Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mix Tapes Round 9
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.20.2007, 05:34 PM   #81
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
dude, don't worry about it, go buy yourself a happy meal
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2007, 02:18 PM   #82
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
While we're on the subject, I'm terribly hungry, but a Happy Meal is out of the question. Depending on the included toy maybe.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2007, 08:43 AM   #83
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I received a tape yesterday - A Bytor Peltor mix. I'll try to get round to reviewing this one a bit quicker than I did the last one of his that I received, but I still have to do a review of Inhuman's tape from round 8.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2007, 09:13 AM   #84
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Just bumped and updated that thread.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2007, 09:14 AM   #85
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
got every ns tape the other day.......
Old 07.25.2007, 09:17 AM   #86
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
paul!!!!! hope you enjoy it.

i probably got mine but i can't check until the week after the next one.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2007, 09:23 AM   #87
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
its going in the postvan tomorrow! its the only way i can kinda listen to tapes at the moment thats why im so behind on the listening front. some of the shit on my tape came from yourself so dont be too excited getting it!
Old 08.04.2007, 08:53 PM   #88
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i got paul's tape, listened to it, now it's review time:

the tape is called I Was The "dj" Tonight and the cover artwork is a formula 1 car mid-explosion, tracklist included as well as contact info.

also of note is that most songs segue into one another with no pause.

side a

1. Jazkamer - Friends Of Satan: from one of my favorite albums of '06, metal music machine, led by all around musical genius, lasse marhaug, and boasting people from all around the norwegian music spectrum, this is a vicious way to start anything, with blastbeats and a wall of feedback, guitar riffs and electronics, fantastic arrangement that shines after a couple of listens and ending with some multilayered screaming. love it.

2. Merzbow - Victoria Crowned Pigeon: at first, i didnñt recognize it as merzbow and it was until like halfway thru that the harshness began, it{s nice to see how masami akita can stretch from his signature sound.

3. Can't - We Are The World: analogue synth noise that breaks in the middle for jessica rylan's characteristic vocalizations, i can't get excited about her but it's a good inclusion in the sequence.

4. Battles - Leyendecker: one of the best songs in mirrored if not the catchiest, been humming that melody for weeks.

5. Autechre - Inhake2: actually, i was taken a back by this one, i didn't think it could be autechre, fairly standard number.

6. Von Südenfed - Flooded: song which gives this tape it's title, and one of the better songs of this collaboration (i though it was quite bad, the tracks with mark e. sounding pretty dire and the songs with more mouse on mars seemed ok but lacking since mark e. doesn't shine; still, it has some fine moments and this is one of them).

7. Tortoise - Adverse Camber: more electronic explorations, this one being interesting.

8. Warlords Of Pez - Clippety Clop: amazing seguing with this one and tortoise's, zany, electronic and pretty awesome.

9. Lee Ranaldo - Fragile: a great rocker from sy's unsung songwriter, he's so good at writing and singing straight up songs, one wonders why he doesn't do it more often and why (arguably) he gives his worse songs to sy albums.

10. Free Design - Can You Tell Me...: the weird part of the tape begins with this child like indie rocker about a certain kids show.

11. Sun City Girls - Give Them The Frequencies: scg in their narrative mode, short, makes me want more girls.

side b

1. Negativland - Happy The Harmonica: the highlight of the weird segment, a radio novel like about old ladies, harmonicas, cats, dogs, songs and insanity.

2. Rollers/Sparkers - Stickshift: a return of the electro, pretty standard number, can't get too excited about it.

3. OOIOO - Eyemix 2: i'm surprised yamatsuka decided to use a fairly by the numbers techno treatment for this remix, i expected more spazz and glitch; thankfully, yoshimi and the girls sing the joy home.

4. Tomahawk - Ghost Dance: from their new anonymous album, a north american indian invocation with guitars and beats swelling and relaxing while patton intones mantra like. kevin rutmanis is definitely missed here.

5. Rollerskate Skinny - Speed To My Side: pop indie guitar music that definitely has older brother kevin shields' influence there; still, they display great songwriting of their own.

6. Melt-Banana - Cracked Plaster Cast: from one of the best albums of the year, one of the best songs, equal parts catchy, well wrtitten song and ultra violent sped up chipmunk psychosis.

7. Young Widows - Glad He Ate Her: this band, with a very good song here, reminds me of someone else, but i can't quite put my finger on it, need to listen to it again.

8. Descartes A Kant - Jesse Lee: love this band, one of the best albums to come out of mexico, ever. spazzy yet catchy and rocking with a little bohemian touch in there. (glad you liked them, paul)

9. Thurston Moore - The Church Should Be For Outcasts Not A Church That Casts People Out: probably the best segue in the whole tape, t's usual skronky guitar work blending perfectly with descartes' own skronky guitar work, making it a sort of coda for jesse lee. a good track to close the tape.

like the tape, will spin it again, not many surprises but that's not such a bad thing.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2007, 09:17 AM   #89
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
.............. and the cover artwork is a formula 1 car mid-explosion.......

its actualy an irl car! i thought you would have got the other one i sent. oh well. i hav to get my act in gear and review, even listen to yours marcos. im so slack. my problem is that thereis only one tape deck in the house and thats in a location which aint condusive to listening to music. i will when i get an afternoon on my own!
Old 08.07.2007, 09:17 AM   #90
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

oh yeah, that lee ranaldo song... that a wire cover!
Old 08.09.2007, 08:57 AM   #91
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
For Mix Swap # 9, I received a tape from screamingskull. Nothing too adventurous, but a great listen none the less! I was on family vacation last week and we (my family and I) enjoyed this tape all over the great state of Texas. I really enjoyed the way Brian Wilson, Beatles, Joni Mitchell and The Grateful Dead were mixed in. The only thing negative about the tape......the last songs on Side A & B cut off during the track when the tape runs out The artwork appears below.

Side A

Screaming Skull - Sonic Youth
Coast To Coast - Elliott Smith
Evil Will Prevail - Flaming Lips
Gee Angel - Sugar
Roseblood - Mazzy Star
Feel The Pain - Dinosaur Jr.
Levitate Me - Pixies
Estate Sale - Eels
Swallowtail - Brian Jonestown Massacre
I Went To The Mirror - Todd Rundgren
In Blue Hawaii - Brian Wilson
Jack Ass - Beck
Heroes - David Bowie

Side B

Gingerale Afternoon - Flaming Lips
Good Clean Fun - Cat Power
Seen How Things Are Hard - Elliott Smith
Tenderfoot - Lemonheads
Sweet Bird - Joni Mitchell
Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down - Interpol
Rest My Head Against The Wall - Heatmiser
Nietzsche - Dandy Warhols
Playing In The Band - Grateful Dead
You Never Give Me Your Money - Beatles
Sun King - Beatles
Too Alive - Breeders

yeah my tape player's kinda stupid, it doesn't continue recording on the other side of the tape after one side is finished, it just cuts out but the song continues playing on the cd player. I am glad you liked the mix of songs anyway, i always tend to lean to the pop side of alternative music, so no scary noise stuff on the tape.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth