Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Student Arrested and Tasered at John Kerry Speech
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2007, 05:11 PM   #41
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i think telling a cop "do not taze me bro" is tantamount of giving him the order to do it-- once you put the idea in his head he won't be able to stop himself.

it's kinda like saying to a junky "don't think of heroin!".
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:13 PM   #42
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
that, or maybe the cop is an iraq veteran

Old 09.18.2007, 05:15 PM   #43
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think telling a cop "do not taze me bro" is tantamount of giving him the order to do it-- once you put the idea in his head he won't be able to stop himself.

it's kinda like saying to a junky "don't think of heroin!".

no doubt. Never say anything to a cop.
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:15 PM   #44
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature scene
yeah, if you also listen closely you can hear them threaten him with being tased and he says "I'll walk out of here, just let me go"

Of course, they aren't going to let him go and he should have stopped fighting back, but he clearly was no physical threat to anyone in the room. They used the taser because they weren't competent enough to hold him down and cuff him. I see at least 5 officers holding him -- you're telling me 5 officers can't cuff some college kid?

Compare the size of the officers involved compared to the student

Initially he shrugs off the first two officers who try to remove him, both smaller than he is, and I make the point again, trying to cuff someone who is resisting can result in breaking their wrists, arms, or dislocating the persons shoulders

I've just seen a variety of reports on this from news agencies and one of those includes information that this student had caused similar disruptions on campus before and thats why the students were applauding and laughing when the mic was cut

I still think the lynch mob should put the nooses away and wait until the facts emerge or are tested in a court of law rather than using one youtube clip of unknown origin as a basis for an opinion on such a serious issue
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:18 PM   #45
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePits
The fact he went over his time to ask a question? The fact they cut the mic? The fact he was asked to leave as a result of that and violently refused to go?

Frankly all I have seen so far is a "lets kick the cops" vent

I still think this was a prestaged stunt by the person concerned and not a legitimate effort to ask probing questions of Kerry

Anyone found out yet if this guy was subsequently charged with anything?

Be interesting to see if a jury examining all of the evidence finds the guy guilty of something rather than a message board that has seen all of one clip on youtube crucifying the police/security who dealt with him

Doesnt anyone find the pack mentality to jump to conclusions without knowing or seeing all the evidence on here scary?

This smacks of a good old fashioned lynch mob

I didn't see any violence on his behalf. There surely was resistance, but this was self-defence. If you gave it a good look yourself I think you'll find he wasn't exactly trying to get through five cops. I could see in that footage a college student who was in fear.

This is where I delight in the freshness on you saying some people on message boards are jumping to conclusions without knowing all the evidence.

My respect on policemen is mixed; it depends on whether the individual policeperson is corrupted or not.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:20 PM   #46
Lethrneck4
children of satan

Lethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE

watch this version and see the guy in the suit start making motions to cut off the questioner - but if questioner had gone over his time limit, than he should have stepped aside. None of the videos seem to show the entire deal.

Personally i think this is psy-op, a distraction while a US Attorney (who claims to have done it many time), was arrested going to detroit to rape a 5 year old girl.

hahaa, man, teslas accusations never fail to amaze me how insane he is,,,then again, i wouldnt put it past democrats...clinton was the king of the "wag the dog" ..tesla, is there ever an event or incident in this country that isnt a PSY OP?? LMAOOO i think tesla just likes posting PSY OP

i consider you dumb, ignorant, and irrelevant
perhaps more than a fly, but less than a fart. a joke - !@#$%!

Death by a firing squard of ten black gay men would be too good for this shithead. - atari2600

loser retard. pothead - !@#$%!

you're a real prick for acting so daft & being so disagreeable on purpose - atari2600

On the contrary, tesla69 is idiota numero uno - atari2600
Lethrneck4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:21 PM   #47
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...RU2Clj0dIgUOww

Student Arrested, Tasered at Kerry Event

By TRAVIS REED – 58 minutes ago
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A university student with a history of taping his own practical jokes was Tasered by campus police and arrested after loudly and repeatedly trying to ask U.S. Sen. John Kerry questions during a campus forum.
Andrew Meyer, 21, spent a night in jail before his release from jail Tuesday morning on his own recognizance. He had no comment when he left. His attorney, Robert Griscti, did not return messages seeking comment.
Videos of the Monday night incident, posted on several Web sites and played repeatedly on television news, show University of Florida police officers pulling Meyer away from the microphone after he asks Kerry about impeaching President Bush and whether he and Bush were both members of the secret society Skull and Bones at Yale University.
University spokesman Steve Orlando said Meyer was asked to leave the microphone after his allotted time was up. Meyer can be seen refusing to walk away and getting upset that the microphone was cut off.
As two officers take Meyer by the arms, Kerry, D-Mass., can be heard saying, "That's all right, let me answer his question."
Audience members applaud, and Meyer struggles for several seconds as up to four officers try to remove him from the room. Meyer screams for help and tries to break away from officers with his arms flailing at them, then is forced to the ground and officers order him to stop resisting.
As Kerry tells the audience he will answer the student's "very important question," Meyer yells at the officers to release him, crying out, "Don't Tase me, bro," just before he is shocked by the Taser. He is then led from the room, screaming, "What did I do?"
Meyer was arrested on charges of resisting an officer and disturbing the peace, according to Alachua County jail records, but the State Attorney's Office had yet to make the formal charging decision. Police recommended charges of resisting arrest with violence, a felony, and disturbing the peace and interfering with school administrative functions, a misdemeanor.
University President J. Bernard Machen issued a statement Tuesday saying he requested the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to investigate the arrest. Officials said it would determine whether the officers used an appropriate level of force.
Machen called the situation "regretful" in an afternoon news conference and said two officers involved in the incident were placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the probe.
"We're absolutely committed to having a safe environment for our faculty and our students so that a free exchange of ideas can occur," Machen said.
Kerry said Tuesday he regretted that a healthy discussion was interrupted and that he never had a dialogue end that way in 37 years of public appearances. He also said he hoped neither the student nor police were injured.
"Whatever happened, the police had a reason, had made their decision that there was something they needed to do. Then it's a law enforcement issue, not mine," he told The Associated Press in Washington.
Meyer has his own Web site and it contains several "comedy" videos that he appears in. In one, he stands in a street with a sign that says "Harry Dies" after the latest Harry Potter book was released. In another, he acts like a drunk while trying to pick up a woman in a bar.
The site also has what is called a "disorganized diatribe" attributed to Meyer that criticizes the Iraq war, the news media for not covering the conflict enough and the American public for paying too much attention to celebrity news.

Associated Press writer Andrew Miga in Washington contributed to this report.

And as I've often stated in similar threads myself, there's no use in resisting arrest and one must maintain a respectful attitude at all times when dealing with law enforcement officers. Oh, and it certainly seems as if this incident isn't the handiwork of a plant in the crowd, tesla69.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:22 PM   #48
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
no doubt. Never say anything to a cop.

a funny story.

once i was traveling in the dc metro system while intoxicated on the way to a concert. in fact i was drinking beer out of some cans with some friends. drinking on the metro is strictly verbotten.

someone must have reported me, because while chatting (loudly) with a friend who was sitting down (i was standing), suddenly i felt something yanking at my neck.

i turn around and i see this skinny cop flailing at the end of a tense arm that is grasping my neck.

i didnt move an inch. he looked ridiculous.

i yelled: "hey! what are you doing!"

he sez "i need you to get off this train"

"oh. you should just ask..."

so he asked me to leave, and i followed him. he checked my id and pointed at this beer can i had in my pocket.

"what's that?!?"

"trash" i said, and dropped it in a trash can.

he let me go.
Old 09.18.2007, 05:22 PM   #49
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
Quote:
Compare the size of the officers involved compared to the student

Initially he shrugs off the first two officers who try to remove him, both smaller than he is, and I make the point again, trying to cuff someone who is resisting can result in breaking their wrists, arms, or dislocating the persons shoulders

I've just seen a variety of reports on this from news agencies and one of those includes information that this student had caused similar disruptions on campus before and thats why the students were applauding and laughing when the mic was cut

I still think the lynch mob should put the nooses away and wait until the facts emerge or are tested in a court of law rather than using one youtube clip of unknown origin as a basis for an opinion on such a serious issue

dude, no doubt the kid was being sort of a dick and a drama queen. but there's no laws against that.

In the video, you hear one person ask him to ask a question, after that you see the guy call for the mic to be cut, right after that the police grab him. Did I miss the part where they simply asked him to leave?

The size didn't seem to matter too much, since they had him down. There are several ways to incapacitate someone, without causing harm, and without tasing them. Tasers should be reserved for situations that threaten physical harm.
Old 09.18.2007, 05:25 PM   #50
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
This year, Gainesville, FL, unseated Charlottesville, VA, as Cities Ranked and Rated's number one place to live in the U.S. and shit like this happens? Like I wrote before, there's no place in the whole state of Florida that deserves a high ranking.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:27 PM   #51
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob
I didn't see any violence on his behalf.

when the cops ty to immobilize you and you try to break free and use physical force to oppose them, i'm afraid they have the legal obligation to smack you down.

he didnt get tazered for asking a question, or for being a dick; he got tazered for struggling while he was being cuffed. just watch.

it's unpleasant and against everyone's instincts to let yourself be subdued, but the power of the state is ultimately that of making you go against your instinct. fucked up, yet true.
Old 09.18.2007, 05:32 PM   #52
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Well he was struggling, so he got tasered. You should never resist arrest, I think this idea goes unnoticed to many people. Then sue later on.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:33 PM   #53
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
This year, Gainesville, FL, unseated Charlottesville, VA, as Cities Ranked and Rated's number one place to live in the U.S. and shit like this happens? Like I wrote before, there's no place in the whole state of Florida that deserves a high ranking.

i mean, really. it's a state in the shape of a dick. isn't that warning enough as to the type of people who inhabit that fucking joint?

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:34 PM   #54
nature scene
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
when the cops ty to immobilize you and you try to break free and use physical force to oppose them, i'm afraid they have the legal obligation to smack you down.

he didnt get tazered for asking a question, or for being a dick; he got tazered for struggling while he was being cuffed. just watch.

it's unpleasant and against everyone's instincts to let yourself be subdued, but the power of the state is ultimately that of making you go against your instinct. fucked up, yet true.

Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if UF has a policy where it's officers can only use tasers when threatened by physical harm. If that's the case, they stepped over their legal rights, or obligations as you called them.

Even if that's not in the handbook and it's completely up to the officer's discretion - I would take a good hard look at this if I were one of the university officials investigating this. They certainly don't want to be known for being the university where cops tase students.
Old 09.18.2007, 05:35 PM   #55
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The risk of breaking his wrists or arms or dislocating his shoulders during restraint over the use of a stun gun?

Go figure

if they were trained properly, the cops wouldn't have had to cause such damage to that guy. same goes for your argument about his size compared to that of the first two. a little bit of training goes a long way, and that could've prevented this entire situation from escalating to the point that it got to.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 05:37 PM   #56
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
dude, no doubt the kid was being sort of a dick and a drama queen. but there's no laws against that.

In the video, you hear one person ask him to ask a question, after that you see the guy call for the mic to be cut, right after that the police grab him. Did I miss the part where they simply asked him to leave?

The size didn't seem to matter too much, since they had him down. There are several ways to incapacitate someone, without causing harm, and without tasing them. Tasers should be reserved for situations that threaten physical harm.

Are we watching the same clip? Did you miss the part where he is asked by two cops to stop? Watch the clip closely

You can see the cops lips moving as they initially interact with him

And I doubt its because they are repeating some mantra going through their brains

Wait until all the evidence comes out then draw a conclusion

Its called keeping an open mind
Old 09.18.2007, 05:43 PM   #57
nature scene
100%

Quote:
Are we watching the same clip? Did you miss the part where he is asked by two cops to stop? Watch the clip closely

You can see the cops lips moving as they initially interact with him

And I doubt its because they are repeating some mantra going through their brains

Wait until all the evidence comes out then draw a conclusion

Its called keeping an open mind

I seriously doubt they're simply asking him to leave... it's looks a lot more like they're approaching him, saying something along the lines of "come with us," and proceeding to grab him all within a few seconds.

They may not be in the wrong for wanting him to leave, and they may have the legal right to do what they did, but they certainly lack tact and ability to do their jobs without causing further problems.

I've said from the beginning that he should have just gone with them. He made things worse for himself. But that's not a license to use a taser on a student that's already being held down by officers.

Just because he was in the wrong doesn't mean the officers are in the right.
Old 09.18.2007, 05:44 PM   #58
ThePits
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
if they were trained properly, the cops wouldn't have had to cause such damage to that guy. same goes for your argument about his size compared to that of the first two. a little bit of training goes a long way, and that could've prevented this entire situation from escalating to the point that it got to.

Police are trained and even with the best training in the world you can still end up seriously injuring someone restraining and cuffing them

Try getting a set of handcuffs, and try practising on a friend with the friend resisting to various degrees

It might be enlightening
Old 09.18.2007, 05:45 PM   #59
ThePits
stalker

Quote:
I seriously doubt they're simply asking him to leave... it's looks a lot more like they're approaching him, saying something along the lines of "come with us," and proceeding to grab him all within a few seconds.

They may not be in the wrong for wanting him to leave, and they may have the legal right to do what they did, but they certainly lack tact and ability to do their jobs without causing further problems.

I've said from the beginning that he should have just gone with them. He made things worse for himself. But that's not a license to use a taser on a student that's already being held down by officers.

Just because he was in the wrong doesn't mean the officers are in the right.

Well at the moment we dont know what was said or wasnt said

As for the last part of your comment I entirely agree, thats why I suggested waiting for all the facts to come out or wait for them to be tested in a court of law before drawing conclusions
Old 09.18.2007, 05:48 PM   #60
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Try getting a set of handcuffs, and try practising on a friend with the friend resisting to various degrees

ha ha ha, you kinky bastard.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth