Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page reassessing a thousand leaves
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.12.2011, 02:55 AM   #41
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I think Contre is very good opener!!! I think it kind tuning you into right mood! Of course itīs not typical roc-album opener, but I think it is one reason I like it a lot!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2011, 03:00 AM   #42
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
And I listen always the whole album (I couldnīt imagine to listen only part of it, I think it is so great entity! But I very rare listen only part of the album, I do it almost only with compilations).
Old 01.12.2011, 08:41 PM   #43
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, for me this is a total 'album', rather than one where I tend to pick out certain songs. All the little different swirling 'unfinished' sounding bits are absolutely what make it one of their best. Like I think Heather Angel is a perfect example. What devides people into those who like Sunday/Wildflower Soul/Hits Of Sunshine/Karen Koltrane, but think the album is mixed, and those who adore the whole thing, is that the latter group will get to Heather Angel and just be like 'Yes! There is literally no better imaginable ending to this album that some whispy beautiful guitar scraps with Kim floating around them that suddenly turns into a broken sounding righteous jam and then just ENDS.' I'm very happy to fall into the latter camp.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2011, 06:08 AM   #44
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
the first time I heard Heather Angel I almost creamed my pants.....well.....just at the 2nd half....where they atart jammin'.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2011, 06:09 AM   #45
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
and well.....the slow part before the jam just gave me a boner...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2011, 08:07 AM   #46
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
the first time I heard Heather Angel I almost creamed my pants.....well.....just at the 2nd half....where they atart jammin'.

First times I listened Heather Angel I didnīt know what to think about it. To me it sounded that they couldnīt carry on to be serious anymore and they started to play like children (in the end of the song). Now I like it a lot. Maybe I was too serius guy earlier!
Old 01.14.2011, 04:01 AM   #47
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli

you talk about whats going on at the end, but since the start there is, depending on your mood or how you wanna see it, there is surely smth playful. in french tickler too.
its their lullaby aspect. dont you just love it? (washing machine has it a lot)

Yes, I love the whole Washing Machine and also Thousand leaves a lot already in the beginning! But there wasnīt that big changes on the middle of song before Heather Angel, that was my point. And that end part is kind of " we just play, no matter what it sounds"
Old 01.14.2011, 02:31 PM   #48
SYHamilton
little trouble girl

SYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's asses
I always hated how they cut out part of the noise sequence in the Sunday video - right after the ballerinas, when Culkin takes off his hat.
Old 01.17.2011, 05:08 PM   #49
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

I disliked "Contre" for a long, long time, and perhaps that had some effect on my notorious opinion of the album itself. Don't know...but I like the track quite a lot now...though I rarely listen to this album in its entirety anymore (usually a side or two of vinyl rather than the CD from front to back). I dig that they decided to open the album with a piece snipped from a larger improvisation - it's basically just an injection of the SYR spirit into the lead-off track from the major label album! Then "Sunday" starts and everyone can breathe...for a few minutes...

I agree with this completely, and I was having just such an epiphany the last time I was listening to this record which is why I brought this thread back up in the first place.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2011, 07:45 PM   #50
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
The only Sonic Youth album I still (and have since I discovered in circa '99) listen to on a regular basis. They really nailed it on that one.
Old 01.17.2011, 11:55 PM   #51
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Tied with SYR5 and NYC Ghosts And Flowers for my least favorite SY record.......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2011, 02:23 AM   #52
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I wish SY were one of those bands that releases a live album after every tour because a live record from this tour would be my favorite thing ever. As it stands, good album.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2011, 09:01 AM   #53
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I wish SY were one of those bands that releases a live album after every tour

Like Iron Maiden does (almost). That's a good idea...... I wish Maiden would have done one after the Matter Of Life And Death tour I felt those were the strongest songs since they got back to the original lineup + Janick........
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2011, 04:12 PM   #54
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I wish SY were one of those bands that releases a live album after every tour because a live record from this tour would be my favorite thing ever. As it stands, good album.

This is why, particularly in the post-Washing Machine era I have consistently compared live sonic youth with the grateful dead. SY tapers where are you?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2020, 12:09 PM   #55
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

We're all aware of these by now:
https://sonicyouth.bandcamp.com/albu...s-angeles-1998

But dang, really enjoyed this one in particular!
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2020, 12:24 PM   #56
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcaeV6nH...on_share_sheet

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2020, 10:19 PM   #57
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Did I post in this thread?

Fuckin', A Thousand Leaves is my favourite Sonic youth album, and Kim, especially, is at her peak on this. She is like Macca on Revolver here.

And fuck you all, Contre Le Sexisme is a Masterpiece.
Old 04.18.2020, 01:30 AM   #58
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
I posted this before on a different thread, but what the hecks:

Quote:
Okay, maybe I am being a bit bratty when I pick this under-appreciated SY album over Bad Moon Rising or the Zensor EP or… But I absolutely LOVE this record, so to heck with the rest of you! Recorded at a weird time in their career, after the rise of the "grunge" scene that embraced them and made them almost famous, and done when Kim Gordon wasn't playing much bass - preferring the guitar - I think this record is chock full of amazing songs. On "Snare, Girl" Thurston Moore actually CROONS, and the results are so wistfully attractive. "Karen Koltrane" is one of Lee Ranaldo's best moments. "Heather Angel" is a bracing closer. I never quite got with "Orange Sunshine" though. But tough shit - this record is amazing anyway! It's a great combination of accessible songs (like "Sunday") and incredibly successful sonic explorations. It deserves more attention.

—Nels Cline, 2015

https://dustedmagazine.tumblr.com/po...out-nels-cline

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2020, 08:16 AM   #59
hedgehog
empty page

hedgehog has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Contre is one of the best introductions to an album I've ever heard... really theatrical!
hedgehog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2020, 03:23 PM   #60
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog
Contre is one of the best introductions to an album I've ever heard... really theatrical!
Hear hear! This is probably my favourite Sonic Youth album. First one I got actually, as a present for Christmas '98

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth