Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Knitting Factory pics
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.09.2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://imnotherzog.blogspot.com/2008...tall-firs.html
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
jesus christ you found my blog! Sorry for the poor quality, I think those are probably the best I had, did that 2 am last night. Id have to look through them again once I go home. Now thinking about it it was a fun fun fun show. The q and a session was classic. I dont know if the humor comes across in my post.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 10:15 AM   #3
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
His review pretty much says it all, although I thought the response to mv/ee was much better than he did, although I also heard people complaining. But I'm very prejudiced when it comes to that. I also thought his comment on Ryan Sawyer from Tall Firs was right, I saw him Sunday playing with Charles Gayle and Hill Green at The Stone and he ripped, he is totally wasted (talentwise) in the Tall Firs. The show was really oversold, it was really packed. Also, it seems like a new thing where they blast the music between bands through the pa at a volume as loud or LOUDER than the bands. It just makes it very difficult to try and speak to anybody, you're basically yelling at them. Its always been loud but it seems they've turned it up even more lately.

There was some interesting stuff for sale, I just put on my poseur helmet and picked up the new cassette with Leslie Keffer Kim and T and also a mv/ee tape.

I recorded but there was so much crowd talk I'm not sure they're going to be usable.

Very good show but not quite as exciting as the 2 Kilslug shows I saw Fri and Sat...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 10:22 AM   #4
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Also, it seems like a new thing where they blast the music between bands through the pa at a volume as loud or LOUDER than the bands. It just makes it very difficult to try and speak to anybody, you're basically yelling at them. Its always been loud but it seems they've turned it up even more lately.
Wasn't that Derek from Awesome Color dj'ing between sets.?....

You didn't like VU's "waiting for my man" right b4 thurston started the set?
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah speaking of sound quality issues, during that break some guy yelled to turn up the vocal, and T said he couldn't hear them either. I had my plugs in so didn't really notice how loud it was.

I like Knitting Factory better than practically any place you can mention, so right there it made it a better show (than the Williamsburg show last year).

btw- did you notice? - Cody Ranaldo flyers on the wall, Feb 3.
Old 01.09.2008, 12:48 PM   #6
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
Wasn't that Derek from Awesome Color dj'ing between sets.?....

You didn't like VU's "waiting for my man" right b4 thurston started the set?

yup to the first and yup on the 2nd, I was a little slow realizing T was playing along and didn't turn on my taper right away stupidly.

Derek's song selection was great, but the PA was just so loud it creates a real antisocial environment I think...in the sense its really impossible to communicate...and there were some really attractice women there, but how do you start a conversation with them, by screaming in their ear "THATS A GREAT TSHIRT YOU HAVE ON" as she wipes away the spittle from you screaming so loud?? I tried talking to my friend in the balconey and finally my throat was raw and I was just like, ok, I'll scream at you later...

it was a really good gig, I'm just a little overexposed by the awesome shows I saw over the weekend: KIlslug/Psycho Fri; mv/ee (almost 2 hours!!!) and also Kilslug/Full Blown Aids Sat and then Charles Gayle/Hill Green/Ryan Sawyer trio Sun...no filler anywhere
Old 01.09.2008, 02:33 PM   #7
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, the music was way too loud between sets. I was on the balcony and wanted to go introduce myself to Steve, but I didn't because I was afraid I'd have to yell just to say hi
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...e_perform.html

Why Was Thurston Moore Performing Without His Wedding Ring?

Moore plays an eardrum-bursting set.Photo: Edd Westmacott / Retna

Playing in a lineup with abrasive young rockers from his Ecstatic Peace! record label last night at the Knitting Factory, forever young Sonic Youth–er Thurston Moore thrashed, jammed, and summoned feedback — from an acoustic guitar. The solemn-sounding “Honest James,” for one, got heavy, sweaty, and fast, with Moore squeezing his eyes shut even though they were well guarded by a fringe of hair. As the night closed, he pulled a ring out from his jeans pocket. “This is my wedding ring,” said Moore, ever the family-oriented rock star. “But it causes too much friction on my fourth finger with the acoustic for some reason.” People took the tender moment as an opportunity to shout out questions, “When’s the next album coming out?” among them. “There are albums coming out every day. Which one are you specifically referring to?” Moore replied. So, yeah, he's not mellowing anytime soon. —Michael D. Ayers
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 03:41 PM   #9
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
yup to the first and yup on the 2nd, I was a little slow realizing T was playing along and didn't turn on my taper right away stupidly.

Derek's song selection was great, but the PA was just so loud it creates a real antisocial environment I think...in the sense its really impossible to communicate...and there were some really attractice women there, but how do you start a conversation with them, by screaming in their ear "THATS A GREAT TSHIRT YOU HAVE ON" as she wipes away the spittle from you screaming so loud?? I tried talking to my friend in the balconey and finally my throat was raw and I was just like, ok, I'll scream at you later...

it was a really good gig, I'm just a little overexposed by the awesome shows I saw over the weekend: KIlslug/Psycho Fri; mv/ee (almost 2 hours!!!) and also Kilslug/Full Blown Aids Sat and then Charles Gayle/Hill Green/Ryan Sawyer trio Sun...no filler anywhere

Hmmmm. Yes I see your problem

cramped quarters + attractive ladies + loud jams = difficulty interacting

But lets work this out, you were taping? So you weren't trying to communicate at all during the sets right? See there are times during quiet sections of jams or between songs where you could have gotten your "nice t-shirt" line in and possibly had a much wilder night.
Old 01.09.2008, 04:49 PM   #10
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
cramped quarters + attractive ladies + loud jams = difficulty interacting
But lets work this out, you were taping? So you weren't trying to communicate at all during the sets right? See there are times during quiet sections of jams or between songs where you could have gotten your "nice t-shirt" line in and possibly had a much wilder night.

yer funny bro!
No that is a drawback to the stealth taping I do - sometimes ( i.e., rarely) women who smile at me during the gig and I smile back but I don't talk, and kind of hold up my taper. I don't want to be like my friend who won't let me hear some of his recordings because he was hitting on some chick and she turned him down. At Kilslug this wild women was dancing around and doing pushups right in front of me (facing forward if you understand what was going on) and she wanted me to come out and dance with her but I couldn't with the taper and then she was gone after the set, I was kinda gone too...

It was just REALLY REALLY loud.

During the Religious Knives I went up to record from the balcony as I had the feeling there would be a lot of crowd talking on the floor and maybe in the balcony I could put my mics above it. I was standing there and felt a tap on my shoulder and there was mv, I waved at him, then I looked over and there was Thurston watching the band, and he had about 2 minutes being left alone before people focused in on him and started talking to him...after a few minutes they went into the artists' area.
Old 01.09.2008, 07:35 PM   #11
the destroyed room

But don't you think personal interaction trumps archived material?

That concert was all out fun last night. The Knit wins again, not only was the mainspace happening but down in the old office was some weird core rock rock type stuff going down. Some guy in a white leotard or unitard? or some sort of white jumpsuit doing mime moves to the guitar solos and in the 2nd floor space was a saxaphone/drms/bass/gtr with spacey female chanting a going on and off. NY is still king of kings.
Old 01.10.2008, 10:28 AM   #12
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
But don't you think personal interaction trumps archived material?.
I'm not sure! I could've had a fine conversation between bands possibly if I could've been heard. I think I figured out why they play so the music so loud. It creates an 'illusion' that "something is happening' - even if there IS nothing happening other than people standing around in a room taking legal drugs. The thing is, that show WAS happening! Didn't need any illusion.

But you know I was transferring my recording last night and it came out better than I hoped other than a single drop out...I'll have the show forever and can share it with friends, even use it as a pick up line, its a short hop from "Wanna listen to my Thurston show" to "Can I you put your finger in my butt".

DID NYCTAPER post a copy of the show?

Quote:
NY is still king of kings.
As many issues as there are, NYC has THE BEST MUSIC SCENE IN THE WORLD right now, hands down. Does any place even come close? Between the bands that reside here and the touring bands, its the best.
Old 01.10.2008, 10:39 AM   #13
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
btw- did you notice? - Cody Ranaldo flyers on the wall, Feb 3.
KNITTING FACTORY:
Sunday, Feb 3, 2008 // DOORS 8:00 PM // ADV $5// DOS $5

Cody Ranaldo

Beat/synth/noise/weird

The Skaters
The Skaters are Berlin's, previously San Francisco's (by way of San Diego), Spencer Clark and James Ferraro. In addition to being Skaters, the two have roughly one thousand solo projects between them.

Kelli Rudick
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2008, 12:25 PM   #14
akesin
Administrator

akesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's assesakesin kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks to all of you that helped make Tuesday night such a good time. I know all of the artists had a blast and we're already scheming something for spring/summer so stay tuned...

Here are some shots of MV+EE that Liz Clayton took.
akesin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2008, 02:23 PM   #15
tesla69
Banned

Here's some pix from prefix mag

http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/ecst...actory-photos/
Old 01.10.2008, 03:19 PM   #16
agoston
little trouble girl

agoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's asses
yes. thanks guys for making the show fun and super easy going. it was a good good time.

here is some other press the night got:
http://www.sohojournal.com/?p=519

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/events/rock-pop-soul/38969/ecstatic-peace-night-with-mv-and-ee-and-the-golden-road-thurston-moore-groop-tall-firs-religious-knives

http://www.villagevoice.com/nycguide/ve273,6.html
agoston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 01:07 AM   #17
Georgekrz
stalker

the guy who shot those photos for prefix mag was the one with the giant camera. No kidding I think he must have shot a 1000 photos. He never stopped. It was crazy. That's the guy Thurston made a comment to, about his giant lens.
Old 01.11.2008, 01:08 AM   #18
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i fucking missed this show

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth