Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Nicolas Jaar - SIRENS
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.03.2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses

Sorry to do a single album thread. Hasn't been working out super well for me the last few times.

But I'm dying to know if anyone has been as absolutely knocked out by Nicolas Jaar's new album, SIRENS (Other People, 2916) as I've been.

My hopes were really goddamn high for this. Even though it dropped with very little warning, and was dreaming within days of being announced, I still had ample time to think about the excellent Space is Only Noise, his various singles and EPs since that monumental album, and Darkside's Psychic.

I was ready for something great, but I wasn't ready for this.
This is without question the strongest electronic album of the year. Of the past 2 years, really. And it's not even exclusively electronic (at all), with Jaar performing some excellent Suicide-sequel vocals on a pair of truly whacked and wonderful post-punk tinged tracks ("The Governor," "Three Sides of Nazareth"). Things get soulful as hell on "History Lesson" too. And the first track the sprawling "Killing Time" is subtle disquieting techno at its most vital. So the palate is huge here. It's a headphone album, but sounds good as hell in the car too.

I rarely have such a strong response to new music anymore. This one really left me breathless. I would be a big fat douche if I didn't recommend it to anyone and everyone who would listen.

Anyone else digging this? Please say yes.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
It's stupid to call it "electronic music" really. I shouldn't do that. If I had a better imagination I'd come up with another term. One that people would no doubt loathe just as much. But it's what works right now.

I don't think it's corny at all. I like the post-punk "rockist" elements. All vocals performed by Jaar except one. I like the album as music. It'a not boring. That puts it ahead of just about everything else out there. The album really shouldn't be relegated to "electronic" music discussions. It's got too much going for it.
Old 10.04.2016, 08:47 PM   #3
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
no, im just a jackass that doesn't get electronic music. i love lots of it. but you know. it is what it is. can't say i get what everyone gets. can only use terms that describe it inoffensive while being totally offensive to you.

no offense.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2016, 11:10 PM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Hey I used the term too. I'm not pointing fingers. And it's not offensive. It's the most accurate way to describe the music in a modern pop culture context. I just wish there was a better term out there. In the absence of one, I think just plain "music" works just fine to describe this album, which is not "good for an electronic album," but is just good period.

Sorry you didn't dig it much. Surprised there isn't more interest in it here.
Old 10.18.2016, 07:23 AM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo

CD and LP of this bad boy are finally available. Waiting to get mine in the mail. Went with CD so I could play the thing in my car.

Still my No.2 album of the year, no question.

Hope at least one person listens to it here and says, "Damn that's some good shit."

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth