Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page guitarist: suggestion = Ebow
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.02.2010, 11:10 PM   #1
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses

I just got an Ebow at the suggestion of a friend... long story short, an electronic bow to simulate a real (horsehair) bow. It's a fantastic thing! I have a few real Glasser bows and the Ebow is more dynamic. It has different phase directions, changes drastically depending on where you hold it in relation to the p/u's, how far away and I like to let it slightly rub to get some growl in the hum.

It's great for creating swells and harmonics.

I threw up some recorded samples. Nothing extravagant, these are just short, repetitive linear melodies I was making up on the spot and are just the direct guitar signal recorded into a looper. I used the Ebow differently for each. It's pretty subtle except for the last one....

http://www.thegraphixlab.com/grabbag...2010-03-31.mp3

http://www.thegraphixlab.com/grabbag...alt-tuning.mp3

http://www.thegraphixlab.com/grabbag...alt-tuning.mp3

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2010, 11:27 PM   #2
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
There's something to be said for the attack of a bow and the way you can hear it rubbing against the strings though. Ebows are more synth like.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2010, 05:02 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yea they're nuts

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2010, 12:47 PM   #4
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
throw it away.

my take on using effects of any kind is this: if you can't make something sound awesome without them adding the FX will just be a wonk fest.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2010, 03:17 PM   #5
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
throw it away.

my take on using effects of any kind is this: if you can't make something sound awesome without them adding the FX will just be a wonk fest.
your reasoning lacks the fact that you can make something that would sound awesome without the fx and sounds even better with it.
also, your point basically annihilate most rock music as a wonk fest, since effects are basically everywhere. not to talk about music that is actually based on the sound itself (noise, ambient, etc), which would sound incredibly more boring if there were no effects available to tweak the sound a bit...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2010, 04:21 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
There's something to be said for the attack of a bow and the way you can hear it rubbing against the strings though. Ebows are more synth like.

agreed. I had a group of friends, they had a bad ass band, but they loved that fucking ebow, and I don't like it. as you say, it sounds rather artificial, and I can do ANYTHING that an ebow can do with a little vibrato and perhaps a little added gain/sustain.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2010, 04:46 PM   #7
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
your point basically annihilate most rock music as a wonk fest

I definitely think most rock music being made is a wonk fest. haha.
Old 04.03.2010, 04:52 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I definitely think most rock music being made is a wonk fest. haha.
true, but don't rob peter to pay paul here, effects pedals are the pioneer tools of creative guitar work.. they are how all the greats of the past created the signature tools of guitar exploration which we players are forever indebted, just as the pioneers who amplified the guitar in the first place, and those who invented it from the previous less versatile stringed instruments.

maximum raspect to the pioneer singers and players of instruments.

but fuck the ebow, it sounds as fake as the auto-ya-ya over the oversatured, under-processed multi-effects pedals..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2010, 11:41 PM   #9
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
it sounds as fake as the auto-ya-ya over the oversatured

haha. I think he should invest in the peter frampton/ bon jovi talk box effect next.
Old 04.04.2010, 03:37 AM   #10
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
throw it away.

Curious, and not for the sake of arguing, really...... but, I'm curious since you have such a narrow scope on creating sound.... what eludes the aforementioned tilte of "Wonk Fest" in regards to music out there? What classifies itself as "FX"? An Ebow is not an "effect", it doesn't alter the guitar signal. Isn't it just magnets? It is more or less an organic, excelerated feedback... it's not running through a digital processor? It's stimulating the strings without touching them and faster than I could myself. Where are you at with your tone... since you have it all figured out, and got a lid on it, I'd be curious to hear what your stuff is sounding like.

The only thing wonkery I'm seeing is your babblings full of double standards and hypocrisy

For a Sonic Youth forum, I really find the majority of posters to come across as the most prude form of music snobs across all worlds of internet. It's funny, it's sad... it's kinda baffling

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2010, 08:07 AM   #11
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I love Ebows (when properly used of course).
Old 04.04.2010, 10:20 AM   #12
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
Curious, and not for the sake of arguing, really...... but, I'm curious since you have such a narrow scope on creating sound.... what eludes the aforementioned tilte of "Wonk Fest" in regards to music out there? What classifies itself as "FX"? An Ebow is not an "effect", it doesn't alter the guitar signal. Isn't it just magnets? It is more or less an organic, excelerated feedback... it's not running through a digital processor? It's stimulating the strings without touching them and faster than I could myself. Where are you at with your tone... since you have it all figured out, and got a lid on it, I'd be curious to hear what your stuff is sounding like.

The only thing wonkery I'm seeing is your babblings full of double standards and hypocrisy

For a Sonic Youth forum, I really find the majority of posters to come across as the most prude form of music snobs across all worlds of internet. It's funny, it's sad... it's kinda baffling

For me it goes back to the KISS theory (keep it simple stupid). I think FX are overused... "musicians" go running to them like a crutch when in search for inspiration without even mastering the basics.

(BTW this is not a comment on your links... I haven't checked them out. I just hate that fucking ebow!!)
Old 04.05.2010, 04:32 AM   #13
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops

well said
who gives a fuck if it sounds "artificial", synth like or whatever... what's important is to sound good.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2010, 12:19 PM   #14
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
ebows are interesting though i don't use one and don't really have much interest to. not saying there aren't useful as there is a delicate balance of use and overuse of anything... as for me the closest thing i do that may resemble bowing or an ebow is more physical by either activating the pick ups or strings them selves, i do use a bowing type technique on the strings using a screwdriver there is a definite technique to it to get the most interesting drones and tones (i guess this is a rip from GY!BE among others)...

but obviously do what you like, just be aware of overdoing it...

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2010, 12:34 PM   #15
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
if you use them to make subversive noise then all is good.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2010, 12:41 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I can't stand effects pedals for myself, and they are overused, but that's not a hard-and-fast rule. I like what some people do with them. And some people use them as a crutch. Ebows are often used by Keith Rowe, who's one of the greatest guitarists this fair country has produced. They are also used by stock post-rock bands, poorly.

Essentially, it's odd criticising pedals when you're using amps - it's hardly like the average amp produces the same tone as the acoustic tone of a guitar. Most rock is 'synthetic', but I hardly think that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2010, 10:38 AM   #17
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I can't stand effects pedals for myself, and they are overused, but that's not a hard-and-fast rule. I like what some people do with them. And some people use them as a crutch. Ebows are often used by Keith Rowe, who's one of the greatest guitarists this fair country has produced. They are also used by stock post-rock bands, poorly.

Essentially, it's odd criticising pedals when you're using amps - it's hardly like the average amp produces the same tone as the acoustic tone of a guitar. Most rock is 'synthetic', but I hardly think that matters.

i used to really love keith rowe, then i read more about him and interviews and listening to his stuff the last ten or so years has made me think abit that at the same time that he is very revolutionary in the technique of prepared guitar (i give him alot of credit of such in my own playing) he can also be quite pretentious and self indulgant, not sure how the falling out of him in AMM exactly occured but its pretty sad.

agreed effects are very debatable indeed, i rotate only a handful pedals at most and half are varations of distortion/fuzz, along with a phaser and a delay/looper. i love what guitarists such as Lee and Nels do with all those effects they use, but its just too much on the floor for me to deal with along with trying to concentrate on the instrument itself.

Old 04.06.2010, 10:59 AM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I know what you're saying - I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I generally avoid interviews with musicians these days (except Mark E Smith). Rowe's AMAZING live, one of those moments where 'interesting' music completely took over, became a really intense, emotional experience. Much like John Butcher the other week. God, he was good.

Also, I tend to find most musicians worth their salt become pretentious at some point. Essentially, they get paid to indulge themselves, it's pretty much inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2010, 12:37 PM   #19
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I know what you're saying - I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I generally avoid interviews with musicians these days (except Mark E Smith). Rowe's AMAZING live, one of those moments where 'interesting' music completely took over, became a really intense, emotional experience. Much like John Butcher the other week. God, he was good.

Also, I tend to find most musicians worth their salt become pretentious at some point. Essentially, they get paid to indulge themselves, it's pretty much inevitable.

thats a very good point about seeing a musician live and your example of John Butcher is a very good example, i think he is great as well and doesn't come across nearly as well on record than in a live situation (i've seen him twice)... maybe Rowe i would have a refound appreciation for if i were to ever see him live.

Old 04.06.2010, 02:14 PM   #20
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
throw it away.

ha ha ha ha haha thats really dumb to be asserting on the SONIC YOUTH board!
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth