Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Seven Ages of Rock documentary starts 19 May
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.24.2007, 07:19 AM   #121
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The stadium Rock one?

It was better than I thought - although they did spend an unreasonable amount of time on The Police. Lot's of Springsteen which might bore a few here but i'm a fan so, no probs there.

I still find it weird the way that Guns n Roses have been totally written out of the whole thing. I'm not saying they were the MOST important but they surely deserve SOME kind of coverage, at least.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 07:23 AM   #122
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
^Nah i've seen that one, there was the Alternative rock one yesterday so I was wondering about that.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 08:06 AM   #123
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
It was ok. Nothing new to add.

Concentrating on REM so much was a bit odd, the dullest of the 80's college rock bands.

And no mention of SY at all, unless I blinked and missed it.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 08:57 AM   #124
farmhouse
bad moon rising

farmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
It was ok. Nothing new to add.

Concentrating on REM so much was a bit odd, the dullest of the 80's college rock bands.

And no mention of SY at all, unless I blinked and missed it.

you did blink and miss it.

not so much a 'verbal' mention, but definately a 'visual' and 'aural' one.

as an intro to the programme a set of images were flashed across the screen as if to say 'here's what we'll cover this week' . . . and about 3-5 seconds of that was dirty era kim in shades and thurston going ape with a drumstick in his guitar . . . shortly after, a snippet of daydream nation was played over the top of some REM story . . . .

i was waiting for it, but it never came. oh, and they showed a sonic youth tour poster during the black flag bit, but not once were they mentioned properly . . . . which i thought was a fucking disgrace . .. since they'd hinted at it . .. .
farmhouse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 09:02 AM   #125
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
It certainly concentrated on the blander side of 'alternative rock': REM, Replacements, Pixies, Pearl Jam. Probably the least 'alternative' of all the rock bands of the time.
Old 06.24.2007, 11:41 AM   #126
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
Absolutely fucking shite. This documentary series is the leader of all things shite in the world. Hiroshima is a fucking vicarage tea party compared to the shitty ages of rock, it's such an atrocity. It's a fucking show for the blind lead by a one-eyed person with fucking cataracts. Not only did they only devote half a fucking minute to bands other than R.E.M. and Nirvana on this shitty "Left of the Dial" so-called show, they fucking couldn't even fucking pronounce Husker Du properly. Nirvana were barely even fucking influenced by them. Now we'll have a few fucking generations of Britons who fucking think that the only thing '80s America produced was a handful of shitty jangly R.E.M. ditties, and there goes a whole section of music's history. I wouldn't wish the seven ages of rock on anyone. The title of the show doesn't even deserve fucking capital letters.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 11:59 AM   #127
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob
they fucking couldn't even fucking pronounce Husker Du properly.

hahaha, what'd they say?
Old 06.24.2007, 12:10 PM   #128
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I can't pronounce Husker Du properly. But then I don't think they're all that great so I'm not that bothered.

This was bound to be shit. The reason they focussed on REM so much was because they are easily the most popular of the 80s alternative bands and people like them. Let's face it, the general public don't want any kind of in depth coverage, or any coverage, of bands like The Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth et al. Black Flag was probably only in there at all because Rollins is a pretty gregarious guy who gives a good interview.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 01:26 PM   #129
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
It was never going to be perfect but the programme yesterday was very dissappointing. At the start i thought it was going to be a television version of Our Band Could be your life which would have been great but there was far too much Nirvana and REM. I recognised one of the TRilogy parts from Daydream Nation near the start but i dont think Sonic Youth were mentioned at all, and seeing how the main thrust was Nirvana rather than 80s indie rock (it was basically Nirvana and REM not "alternative rock", though that term repulses me) youd think theyd highlight all the other stuff more than they did. Im really only a casual Nirvana fan but surely theres much more to mention than what they did. Still, i wasnt expecting much anyway and they did put up some Black Flag, possibly because they had Rollins in an interview.
But for any youngsters looking for something more than Nirvana there were nothing more than passing references to other bands from the time, and thats the worst thing
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 01:28 PM   #130
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo
hahaha, what'd they say?

Someone said Husker as you pronounce Busker
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 01:32 PM   #131
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

haha
Old 06.24.2007, 03:40 PM   #132
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
After a couple of half-promising episodes at the start, this series has turned into the worst bland, idiots-guide overview load of nonsense I've ever seen. Last night's show was worse than pointless. They should have just let Rollins speak for the full 60 minutes.
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 04:06 PM   #133
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
if i had wanted to see a nirvana documentary i already have a few i could have watched instead.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 05:35 PM   #134
matt74m
little trouble girl

matt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of light
But.......they did have a (brief) interview with Kim Deal, that made me spend the whole day listening to Breeders albums.....and we got to see how badly Krist Novoselic has aged.

Did anyone else buy that Sweet 75 album he released, one of the worst records of all time.
matt74m is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 06:35 PM   #135
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i loved kim deal, she was awesome!!! amd they did play part of a sonic youth song during some scene. just no mention of them, which is a shame.
Old 06.24.2007, 06:39 PM   #136
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Kim Deal's haircut now is awful though.

Get back on MSN screamingskull!
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2007, 06:44 PM   #137
screamingskull
invito al cielo

okay okay!
Old 06.25.2007, 07:14 AM   #138
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
hah - i missed the one episode I wanted to see... doesnt sound like i missed much though.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 10:53 AM   #139
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt74m
Did anyone else buy that Sweet 75 album he released, one of the worst records of all time.

So you were the other person who bought it?
Old 06.25.2007, 02:53 PM   #140
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i tried to buy it but i never saw it anywhere
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth