Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page how do you react to racism?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.22.2010, 05:02 PM   #101
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
It depends on several different factors. I usually ignore it.
ann ashtray is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 05:09 PM   #102
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I am empathetic, open minded, and generally peaceful. But most people are not. I agree that a single traumatic event shouldn't shape a person's outlook on life -- but there are so many factors that go beyond a single event. I live in a small town, I can't go down the street with multi colored hair without getting death stares. It's still a fairly close minded town, and still one where people know everything about everyone...

Having said that, there aren't too many people of different races here, all in all. So, some of the only interaction that girl has had with anyone of a different race was this incident. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm just saying -- it may be "wrong" for me to, um, I guess, not try to change her mind regarding her attitude -- I'll accept that. But wouldn't it be, more wrong for me to tell her how she should react in the face of such an event?

While I don't agree with her at all, I try to see every side of an argument. And I think she'll grow out of things, but she still has hatred in her heart, and no one to take it out on. She is not some kind of nazi fuckhead or something, just someone who is scared and full of hate. It's one of those things where, the few times she's talked about it, the best thing I can do in my mind is to just not say anything.

I think you are forgetting that we're not talking about this specific case. To be honest I didn't even read your whole post because I was so shocked by the first paragraph.

We're not talking about your friend, we're talking about you and the way you seem to be saying that you think tollerating racism is being open minded" and "empathetic". In general.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 05:14 PM   #103
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
I am going to get killed for this one but...

Rascism isn't going away anytime soon. I don't support racism in ideal terms (that is I believe everyone to be created equal) but I just don't see the practical world forgetting their prejudices anytime soon.

Many people act racist just because they don't want their own to mix with a certain group. I call that preventive. Would I want my daughter or son marrying into just any group? No.

Many races simply want their own to continue and marry their own ethnic group. And it is possible to not like an ethnic groups values as opposed to the whole group.

There are some peoples values who I don't agree with. Like a Chinese industrialist who doesn't have any sense of the environmental damages he causes through his business. I reserve the right to dislike him!

Pox on you Wang Chung!

1- EH?

2- Disliking industries that pollute the environment has nothing to do with disliking chinese people. If that was the logic, everyone would hate americans in general. I dislike cunts, no matter where they're from.

Old 06.22.2010, 05:15 PM   #104
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Me being "open minded" and "empathetic" was in reply to SuchFriends's later post -- you know, like 10 posts after the post you "replied" to. But, um, lemme simplify it for you: I try to ignore, and mind my own business, and if someone IS racist, then it's probably not someone I want to hang out with, but in that specific case which I devoted all my posting time to that you ignored -- well, I can understand how something traumatic would cause someone to act irrational. Simple.
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 05:15 PM   #105
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Not every racist is a klan member. In fact, most aren't even necessarily open about their racism in public. They save it for private, harmless moments with their friends, it isn't necessarily something that they think about on a daily basis.

A person can be outstanding in many other ways, to the point that their racism is completely overshadowed by how overly awesome they are. To ignore their positive qualities based on their hatred for something that doesn't directly involve you is sorta... bigotist.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 05:33 PM   #106
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
This reminds me of the feminist argument atsonicpark had with luxinterior... so all we need now is atsonicpark to argue about sexuality with ANOTHER female member and we should have all the bases covered! Haha!

I could see WHY your girlfriend thinks that way but personally I still don't think it's right. Something bad someone from a certain race has done does not speak for a whole ethnic group. It's definitely a grey area.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 05:36 PM   #107
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
No, Knox isn't worth arguing with, she doesn't even read whole posts.

But anyway. My girlfriend?!

My girl .......... friend.

As I said, if someone chops up my mom and puts her in a garbage bag, who knows how I'd react? It probably wouldn't make me a racist, but some things can make good people turn bad. Can't really comment on it till it happens to me -- I mean, it's easy to be politically correct when everything is flowers and rainbows -- but my life has been absolutely TERRIBLE, and I'm still positive and don't carry hatred in my heart. But I don't expect everyone else to be the same way...
Old 06.22.2010, 05:36 PM   #108
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
A person can be outstanding in many other ways, to the point that their racism is completely overshadowed by how overly awesome they are. To ignore their positive qualities based on their hatred for something that doesn't directly involve you is sorta... bigotist.
Of course people are allowed to have thoughts even if they are not morally right. I'm all for free speech. If someone is awesome and keeps these thoughts to themselves then cool, but if they openly throw the n-bomb around and just act disrespectfully towards another race then that's just a trait I can't personally tolerate regardless of how awesome a person is.

Besides my idea of an awesome people wouldn't be so close-minded with these matters but rather embrace different cultures.
Old 06.22.2010, 05:38 PM   #109
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
No, Knox isn't worth arguing with, she doesn't even read whole posts for one thing.

As I said, if someone chops up my mom and puts her in a garbage bag, who knows how I'd react? It probably wouldn't make me a racist, but some things can make good people turn bad. Can't really comment on it till it happens to me.
Woops sorry I misread. I thought you were talking about your old lady
Old 06.22.2010, 05:40 PM   #110
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Hell no.
Old 06.22.2010, 05:40 PM   #111
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Not every racist is a klan member. In fact, most aren't even necessarily open about their racism in public. They save it for private, harmless moments with their friends, it isn't necessarily something that they think about on a daily basis.

so what are you trying to say? if someone is "awesome" i'm suppose to tollerate them being racist? no racist person can be "awesome", that just cancels the whole thing out.

doesn't directly involve me? - so i'm only supposed to care about racism if i'm a victim of it?

i'm supposed to shut up and let them be their racism-but-awesome selves without even mentioning how disgusting it is?

this is why the world is a rotting bumhole.

Old 06.22.2010, 05:40 PM   #112
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
Tollerating racism is endorsing it.

Sanctimoniously preaching against racism just encourages it.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 05:42 PM   #113
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ unfortunately, I agree. people being people, they never respond well to criticism. which I why I mentioned earlier that you would lose a lot of friends if you based it soley on racist remarks. you would also not be doing "the cause" anything, because they would just assume that because of yr reaction, they are right. if these people are truly yr friends, try leading by example.

brb cup o' piss time now.

Quote:
No, Knox isn't worth arguing with

I dislike you a little bit for saying this.

not enough to neg rep you, as that would imply that I care too much, but it certainly puts you in a negative light.

and by negative light, I do not mean, black light, as that would be racist.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 05:43 PM   #114
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
No, Knox isn't worth arguing with, she doesn't even read whole posts.

As I said, if someone chops up my mom and puts her in a garbage bag, who knows how I'd react? It probably wouldn't make me a racist, but some things can make good people turn bad. Can't really comment on it till it happens to me -- I mean, it's easy to be politically correct when everything is flowers and rainbows -- but my life has been absolutely TERRIBLE, and I'm still positive and don't carry hatred in my heart. But I don't expect everyone else to be the same way...

I don't know. I read that. Like Rob said most violent crimes are commited by white males. And I don't see that causing people to hate all white males.
So there's something way deeper there.

Old 06.22.2010, 05:44 PM   #115
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
No it doesn't. I honestly don't think you believe half the stuff you say... you know it's wrong and in saying that you know we will jump on your back about it. Hence you get a small kick out of your mundane shitty life that consists of getting a rise from people on the internet.
Old 06.22.2010, 05:44 PM   #116
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple

Yeah, a bit like sex education makes children wanna fuck right.

Old 06.22.2010, 05:49 PM   #117
Derek
invito al cielo

Too much sex education would encourage children to do it.. same with drug education. I do think that shoving your view down someone's throat will of course make them revolt against it.. but people that are so openly racist are shoving THEIR view down MY throat.
Old 06.22.2010, 05:53 PM   #118
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
Yeah, a bit like sex education makes children wanna fuck right.

The UK has the worst underage sex rates in Europe according to the World Health Organisation. So sex education does make kids wanna fuck.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2010, 05:53 PM   #119
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Too much sex education would encourage children to do it.. same with drug education. I do think that shoving your view down someone's throat will of course make them revolt against it.. but people that are so openly racist are shoving THEIR view down MY throat.

then you look at them with a shameful eye. practice in the mirror.

shame works much better than preaching....unless yr a catholic, and then it's all the same (lulz).
Old 06.22.2010, 05:58 PM   #120
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
when i see a black person, i often think back to the time when i trade my school lunch to them in exchange for sex behind the trash bins. the trash bins make me realize how lucky i was not to be black, and also made me feel a little dirty when they stuck their large black hands inside me. i never gave the chinese people any school lunch because their fingers and sex members were often too small. i need bigger. i need blacker. i need dumpster bin sex.

racism is often disgusting, but you take it to a new level. kudos.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth