to place things in order. Something I can do with almost everything. Maybe that's why Sonic Youth has been my favorite band for so many years: it's impossible for me to even pick a favorite era, let alone a favorite album. And favorite song? Hell no. It would kill me. I'd stop going to work, stop leaving the house, and probably just sit in front of my record player, taking chicken scratch notes and smoking cigarettes until the vultures came for me.

I should try some time though.

Where was I? ... Oh, right, you go ahead and like Bossanova. Makes no difference to me. I just love to ramble. I have very little going on in my life, so... Y'know. It's this or have kids.
Old 09.07.2013, 09:28 PM   #60
noisereductions
invito al cielo

"The Happening" is genius!

At any rate, who the heck am I? I mean, if I had to choose I could possibly call Live At The BBC my favorite Pixies album. That's fucked up right?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth