Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.19.2015, 10:28 PM   #47341
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
been on this late Kyuss early QOTSA kick. some of my favorite guitar playing.

Kyuss and the circus leaves..
qotsa s/t album
Rated R

the new EODM is ok. it might get better like Like Clockwork/ and the first Qotsa album is still the most fun. I mean those riffs and tunes. good stuff. it's Stooges worthy.

Fuck yeah first Qotsa album + Rated R...

I have to admit, I kinda fell off with Songs for the Deaf. Dave Grohl started turning up... things got really "alternative rawk" really fast. The craziness that I loved about the first two records was replaced by all this pretty basic rock stuff.

I mean, Them Crooked Vultures was a supergroup with Jimmy Page. It doesn't really get more trad rock than that.

I still think they're better than most modern rock-type-stuff bands (ugh.. Wolfmother is celebrating some 10th anniversary of why I'm certain is their only hit... Why?), and I still love Kyuss, but at this point I don't even read Qotsa articles. The name doesn't register as something I consider read-worthy.

But those first two albums... God damn man! Stooges worthy is right. "Regular John" is one of the great opening tracks, fuck it all.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2015, 10:34 PM   #47342
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
"that complicates the complications"

On Fire? like Keef Richards head in goats head soup.

good song. early Seb is like " I need a girlfriend" later is like "what do I do with this". hehe.

Harmacy came out then The Mollusk blew my mind the next year. lets get all 90's in the bitach.

btw, Not Too Amused was my favorite song off Bakesale too.

The Mollusk is a goddamn masterpiece. I used to think Chocolate & Cheese was the best, but Mollusk is like the fucking White Album of Ween. If I were in charge of things, that fucker would have won so many Grammys.

Ween is of course a definitive and essential band, and they didn't really fuck around much with "not great" music. Every album has its own special awesomeness. Even La Cucaracha. But the Mollusk is just motherfucking insanity. Horrifying and ear splitting and violent but I swear "It's Gonna Be Alright Baby" would be a #1 if Coldplay or U2 recorded it.

Sebadoh... Ween... Qotsa ... They all kind of part of a very similar tradition aren't they?

I love back in the day shit-shootin' sessions.
Old 10.19.2015, 10:52 PM   #47343
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
been on this late Kyuss early QOTSA kick. some of my favorite guitar playing.

Kyuss and the circus leaves..
qotsa s/t album
Rated R

the new EODM is ok. it might get better like Like Clockwork/ and the first Qotsa album is still the most fun. I mean those riffs and tunes. good stuff. it's Stooges worthy.
Kyuss is so great and the only stoner band I really love! My fav is Sky Valley, but really love also Blues for the red sun and Circus (itīs really odd album in a good way). Desert Sessions 9 & 10 is just great, never get into QOTSA maybe just because theyīre too produced, but I think I should listen some some their albums where are the "real" versions of that desert sessions songs.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2015, 10:55 PM   #47344
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
One of these days I am going to listen much more Ween than I have listened.
Old 10.20.2015, 02:35 AM   #47345
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
One of these days I am going to listen much more Ween than I have listened.

Do it.

You value musicianship, I know, and the Ween "brothers" are actually incredible players, pretty much capable of playing anything. The fact that they chose to play such weird and crazy shit and curse like sailors and be generally preposterous in every way can sometimes make people think they're not serious about music, but nothing could be further from the truth.

They're totally serious about music. It's lyrics, concepts, thematic content, imagery, genre norms and pretty much everything else that they're not serious about
Old 10.20.2015, 05:52 AM   #47346
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
White pepper is weens white album haha.
Old 10.20.2015, 06:25 AM   #47347
Severian
invito al cielo

Aw I see what you did there!
Old 10.20.2015, 09:43 AM   #47348
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Do it.

You value musicianship, I know, and the Ween "brothers" are actually incredible players, pretty much capable of playing anything. The fact that they chose to play such weird and crazy shit and curse like sailors and be generally preposterous in every way can sometimes make people think they're not serious about music, but nothing could be further from the truth.

They're totally serious about music. It's lyrics, concepts, thematic content, imagery, genre norms and pretty much everything else that they're not serious about
That little I listened showed me I will like this band. Just havenīt yet have time to it. What album you recommend to start?
Old 10.20.2015, 09:50 AM   #47349
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 10.20.2015, 09:51 AM   #47350
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
oh, and fuck Ween.
Old 10.20.2015, 10:22 AM   #47351
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
A guy I ended up despising played Ween all the time. He'd wake me by blasting "Push the Little Daisies," my vote for Most Annoying Song Ever. I loath them, although this might not be fair. Whatever. Double fuck them.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2015, 12:16 PM   #47352
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
A guy I ended up despising played Ween all the time. He'd wake me by blasting "Push the Little Daisies," my vote for Most Annoying Song Ever. I loath them, although this might not be fair. Whatever. Double fuck them.

I'm sensing that you've never been awakened by Primus's "My Name is Mud" at obscenely high volumes.

Because that shit... That soulless shit.. is fucking next generation "annoying" - I hate asshole band.
Old 10.20.2015, 12:23 PM   #47353
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
That little I listened showed me I will like this band. Just havenīt yet have time to it. What album you recommend to start?

To start? Probably Chocolate & Cheese. It goes down pretty easy.

GodWeenSatan: The Oneness is a fantastic debut, and the Pod is probably their first "classic", but it's hard for me to imagine someone who's not already into Ween being into those records.

But like I said, I think the Mollusk was their greatest achievement as a band. So if you're relatively new to their sound, I would say Chocolate & Cheese and the Mollusk are the best ones to start with.

But I fully recommend digging in completely if you like what you hear.
Old 10.20.2015, 01:33 PM   #47354
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

My Name is Mud is very repetitive and boring, but Jerry was a racecra driver, Frizzle Fry, and Too Many Puppies rule
Old 10.20.2015, 08:31 PM   #47355
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Chocolate and cheese
Mollusk
White pepper

Great intros before getting into the truly weird shit
Old 10.20.2015, 09:11 PM   #47356
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Most of their later albums sound like compilations of a dozen unrelated bands. Its incredible
Old 10.20.2015, 09:22 PM   #47357
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
com'on man, Songs for the Deaf is just as good as the first two. Lanegan, Grohl, Oliveri, and Homme? it's a great summertime album. yeah, after that they lost me.

Maybe I'll give Songs for the Dead another listen.
I did enjoy the songs, but nothing absolutely pummeled my brain like "Give the Mule What He Wants" or "Reg John" or "Quick and to the Pointless" and there also seemed to be no real revelatory moments, like "I was a Teenage Handmodel" or "In the Fade" those songs that just kind of linger in the tenements of your subconscious...

Dave Grohl will play with fucking anyone, and I haven't cared for anything he's written since 97. So he's not a selling point for me. But maybe I should fuck with that album again after all these years.
Old 10.20.2015, 09:49 PM   #47358
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
being a Ween fan is a certain state of mind. otherwise they come off as dorky and disposable, but they aren't. it's very dark and enlightening. you just have to get there. of course it's funny but it's mocking and beyond. the opposite of someone making fun of your favorite band and getting mad about it. I mean "Don't Get Too Close to my Fantasy" is about child molestation. how sick is that? pretty fucking sick!!! and not in a good way but they got the songwriting craft down packed. so it's serious I guess which is even sicker, that's why they got fat and hooked on drugs. it's a Boognish thang.

er, I say Quebec is great to start off with. it has "The Argus" and "Captain". Mort u must at least listen to those songs. 12 Golden Country Hits is also fun.

Primus and They Might be Giants can go drown.

Agreed all around. Don't forget "Zoloft", one of their most perfect moments, and a great tune for the uninitiated.

Yeah, totally sick. That's true. I picked up on the oft-referred to "scariness" of Ween long before I actually got into them. Someone told me they were basically the most disturbing, fucked up band ever, and I didn't need to be convinced. All I needed to do was look at the cover of the Pod, which despite being based on the 1975 Best of Leonard Cohen cover, with almost nothing added to it, still manages to give me the fucking chills for some reason.

Also song titles, the apparent NEED for obscenity, these were the things that stuck in my mind about Ween, the things that made me totally believe that their music was going to be fucked.

And yeah, a lot of it is. They are scary. One of my favorite songs of theirs, "Spinal Meningitis" (which coincidentally has a very proto-QOTSA chorus) is so goddamn fucked up man... the distorted voice of a "child" with a terrible illness whining "it really hurts mommy/ am I gonna die?" is no less disturbing for the gitty retarded Ren & Stimpy chimes that enfold the skeletal verse.... If the chorus didn't bring the rock I'd have a hard time listening to it.

But the truth is that they're also a benevolent force in music. They're not *truly* scary like Idaho backwoods KKK hardcore bands or Billy Joel. They're like the perfect model of art imitating life imitating art, and everything they did they did with the intention of challenging and expanding our ideas of what music should be. They were true experimentalists, like Sonic Youth, like Aphex Twin, like Zappa and Beefheart and Brian Eno and Lou Reed.

I hate having to explain why I like Ween, because to me it feels as natural as liking Sonic Youth or the Flaming Lips or any of the other artists I mentioned. I like them because I like fucked up music, and I like pop music, and I like it when the two meet and shake hands and do a little dance and then chop one another's heads off. I love experimentation and unexpected sounds and inimitable artists, and that's what Ween's about.

Duh.
Old 10.20.2015, 09:58 PM   #47359
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
all those songs you called out are classics. or should be. Lanegan on "In the Fade" and "Song for the Deaf" and others on Songs for for the Deaf. I dare say it's the best, even those Oliveri song are classics.

no, it's a kickass album. should you expect anything else besides being slammed by "Song for the Dead"?

btw, "How to Handle a Rope" might just be the best early qotsa song.

its all better than the White Strokes.

Sorry man I just really like the White Stripes. They're not a favorite, but I am glad they were around to be the biggest thing in the music world for a while because they were good at it, and they were well branded and they put on a ripping good show, and they kinda reminded me of the Beatles in some weird ways I can't defend. Yeah early Qotsa is better, but I do love every white stripes album. I loved hearing Citizen Kane quotes on mainstream radio in 2001 (whaaat?), and I loved how weird some of the songs that filled their run of #1 albums were. Why is "Girl You Have no faith in medicine" on a Grammy winning album? Or "Black Math"? I don't know. The hardest fucking button to button? What? Awesome.

They did their thing and now Jack White is a freaking massive celebrity and I don't care, because the white stripes kicked some serious shit out when they were together.
Old 10.20.2015, 10:03 PM   #47360
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Songs For Deaf is really good.

Also, I really like Foo Fighters (still) so what the fuck do I know?
1868226823182358236523662367 2368 236923702371237824182468 > »
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth