Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Last Days
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2010, 09:35 AM   #21
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Actually Last Days shows exactly the man's tragedy and pitifulness... Kurt's main crux is 'the suffering of an artist'. He actually believed that wholeheartedly; and at the same time; he wanted to capture the playful, cathartic essence that is rock; that was Nevermind... I believe the mixing of the two yielded a mysterious, massively destructive force that completely engulfed Cobain and transformed him into a tightly-rolled ball of guilt and sorrow. This was a man who was both admired by Fred Durst and Thurston Moore, don't forget that... And in forging such a unique and powerful legacy; he ultimately consumed himself in the process...

Last Days is not so much a film, as it is a cinematic essay peeking into the lives of these tragic 'grunge' caricatures; and the central, pinnacle figure in the center of the revolving wheel...
Old 05.12.2010, 09:53 AM   #22
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Actually Last Days shows exactly the man's tragedy and pitifulness... Kurt's main crux is 'the suffering of an artist'. He actually believed that wholeheartedly; and at the same time; he wanted to capture the playful, cathartic essence that is rock; that was Nevermind... I believe the mixing of the two yielded a mysterious, massively destructive force that completely engulfed Cobain and transformed him into a tightly-rolled ball of guilt and sorrow. This was a man who was both admired by Fred Durst and Thurston Moore, don't forget that... And in forging such a unique and powerful legacy; he ultimately consumed himself in the process...

Last Days is not so much a film, as it is a cinematic essay peeking into the lives of these tragic 'grunge' caricatures; and the central, pinnacle figure in the center of the revolving wheel...

i don't really give a fuck what names he was admired by. or for your romanticising bullshit. yeah, suffering artist and playful essence of rock, nice way of putting it. but you also need to add massively pyshcotic drug induced egomania to that. you're still romanticising it. massively. stupidly. here's a hint at what actually consumed him. cigs booze skag weed crack pills junk etc.

but i am not replying to anymore of this because im not going to dare open this can of worms.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 10:15 AM   #23
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
watch it Ni'k you're too young to use the word skag...
man that word comes from the sixties.
Old 05.12.2010, 10:20 AM   #24
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
we use it in ireland more than any other word for heroin.

but having said that we also use the word "hippie" to describe anyone who looks, em, remotely anything.

so yeah we are a bit behind the times.
Old 05.12.2010, 12:13 PM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
n'ik, you continue to make posts that are up there with dead-air's as the most thought provoking, intelligent, and hilarious on the board. Bravo! The part about the crystal meth chase sequences to make anti-solos... why don't you do a website like markprindle.com or some shit? I mean, seriously. Not trying to kiss your di'k or anything, but...

I think they still need to make a hardcore, true-to-life Kurt film, wherein he spits in fan's faces (literally), rapes turtles with pencils, doesn't show up to band practice, nods off to sleep while fucked up on heroin while holding his infant daughter, and doesn't appreciate any of his fans, friends, family, or band members who helped him become a millionaire rock star, which he always wanted, obviously, even though he always had to play up the punk card "I DON'T WANNA SELL OUT MAN! LET'S RELEASE IN UTERO, WHICH HAS RAPE ME, THE WORST SONG EVER WRITTEN, ON IT!"

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 12:22 PM   #26
ni'k
invito al cielo

thanks. yeah thats why i took the blog offline for a while, to redo it in a less serious style. it'll be up again when i get the time.
Old 05.12.2010, 01:59 PM   #27
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
No, trust me, I get the film, I just don't see anything special in it, a scene or two notwithstanding, the whole film felt incredibly lazy and self-indulgent. Sure, there's some nice sound editing and pretty images, but what film doesn't have that stuff nowadays? A film like this can be made by any hack with a camera; that's why I keep bringing up Van Sant's other films, because he has proven he is not just some hack, he actually has a great deal of talent and imagination.

C'mon, Adam ... really?

Last Days slaps a nerve in me that very few films ever do. This is the same nerve seemingly reserved for films like Eraserhead, or Begotten.

The film perfectly captures the stress-filled, pretentiously grim mind of it's main protagonist, and consistently heaves it into it's viewers' faces. Rarely, have I ever felt so isolated from watching a film, yet so simultaneously "at home" with the film's characters. It truly is a unique experience, and the outstanding cameos (Korine, Kim, etc.) throughout the film only strengthen it further.

I mean, you wouldn't necessarily call it a forgettable film...would you?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 02:05 PM   #28
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k

i liked last days but i felt there was something missing in it. i've watched it like 5 times and i think the point he was going for was sort of bring your own context. like he said it was a fictional meditation. the first time i saw gerry it was great, the first few scenes i really enjoyed because i didn't know what to expect. but i wouldn't watch it again.

i enjoyed last days because it has that self indulgent/experimental spirit that kurt might have appreciated. most of the nirvana fans were expecting chase sequences werein kurt and layne staley shoot grunge crystals (heroin) to give them enough power to play mad anti solos that deafen their pursuers. it didn't give them that or any kind of heroic mythologisation (maybe a little).

but i felt there was something missing in the film. something major that should have been it there but got cut out. and in a way its almost a kinder tribute than the reality of what actually went on. kurt was way more pyschologically fucked up at that point and was literally hiding out from everyone, sneaking into peoples rooms and rearranging ornaments. he had completely lost touch with any semblance of a healthy engagement with reality and died in quite tragic and pathetic way. it wasn't some sort of ponderous existential crisis. it was something closer to a guy possibly with brain damage absolutely fried from one of the greatest binges known to america who realised his credit cards had been stopped and people were threatening to take away his money, career and child, and felt totally boxed into a corner with no way out. it was a sad sad ending to a man who was both exploited and self destructive. i've been a MASSIVE nirvana fan for years and know the details of their story pretty well and it is not something you want to imitate. its a disasterous spiral downwards.

of course that reality can't really become known because you gotta sell the senstive artist superman jesus musician angle to the kids so thankfully hollywood is going to step in and rewrite reality yet again to make some sort of romantic bullshit narrartive about "tortured genius".

excellent and insightful
Old 05.12.2010, 03:25 PM   #29
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Last Days is painfully underrated.

yes yes yes yes yes
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 03:40 PM   #30
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
last days is fucking boring

"lazy and self indulgent" hit the nail right on the head
Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 03:54 PM   #31
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it sucked.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 03:54 PM   #32
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Nice posts btw, Nik
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 04:01 PM   #33
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I think Last Days did too good of a job at what it set out to do for most people to enjoy it.

What do you guys think of flicks like The Brown Bunny?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the whole point of these films was to be painful. Kinda like how you feel after watching The Weather Man. Both that, and The Brown Bunny receive very similar criticisms to Last Days. I mean, doesn't transporting a feeling of unease from media/art to the human mind translate to the film being successful in it's execution?

Seriously, I don't get it. I know half of you jerk off to shit like La Vie Nouvelle...so how can you so easily dismiss this?
Old 05.12.2010, 04:28 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 05.12.2010, 04:37 PM   #35
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Old 05.12.2010, 04:39 PM   #36
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Is that the sister with spinal meningitis from 'Pet Sematary'?

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 04:42 PM   #37
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Poor man's Singles.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 04:48 PM   #38
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Old 05.12.2010, 07:32 PM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
The Brown Bunny is a masterpiece. Amazing film. Has nothing in common with Last Days. The Weather Man's a good mainstream comedy, has nothing in common with any of these films. La Vie Nouvelle is a terrifying art film. Has nothing in common with any of these films either. I dunno what point you're trying to make, except to namedrop a bunch of films that have some bleakness or emptiness in them.

But, like, every film I watch is nihilistic.

But not every film I watch is dull and lazy like this one. This film felt like something anyone could have made. There's just not much to it. Sure, the content may mirror the tone, the bleakness, the nothingness of existence -- but, well, it sure is shitty to sit through. Give me Jost's BED YOU SLEEP IN, BELL DIAMOND, SLOW MOVES, SURE FIRE, etc. Now those are movies that communicate bleakness in an interesting way...

Anyway, glad you like it and got something out of it, man.

Old 05.12.2010, 07:42 PM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Anyway, props to the Rubin on Letterman pic. RUBIN AND ED rules.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth