Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page lets hear it for Greg Saunier
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.23.2008, 09:46 PM   #1
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
what an incredible drummer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYSe...eature=related

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 09:51 PM   #2
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
and an incredibly cool dude...his drumming is off the meters...he busted a hole right through his kick drum when i saw em play milkman a few years ago
Old 09.23.2008, 09:53 PM   #3
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
He's pretty damn good....creative.

I never really got into Deerhoof as much as a lot of people seemed to have. They're pretty good though.

I actually just "got" their new album today, but haven't listened to it yet.
Old 09.23.2008, 10:00 PM   #4
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Dude is a spazz in all the best ways possible.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 10:44 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
He seems like a cool dude, and he is a great drummer, brings to mind my hero John French (of Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band) at times.

My favorite work of Greg Saunier's is his drumming on Experimental Dental School's 2 1/2 Creatures.

And yeah, Krastian, I always found Deerhoof to be a pretty good band who has so many good albums (but not that many GREAT albums) that they kind of get a freeby pass on some of the more annoying aspects of their sound. Still, I'd take a pretty good record by them over most records being put out... Greg is definitely the star of that band, either way.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 10:47 PM   #6
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
They are good, but can get pretty repetitive at times....not to mention annoying.
Old 09.23.2008, 10:50 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think when they really branch out and get creative (like Runners Four's twisted pop brilliance), they're awesome. But some of their albums have serious stretches of monotony...

Just wanted to say that Apple O', Milk Man, and Runners Four are all brilliant though.

Back on topic: Greg rules!

Old 09.23.2008, 11:11 PM   #8
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
revielle is awesome too. the runners four is amazing though. i definitley can dig how they evolved from a sorta sonic youth worshipping noise rock unit to a wierdo cutesy noise pop group with amazing melodies and excellent vocals and all sorts of songs that sound different.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 11:43 PM   #9
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i remember seeing them a few years back and he was sitting on a crate playing the drums which made the kit seem that much bigger. he was all arms and legs but what a sound he was making.

deerhoof can be annoying but still pretty damn good.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 11:44 PM   #10
krastian
invito al cielo

Exactly
Old 09.24.2008, 01:18 AM   #11
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Deerhoof a few years ago. During the very first song in their set, he broke a stick. So he just starts drumming with his hand, and laughing like crazy. Then like the whole crowd just got caught up in his enthusiasm and started laughing and going nuts right along with him. He was like a man possessed. It's hard not to get caught up in just how energetic they are live. Soooo much fun.

I met him after the show too, nice guy. So yeah, yay Greg.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 02:56 AM   #12
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
he's excellent
Old 09.24.2008, 07:41 AM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I want him to produce some of my stuff. I wonder what his rates are!

Old 09.24.2008, 09:06 AM   #14
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
too much for you.
i can produce yr next LP
I have this:

Old 09.24.2008, 01:07 PM   #15
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I want to be DP'd be Greg and John (the guitarist).

Greg is a great drummer.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 02:02 PM   #16
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I want him to produce some of my stuff. I wonder what his rates are!

he woulda been perfect for ruinhorse! you should get someone like, i duno, for some reason i think robe being produced by a more jazz based musician would be fuckin incredible, because i think i hear something of a jazz influence in robe which i fucking love. is that a trombone in there or what? but i mean, just that one little distinct sound will give you guys the edge over so much doom drone who cant get over trying to re-create earth 2.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 03:51 PM   #17
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
What batreleaser said. Robe. is my favourite of your projects Adam. RUINHORSE was cool as hell, and I like Scissor Shock (though I don't think I've ever listened to a whole album...) The trombone is certainly the most interesting aspect.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 09:14 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha glad you guys like me.

And ha yeah that's a trombone in Robe. My friend Booe plays it, he also plays in Scissor Shock. I play occassional saxaphone... Robe. is pretty fun because the band is constantly falling apart, constantly in disarray, every live show we've played has been met with equipment falling apart, tires blowing out, us being pissed at each other, etc. I think only one show went through okay and it was terrible. Robe. is weird, there's seriously a lot of tension in that band, and I've wanted to end it many times. The stuff I want to do with it is often at odds with the other members, since I write all the songs usually (except for a few albums that I'd rather not talk about that I had no involvement in....................), I want to do kind of an "avant classical" sound with Robe... but the other members just kind of want to get noisey and crazy... I dunno, I just get tired of doing the same shit on every album...

Glad you all liked RUINHORSE, that was when I was 14 though! Hahaha. Not really interested in doing stuff like that anymore. It's very very very simple, I can do songs like that in my sleep without any effort, and I guess I just wanted to get away from that simplicity. I had about 10 other bands before, after,and around that time that were similiar and had some stuff you guys would like, but I dunno. I never felt like putting them up on myspace or anything so fuck it... maybe one day.

Scissor Shock...... I'm trying to do something different on every album, so I'm going to make some records people love and records people hate. I have yet to make the same record twice, and I'm proud of that, because it's actually pretty difficult to constantly reinvent yourself. The new stuff I'm working on sounds like uhh... some twisted version of Caroliner with trumpet and trombone and saxaphone and xylaphones and a couple of home made stringed instruments.. it's like Caroliner meets Harry Partch. Very weird stuff.

I also have a pretty staightforward grindcore band kind of in a Pig Destroyer/Agoraphobic Nosebleed style called Christ the Band that no one on here's ever heard outside of a few people around town. The CD is a long time coming but I'm going down the "100 songs on the album" route, each one not being longer than like 40 seconds.

Also, I recently started a new surf band called The Death Powders, it's going to be really dark doomy death surf stuff.. I want it to be the darkest surf band in existence... so hopefully something good will come out of that and I can let you guys hear it soon.

Thanks again.

Back on topic:

GREG ROCKS!

Old 09.25.2008, 12:59 AM   #19
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I love Greg.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth