Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Anyone want to help me learn Spanish?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.15.2006, 05:55 PM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
como se dice "condorito" en ingles?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 06:34 PM   #22
Pablitzen
the destroyed room

Pablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to behold
no se si en otros paises hay cóndores... "little condor" ?
Old 06.15.2006, 06:35 PM   #23
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
If you don't have a lot of time, you won't learn the language. I've taken 2 years of Japanese and hardly know enough to find the bathroom (though I can blame that on foolishly relying on my good short-term memory to blow through tests). Going to Spain will help you immensly in and of itself, though. So don't worry about it. I'd recommend a grammar book (Barron's has really good compact ones), a dictionary, and at least a beginner's course on it before going. Familiarize yourself with some phrases and basic vocabulary so you can survive, and try to familiarize yourself with sentence structure (i.e. where verbs and subjects go, and if you're really good maybe even a little conjugation). That'll prepare you about as much as I think you can in a month.

If you do have a good amount of time, one more recommendation but more for the long term if you're really interested. I was over at my friends house a few days ago, and when his roomate came home (he and his roomate both being native Japanese) I was lost in a whirlwind of a language I thought I knew a bit of. So I picked up this Learn In Your Car Japanese thing. Comes with 3 hours of general language aquisition and 9 hours of vocabulary/grammar practice, and they do have a Spanish one. It's pretty nice from what I can see, and reviews averaged out to about 4.5/5. So if you have $40-50 and a lot of time, you could look into that. I don't know how helpful it might be prior to your trip, though.

Ultimately, there's no subsitute for being in the country. Which you're priveleged to get a chance to do. Next to that, you'll need to take classes. I'm sure !@#$%! would be happy to invite you to his house for a full free course.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 07:16 PM   #24
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablitzen
no se si en otros paises hay cóndores... "little condor" ?

ja ja claro, hay condores en california.

me referia a este:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I'm sure !@#$%! would be happy to invite you to his house for a full free course.

ha ha yah right! like i'm going to let internet psychos into my home
Old 06.15.2006, 07:17 PM   #25
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ borracho
Old 06.15.2006, 07:25 PM   #26
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
heracio senor
no seas mamila. este buey esta bien pedo...
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 08:47 PM   #27
Pablitzen
the destroyed room

Pablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ja ja claro, hay condores en california.

me referia a este:

ha ha yah right! like i'm going to let internet psychos into my home

no se si pueda haber una traducción para nuestro gran Condorito (viva Chile !!)...es un nombre (aunque existen traducciones para algunos nombres del español al ingles)
Old 06.15.2006, 11:11 PM   #28
wearescientists
bad moon rising

wearescientists is a jewel in the roughwearescientists is a jewel in the roughwearescientists is a jewel in the rough
buy a spanish phrasebook! its so much more practical than a dictionary.

im going to be in spain from july 20-aug 17

i've heard that a concoction of coke mixed with red wine is quite tasty...
it may also help you dance better
wearescientists is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 11:58 AM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

that's calimocho-- i used to drink it out of a fire extinguisher

but anyway where are the books linked? i'll likely be gone over the weekend so hurry.
Old 06.16.2006, 05:12 PM   #30
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
when i traveled to Spain with my class as a young teenager, our teacher advised us to get a certain guide which was actually partly like a phrasebook... we all bought it and discovered that there were like 2 or 3 pages entirely dedicated to insults (stuff like "me cago en diez sobre tu madre / tus muertos"...)... this is nearly the only thing we all learned during the trip...

by the way, i like the expression "me cago en la leche"... at work i have a norwegian in front of me (with a spanish girlfriend) who used to complain all the time about the work, muttering "me cago en la leche" when you would ask how he was today... he's not saying it anymore, sadly, since our spanish colleague left...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2006, 03:22 PM   #31
bytheriver
bad moon rising

bytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nice
Hi, this is a delayed cheers for the advice symbols dude, looking forward to that dinner. After looking at it over the weekend Ive realised learning a language isn't as simple as it looks (theres a lot of words and they dont go in the right order) so I've invested in a book/cd course (Teach Yourself: Spanish) put off my trip for a couple of weeks and I'll enrol on a course when I get there for a few weeks.

I wish you knew what that book with the insults is, i love insults, I rewatched amores perros and the only thing I gleaned from it was puto madre, which is useful
bytheriver is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth