Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mix Tapes Round 8
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.17.2007, 06:29 PM   #61
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Got mine in the mail today! Listening to it right now. The album art has no text, it's crayon on paper entirely. Haha, a really funny a capella blues track with amazing lyrics is on it, along with some good noise songs! Thanks!

EDIT: NIIICEEE, the latest Wu Banga is on it that was released on Ghostface's Fishscale. Good pick. And I believe there's a Yoko Ono song on it that was really good! Correct me if it wasn't yoko, it has the Ono/Patton vocal style

that's my tape, rob. you want the tracklist?

not to be a dick or anything, and it's not directed at inhuman, but i get twitchy whenever someone talks about crazy vocals and calls them "like mike patton"
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2007, 02:02 PM   #62
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
inhuman rob: what i meant by "you want the tracklist?" is do you want me to post it on the thread or would you like me to pm it to you?

and sorry, yes, it's yoko ono.

i got my round 8 tape, i got bytor peltor's; sounds quite good so far, doing a track by track review as i'm listening.
Old 05.18.2007, 03:08 PM   #63
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

my review:

The Last Of The Very Last
A Bytor Peltor Mix April 07
SY Mix Tape #8

The artwork is a newspaper clipping, a picture of a woman looking quite stern and with her eyes closed, stting down and reaching out for a plataform shoe on a table besides her, along with a bottle of water, glued to an orange-y paper where all the data (as seen above) was written. Underneat the picture you can read the headline "Supreme Court Wrestles With Insanity Question" from the flipside of the paper

Side A:
1. John Zorn, i'm pretty sure it's Naked City, kicking a really wild bop song.

by the way, there are no spaces between songs.

2. Yo La Tengo - The Story Of Yo La Tango, awesome choice and perfect follow up!
3. Some sort of british soul-like song, slick production, Wings/McCartney-like in some places, chorus pedaled guitar tones. Keyboards, generic guitar solo, it's an ok song.
4. Acoustic song, pretty vocals and harmonizing with a girl on the chorus. An electric plays some texture stuff for dimension; the male singer doesn't really get me going but the harmonizing is nice.
5. Wah guitar pockets and soft, marching band snares, singer sounds suspitiously like Ian Brown; makes me wish i had Stone Roses albums...actually, he sounds more like Richard Ashcroft, again, i have nothing by the Verve or his solo stuff; good song.
6. Proggy stuff, Pink Floydian vocals with piano figure in the back with some synth lines in between and electronic drums starting at some point. Not my cup of tea but fits right in there...is this Brian Eno?
7. Guitar driven stuff, angular riffs and some synths mixed in there, i think.
8. Starts out theatrical, in a weird way, sounds like something Björk might do; mostly electronics, then acoustic drums kick in and drive the song for a bit then it goes instrumental, the drum beat kinda ruins the mood, though, sounds good but a slower drumbeat would suit it better.

Side B:
1. Chill electronica with piano figures, in a way it reminds me of Air. Good climbing arrangement.
2. Slow, bassy drone with a conversation like electronics beneath. (don't know if it's the continuation from the song before)
3. Sounds like someone trying to be a more sophisticated Flaming Lips, it got on my nerves, i'm guessing it's the Polyphonic Spree. It's all fake happy shit, sorry, it got on my nerves.
4. Is this Broadcast? i'm afraid to say Stereolab, but it could be; really good song, i loved it. Amazing arrangement, it builds up great.
5. Acoustic, very melodic, harmonica solo, something about Jesus. The last part of the song is really good.
6. Country-ish stuff, bajo, harmonica, lapsteel; male/female harmonies, it reminds me a bit of Low.
7. Rumbling bass plucks, guitar playing arpeggio and dude singing high pitched and a bit stressed, i like it!!
8. Another acoustic, a male/female duet with some neat harmonizing in the chorus. more folkish than the rest.
9. Jesus Lizard, can't recognize the song though; great as always!
10. That voice sounds familiar, bassy tone, steady beat, good.
11. I don't know why, but this song sounds Swedish; sounds happy.
12. Dancy remix of Garbage - Stupid Girl, i love the original version and actually, their whole first album. Surprised to hear it here.

overall, a good, chill tape with some truly great songs in between.

i would love to have the songlist.
Old 05.18.2007, 03:10 PM   #64
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
12. Dancy remix of Garbage - Stupid Girl, i love the original version and actually, their whole first album. Surprised to hear it here.
If I was a girl (or vice-versa) I'd marry you.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2007, 03:13 PM   #65
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
If I was a girl (or vice-versa) I'd marry you.

that's both creepy and flattering.
Old 05.18.2007, 07:42 PM   #66
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
that's my tape, rob. you want the tracklist?

not to be a dick or anything, and it's not directed at inhuman, but i get twitchy whenever someone talks about crazy vocals and calls them "like mike patton"

Oh thank you! No offense taken as well, I know more than just you that feel that way about patton's voice. I would appreciate it if you posted the tracklisting in the thread, so others can see too! I'll do a short review as well once I find a little bit of time.
Old 05.18.2007, 07:46 PM   #67
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

side A:
1. MDC - John Wayne Was A Nazi
2. Suishou No Fune - Vale Of Spirits
3. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Orange Claw Hammer
4. Unsane - Against The Grain
5. Blood Stereo - untitled
6. Derek Bailey & Evan Parker - 1980-Oct-16 Montgomery Theater, San Jose CA part 3
7. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Haq Ali Ali Haq
8. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Timorous Me
9. Explosions In The Sky - Welcome, Ghosts

side B:
1. Sun City Girls - Apna Desh
2. Avarus - Lapsivesi
3. Smegma - Happy Birthday Rhumba
4. Daniel Johnston - Bye Bye Barbie
5. Wapstan/Clon - Turbines
6. Swarrrm - Brain
7. Yoko Ono - Why
8. Espers - Widow's Weed
9. Musica Transonic - A Pilgrimy Solace
10. Ghostface Killah feat. the Wu-Tang Clan - 9 Milli Bros
11. The Yardbirds - I'm A Man
Old 05.18.2007, 07:51 PM   #68
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
The last song of each album / ep. Started with the letter Z (Zorn) and moved backwards alphabetically: The Last Of The Very Last

01. Zorn, John - Inside Straight
02. Yo La Tengo - The Story Of Yo La Tengo
03. XTC - Books Are Burning
04. Winterpills - Looking Down
05. Verve - Echo Bass
06. Underworld - Stagger
07. Tapes N. Tapes - Jakov's Suite
08. Sneaker Pimps - Walk The Rain (Spin Spin Sugar EP)

01. Recoil - Freeze
02. Quake - Preparing To Take The Long View
03. Polyphonic Spree - I'm Calling (Wait EP)
04. Oppenheimer - This Kiss When
05. New Order - Run Wild
06. Mojave 3 - Between The Bars
07. LOW - Home
08. Kings Of Convenience - The Build-Up
09. Jesus Lizard - Dancing Naked Ladies
10. Interpol - Leif Erikson
11. Heart Throbs - Tiny Feet (reprise)
12. Garbage - Stupid Girl (Danny Saber mix - Milk EP)

the proggy thing is underworld? would have never guessed.

and as much as i love sneaker pimps, i know why they didn't include that song in their album, good but not as amazing as the rest.

and who would have thought i dug interpol there?

thanks for the tape man!!!
Old 05.20.2007, 09:00 AM   #69
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I've received the tape that Inhuman recorded. A nice looking tracklist.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2007, 04:47 PM   #70
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I've received the tape that Inhuman recorded. A nice looking tracklist.

Thanks, tell me how you like it!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth