Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What's your take on hardcore music collectors?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.13.2010, 11:39 AM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Everything Matisse wrote, or draw, or paint is worth money.
But the reproductions are worth nothing (maybe some feelings to the viewer, but no money).

but a quality reproduction conveys the imge, just as a quality reproduction MP3 conveys the sound of a Misfits 7"

what one buys when one buys are or records is the artifact.

that is why people wil pay thousands for rare Beatles stuff, or hundreds for very rare Misfits 7" singles.
They are already 30+ years old.
Old 07.13.2010, 11:41 AM   #22
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
It still boggles my mind when some seem to concern themselves a bit to much w/ the way others are listening to their music.

Just listen to the music, if it sounds good to you...you win.
Old 07.13.2010, 12:14 PM   #23
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what one buys when one buys are or records is the artifact.
An artifact?!!
You're turning mystic when talking about music!
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 12:25 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Think of it like Warhol. He produced many copies of each of his paintings. Each wasn't a 'unique' artefact, but it was an artefact of Warhol's art.

Simple economies of scale: a single Warhol is worth more than one for which there were 50 produced. If there was, say, a single copy of the first Beatles demo, that would be worth much, much more than my copy of the White Album.

There's the popularity of the band to factor in, but the fact that Black Flag (or whoever) are now incredibly influential means that their original, limited artefacts are worth a lot of money. If their first single was a limited edition of 1, it'd be worth a lot more than a limited edition of 500.

None of this comments on the quality or otherwise of the music - it's not really about the music itself but everything that surrounds it. If you just want the songs, download them (or buy the CD re-issue), but if you like the artefact (which is still a huge part of listening to music for a lot of us), the rare 7" is much more appealing. Personally, I have a lot of sentimental value attached to certain parts of my record collection, but that doesn't quite extend to spending my arse on rarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 12:50 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
By artifact I just meant the original creation/output, gualbert!

all media are artifacts, even CD's.

the early Misfits 7" singles, which were pressed in runs of 100, or even 50 because they were just broke ass jersey kids, were in many cases put together by hand by Danzig and the boys. When you have something like that you are holding the actual item they busted their asses off to produce.

It adds to the enjoyment, at least for me.

the song is the same, and the song rules if you love it, but the actual record is much more than just a song. That is important to people like me who grew up scrutinizing record covers to learn about musicians and stuff.
Old 07.13.2010, 01:17 PM   #26
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the early Misfits 7" singles, which were pressed in runs of 100, or even 50 because they were just broke ass jersey kids, were in many cases put together by hand by Danzig and the boys. When you have something like that you are holding the actual item they busted their asses off to produce.

It adds to the enjoyment, at least for me.
Well, fine.

I got a Cherubs/Slug 7 inch single, and my copy is the NR ONE, of a limited edition (of course). Do you think it's worth money?
Old 07.13.2010, 01:20 PM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

to a fan of either band for sure.
Old 07.13.2010, 01:56 PM   #28
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Are there still people who want to pay $300 for a Black Flag, or Misfits 7 inch?

There are people willing to pay $14000 for a Misfits 7"
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 02:22 PM   #29
gualbert
the end of the ugly

The singer has an unusual haircut, but waoh!! weird. hard to believe.
Old 07.13.2010, 02:43 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

a 1st state Beatles BUTCHER cover can go for hundres of thousands....

Old 07.13.2010, 04:40 PM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Cherubs/Slug 7 inch single

One of my favorite bands ever. This was my avatar for the first year or so I was on this board:

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 04:44 PM   #32
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
You should use it as your avatar again

OLD SCHOOOOOOOOOOL

I think my first avatar here was Mario or Yoshi or some shit.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 04:56 PM   #33
gualbert
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

One of my favorite bands ever. This was my avatar for the first year or so I was on this board:

Cool cover, great record.
Are you interested in that Cherubs/Slug 7"?
Auction starts at $10000.(eventually the price will get a bit lower)
Old 07.13.2010, 04:56 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
good idea Derek.

...Anyway, to answer people's questions, in the past few years, I've gotten rid of just about every movie and cd/tape/record I ever owned. I have thousands of burnt cd's and burnt movies but the entire idea of "collecting" just seems ... not for me. I'm a very minimal person. I am actually thinking of selling all my musical equipment except for my guitar and a practice amp (I have like 7 amps, keyboards, basses, pedals, all this useless fucking shit). I have OCD as it is, for real, the idea of collecting things and such just seems tiresome, I don't have the energy for it. My original response was probably better -- you can't take it with you when you die. Well, let me reiterate the fact... what is the point, exactly, of having a ton of shit? I mean, if you are actively enjoying it, then sure. But even with the stuff I have now, I just keep giving it away or selling it because I'm like, "Wow, I will never listen to this ever again, why doesn't someone else have it?" I'd rather make other people happy. One man's trash is another man's awesome fucking Trashmen vinyl. You know?

So sorry, no Cherubs 7" for me.

A few years back, I owned probably 2000 horror/artsy/exploitation/experimental/weirdo DVD's/VHS's. I now own like 50 actual movies (and 15 of 'em are Kitano films). I just looked at this huge of shit that I had been collecting for like 9 years and went, "Eh. Fuck it." Put them ALL in trashbags, sold just about everything or gave it away. I traded like 400 of them for this laptop. It was nice. Felt very.. freeing. And I can still enjoy the movies, I just enjoy them on a dvd-r.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth