Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page cassettes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.12.2007, 01:07 PM   #61
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Do you still talk to your father?

in grunts and the occaisional hello.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 01:55 PM   #62
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
on a totally different topic, way back in Chicago I handed Thurston a cassette version of my band's demo (besides the cd itself). I did it because I heard he never listens to cds and sometimes just gives them away.

It was kind of surreal but he took it.
Not that now my band is any better. Eh.
Old 11.30.2019, 04:34 AM   #63
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
let's revive this thread! This is basically in reply to this post by NYCgaf16 where he said:
Quote:
cassetes are cool

Can anyone explain me why all of a sudden cassettes have become so popular again? Yes, I liked cassettes when I was young (eighties/early ninties), to record stuff from the radio, and later I would rent CD's from the library and copy them onto cassettes, and whenever I got tired of them I would record something else over them. But buying new records on cassette? I hardly ever did.

This was at a time when there were still walkmans, and no iPod, or even mobile phones. Does anyone still use walkmans, the real original ones where you would put a tape in it, and all of a sudden the sound would be warbled and you'd open the thing and it was one big spaghetti mesh inside. And you'd have to use a pencil and try to recover the darned tape?

I got rid of all my tape collection like 10 years ago, because I didn't have a cassette player anymore, and if I wanted to record something, I would use CDR's. Or just transfer it to mp3's.

Now since a couple of years, artists are releasing stuff on cassette only. It's really bizarre to me. One of my favorite local labels Jesus Factory brings out many of its releases only on cassette nowadays.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2019, 06:48 AM   #64
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Can anyone explain me why all of a sudden cassettes have become so popular again?

I’m sure many thought cassettes fell away into nothingness much like 8-tracks did long ago. For me, it’s a medium I’ve always cherished! Making a mixtape and trading it for one from: Glice, Pookie, Danny Himself or many others here at SYG or with total strangers from around the world......the energy exchanged is personal and hard to duplicate. Being able to share/discuss here at SYG made it all the more fun. Personally, I backed off cassettes a bit when I no longer had a vehicles that had cassette players......but I’ve always had home tape decks!

When I saw Wolf Eyes earlier this month, they had two “tour only” cassettes at the merch table. Being able to take home something only available at shows, only listenable on a tape deck and having a brief discussion with John Olson at time of purchase......it’s a tangible memory NOT duplicated via a download or streaming service.

The number of cassette only labels is staggering. I’m assuming there must be some sort of profit for someone because tapes are selling out, often times before ever being released.

SONY has a new Walkman that’s soon to be released......for $500
If you can find old Walkmans at pawn shops or 2nd hand stores, I suggest buying any you find cheaply priced, because they are going up in value. Oh - Goodwill is a great place to score used tape decks. I picked up at Yamaha for $5 when visiting my cousin in Abilene earlier this year.

Speaking of value, many artist understand that a segment of the music buying public isn’t interested in purchasing $30 vinyls.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth