Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rock My Religion - film w/ SY at MoMA
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.19.2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
Not sure if it was mentioned here other than here: http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...=rock+religion

Seen it last night and it features "Shaking Hell" and "Brother James", with snippets, just snippets of SY c. 1982-84 (probably no more than one minute) though music plays for longer, on top of narrator voice-over etc. Thurston and Kim are listed in the credits under "Important Ideas". It has a feel of an unfinished documentary, and looks like it was edited on vhs tape. Has some footage of Patti Smith looks like from Central Park, some Black Flag footage, looks like Henry Rollins but I could be wrong (hardcore show pit footage too), plus clips from "Gimme Shelter", the Doors in Miami audio, Jerry Lee Lewis talking to Sam Phillips audio tape, and other stuff like that. Plus the movie traces rock back to the Shakers religious sect, and connects that to "Shaking Hell". pretty bad vid quality like I said, VHS tape quality, but still interesting.

Forgot- yes it does feature Branca as well but I forget the track that plays. And it's playing again on Sunday in case someone wants to see it.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 11:09 AM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
"Shaking Hell" lyrics were supposedly inspired by Dan Graham's research on the subject.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth