Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The pro gun movement
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2010, 03:00 AM   #261
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Actually I was thinking of the legal age to purchase cigarettes in California.

Which is 21, so I was way off.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2010, 03:02 AM   #262
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Actually I was thinking of the legal age to purchase cigarettes in California.

Which is 21, so I was way off.

FOR REAL?!?! That shit's crazy, man....18 here...21 for booze. I guess some things are good about the south.
Old 08.06.2010, 03:03 AM   #263
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
'Course, i think my guitar offers a sense of "quasi-individuality". Almost any decision anyone ever makes sans shitting/eating/sleeping does.
I disagree. The difference I find is the intention to implicit and explicit individualtity, the latter being 'quasi-individuality.' Perhaps it's because you view all individuality as explicit that you think I mean 'any decision anyone ever makes' but that's not what I mean. Purchasing my guitar, for example, was not intentionally an explicit gesture of individualism.
Old 08.06.2010, 03:06 AM   #264
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I disagree. The difference I find is similar to implicit and explicit individualtity. Perhaps it's because you view all individuality as explicit that you think I mean 'any decision anyone ever makes' but that's not what I mean. Purchasing my guitar, for example, was not intentionally an explicit gesture of individualism.

But, it still was regardless. Unless of course you had no intentions/fantasies of ever letting anyone (sans yourself) hear you play yr instrument.

I see where yr coming from (I think)...things just don't work like that in my mind.
Old 08.06.2010, 03:06 AM   #265
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
FOR REAL?!?! That shit's crazy, man....18 here...21 for booze. I guess some things are good about the south.
I could have sworn it was 16 or 18 when I was around that age.
Old 08.06.2010, 03:11 AM   #266
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
But, it still was regardless. Unless of course you had no intentions/fantasies of ever letting anyone (sans yourself) hear you play yr instrument.
It really wasn't because buying a guitar wasn't a big thing around the people I knew. A few of my friends owned guitars, so did my brother. There was nothing explicitly individualistic about it.

And, no, I'm not that bothered to have anyone else hear me play. In the rare occasion that I do, it's for the song's sake and not my ego's.

Quote:
I see where yr coming from (I think)...things just don't work like that in my mind.
Hence "Sway's all about that, isn't he."
Old 08.06.2010, 03:23 AM   #267
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
It really wasn't because buying a guitar wasn't a big thing around the people I knew. A few of my friends owned guitars, so did my brother. There was nothing explicitly individualistic about it.

And, no, I'm not that bother to let anyone else hear me play. In the rare occasion that I do, it's for the song's sake and not my ego's.

Hence "Sway's all about that, isn't he."

Loud 'n clear.

But clearly ya cared enough once upon a time to take enough action to actually start a myspace page for yr music. I dug yr stuff....I just have a hard time believing it was all for the song's sake. I'm not saying it wasn't, at all, but everyone wants others to like (and sometimes even hate...) what they do. Art is about the overall individual/audience experience. I mean, unless of course you have no interest in taking credit for what you do? Would you not mind if I stole one of yr songs and made millions off of it? If you say "no", + honestly don't mean it, there is more ego involved than you would have me believe. If you say "no", and do mean it, you're probably one of the most beautiful people to ever walk the planet. If you say yes....yr argument is invalid.
Old 08.06.2010, 03:45 AM   #268
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Would you not mind if I stole one of yr songs and made millions off of it?
No. Of course nothing I can say can prove that I'm sincere but I don't mind that.

And the reason I made a myspace was more as an effort to 'complete' the songs more than anything. A song can be 'in writing' for as long as I live unless there is some way to take it away from me, thus the need to publish. After that, they're old. I've moved on. Share them, sure.
Old 08.06.2010, 03:48 AM   #269
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Without guns there would be no gangsta rap. Without guns life would suck.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2010, 03:53 AM   #270
pbradley
invito al cielo

Maybe, in some instances. There's your hunter who is keep alive a tradition, the paranoid who keeps a gun because he's afraid of the government, and then I think there are those who buy them for the coolness factor. There seems to me to be a very limited uses of a gun in America today. I think the explicit individualism may be one possible reason for owning a gun (or smoking, for that matter) but certainly not the only one.

But then there's the consitutional argument, but that's the stock argument that obscures all the real reasons one would buy a gun.
Old 08.06.2010, 03:54 AM   #271
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
No. Of course nothing I can say can prove that I'm sincere but I don't mind that.

And the reason I made a myspace was more as an effort to 'complete' the songs more than anything. A song can be 'in writing' for as long as I live unless there is some way to take it away from me, thus the need to publish. After that, they're old. I've moved on. Share them, sure.

I can appreciate that, even though I feel it moves slightly away from what I was getting at. Really, this can go no where anyways....just like the ongoing gun debate....

There can be no right and wrong when there are pros and cons to both sides (I suppose this sums up the whole gun thing for me....). I just, again, stand closer to the side of the fence that happens to be pro gun.

A happy ending??????
Old 08.06.2010, 04:00 AM   #272
pbradley
invito al cielo

What I dislike is that the liberal platform has become more gun friendly than in the past but in the way of seeing gun ownership as a less important issure than others rather than out of principle. That was largely my opinion about guns before that shift. So now I feel like I'm towing the party line, which sucks.

Yes, I've fired guns before. No, I don't feel the desire to own a gun and don't really understand the appeal to. As for gun related deaths, I'm skeptical that gun control could make a substantial impact on those numbers. I think there are other, more obscure influences over those. Even further, I'm now living in country on the other side of the world. It's an apathy sandwich with cynicism sauce.
Old 08.06.2010, 09:20 AM   #273
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Without guns there would be no gangsta rap. Without guns life would suck.

Gotta love this way of thinking...
Old 08.06.2010, 09:51 AM   #274
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Go talk to the people of New Orleans who, after the hurricane/flooding and the complete disregard by the AUTHORITY/powers-that-are-supposedly-protecting-our-security had to get on top of their houses/businesses and hold Old West style standoffs with looters and hardened criminals escaped from the local jails, PROTECTINGTHEIR LIVES AND PROPERTY.

It just takes ONE act of "god"/nature to destroy the thin veneer of society and rules and law that we all choose to live by.

It can happen anywhere.

When Hurricane Ike hit Houston, my area of town (near downtown and some iof the city's worst neighborhoods) was without power/electricity for 6-15 days straight.

That is 1-2 weeks without police protection, alarms ssytem working etc.

would have loved a gun then
Old 08.06.2010, 09:57 AM   #275
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and the title of this thread is quite misleading

there is no PRO-GUN "movement" in USA.

gun ownership is a right given by the Constitution of the country.

what exists is a concerted effort by many people who fear government intrusion into our personal lives fed by the ANTI-gun movement.

That is the only thing that should be called a "movement" because they are the ones trying to change how it is, to change the constitution or run circles around it.
Old 08.06.2010, 10:24 AM   #276
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Go talk to the people of New Orleans who, after the hurricane/flooding and the complete disregard by the AUTHORITY/powers-that-are-supposedly-protecting-our-security had to get on top of their houses/businesses and hold Old West style standoffs with looters and hardened criminals escaped from the local jails, PROTECTINGTHEIR LIVES AND PROPERTY.

It just takes ONE act of "god"/nature to destroy the thin veneer of society and rules and law that we all choose to live by.

It can happen anywhere.

When Hurricane Ike hit Houston, my area of town (near downtown and some iof the city's worst neighborhoods) was without power/electricity for 6-15 days straight.

That is 1-2 weeks without police protection, alarms ssytem working etc.

would have loved a gun then

according to nik, that was a lie made up by the media.

haha
Old 08.06.2010, 10:35 AM   #277
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The psychology of owning a firearm is interesting.

How many buy a gun just to have some outlet to prove their quasi-individuality? Like buying a pack of cigarettes once you turn 16. Sway's all about that, isn't he.

never, but this thread made me go check out the guns at wal-mart yesterday.

then i picked up a hunting license booklet, they keep them by the guns-- i have a fishing license (don't do it much, cuz i hate sweetwater fish, but eh). however, the prospect of having an elk in the freezer is truly mouth-watering. then again it's not easy so i might start with quails and turkeys or something along those lines.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2010, 11:03 AM   #278
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i guess americans really are like this then:

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2010, 11:05 AM   #279
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
just for the record assless chaps are comfortable.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2010, 11:08 AM   #280
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Just like the Greeks were a sefaring nation and it shows in all their modern culture, the US (a young nation still) was a nation of explorers, settlers, loners, misfits. It still shows.

so yes, many americans were like yosemite sam.
111213 14 15161724 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth